355 roof halfway down | FerrariChat

355 roof halfway down

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Fengtau, Jan 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fengtau

Fengtau Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2004
    Malaysia
    #1 Fengtau, Jan 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys,
    First of all,Happy New Year to everyone...
    Hopefully somebody can guide me on this...
    I just changed one of the roof pipe between RH ram to hydraulic pump.(part #12).
    Hooked the SD1 on it-everything looks in-order under "CYCLE"(seats movement,door opening/closing,parkbrake,beeping sound ).Everything works fine,operated as they should!As far as I aware,should'nt be the problem for those sensors/potentiometers seats.
    But when I tried to open the roof,the thing stuck half way.Can't open completely down even using emegency switch .
    I tried to bleed the haydraulic system but I have no idea which part have to start it-must be a proper way to bleed.
    Does anyone know the rite procedure of the bleeding.
    Any info/guide greatly appreciated,many thanks in advance!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Greeting Hans,
    About 2 months ago I had to add fluid to my top system. In order to bleed the system I put the top into full down positios then held the button in the down position for about 10 seconds. Then put it up and continued to hold it for about another 10 seconds. I did this twice and the top works perfect now.
    In order to get your top down you will have to use the emergency tools. They are located next to the parking brake. The top mechanism bolt is located behind the drivers seat. As you turn it , the top will raise or lower.
    Good luck. Darrell.

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #3 No Doubt, Jan 1, 2006
    You may need to bleed or at least top up your system, but before you go to all of that trouble, check that your center top bar isn't stuck down.

On my manual top 348 Spider, we've got to push this bar up by hand. Likewise, your 355 auto-top has to push it up. If it doesn't go up as the top is pulling back to go down, then your top will only close half-way (as you described). Perhaps you can help it.

See pic.

4. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    damn...sounds like ya got yourself into a pickle therr...wish i could help///

5. Fengtau

Fengtau Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2004
    Malaysia
    #5 Fengtau, Jan 5, 2006
    Dear all,
    Finally,I got the rite procedure of bleeding the top hydraulic system from the "official" workshop manual.
    I think I have to share this to everyone,especially for 355 spider owners...

A-Solinoid valve
    B-Compensation valve
    1-Pressure bleed screw
    2-Main piston
    3-Secondary piston
    4-compensation valve fastening
    5-Main piston bleed
    6-electrical pump
    7-compensation curcuit opening screw

FILLING AND BLEEDING PROCEDURE
    1)Disconnect the right and left primary cylinders from the hood frame at the fork ends at the two pivot bolts(#2)

2)Check the oil level in the tank with the primary cylinders fully retracted.Top up if necessary,without exceeding the "Max" level.

3)Using the emergency push buttons put the primary cylinders through 5 complete cycles to bleed the pump curcuit.Whlist the cylinders are moving the pump noise should be a constant pitch.Any changes in pitch indicates air in the pump curcuit.

4)End the cycles with the cylinders fully retracted.Then check the oil level again!

5)Open the manual valve located on the pump body,opposite the ECU.(#1)

6)Hold the left primary cylinder with the fork against the bulkhead panel with the piston fully compressed.The bleed nipple should be at the top!

7)Invert the right primary cylinder so that the fork is at the top.

8)Fit the bleed tube to the nipple of the left cylinder and put the lower end in a suitable to contain the displaces fluid.

9)Open the bleed plug

10)Pull out the piston of the right cylindeer by hand WITH the bleed nipple open on the left cylinder.This will purge any air from the cylinders themselves and the high pressure pipes connecting them.

11)Close the bleed nipple(6Nm)to prevent any air being drawn back into system,the top up the reservoir to restore the level.

12)Close the manual valve(#1)

13)Open the manual valve located at the bottom of the compensation valve(#7)

14)Using the emergency push button,operated the pump to fully extend the piston of the left primary cylinder.Both pistons should now be fully extended.

15)Close the manual valve located at the bottom of the compensation valve(#7)

16)Using the emergency push button,put the primary cylinders through 5 complete cycles.

17)At the end of this stage the pistons of both cylinders should be synchronized and there should be no change of tone.Any changes of tones indicates air in the system and the entire procedure must be repeated from step 4 until all the air has been purged.

18)At this stage cylinders must be fully retracted and the oil level in the reserveoir must be between "MIN - MAX".
    DO NOT OVERFILL!!

19)Reconnect both primary cylinders the hood mechanism.

20)Test opening and closing.

Kaz-355 likes this.
  6. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    This info alone is worth the cost of subscribing. Thanks! Did it work?

7. Fengtau

Fengtau Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2004
    Malaysia
    Yup,absolutely.Happy with the top now.Opening and closing faster than before!!Those who "trapped" with the similar problem,why don't you try?Good luck!

8. kev355

kev355 Rookie

Jul 6, 2006
    steps #2 of official workshp man posted by fengtau say to top of if necess..how
    where would you fill at this step do you unscrew bolts holding resevoir below pump or is there a fill line?