F1 360 Clutch wear (SDII test) | FerrariChat

F1 360 Clutch wear (SDII test)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Modenafan, Aug 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I know there have been a lot of threads regarding F1 clutch wear. When I purchased my 360 it needed a clutch. The car had 5,300 miles on it and I was told it was driven extensively in the city and probably in auto mode. In the last 8 months I have put 3,800 miles on the car. I've taken extra care, or as much as one can, as to not abuse the clutch. When I see traffic stopped ahead, I'll shift into neutral and use the brakes rather than down shift through the gears. I keep the car in neutral at lights and when stopped for more than a few seconds. I've tried to apply all that I've learned from the various threads here on fchat to preserve clutch wear. When I'm on a spirited drive, I drive the car as it's meant to be driven. Lots of shifts at 8,500 rpm. I don't believe I've sacrificed any performance, just the great sound once in a while of those cool down shifts.

I took my car in today for an oil change and asked them to put the car on the SDII machine and let me know what my clutch wear is so far. Drum roll.....................6% wear. Maybe those rumors of 5-8,000 miles per clutch has been exaggerated? It's nice when you take your car in and get good news. I'll update the thread each oil change.

Mods, if this should be in the technical section, feel free to move. Thanks.

2. russell

russell Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    sacramento
    Full Name:
    russell
    hey, congrats on your long life (clutch).
    But without exaggerating at all, I just sold my 2001 360 spyder with 5800 miles on the car. I just spent over 4k and had a new clutch put in it.. I will try to down load before and after photos of the clutch, but it was toasted.
    It would pop into nuetral every time i shifted into 3rd gear. and sometimes while going in 4th or 5th it would just fall into nuetral and rev to 8k rpm,s.
    How do you explain this???

3. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My car did the exact same thing when I test drove it. I had to let off the gas when I shifted and then look to see that I've engaged a gear and then get on the throttle again. My clutch was total toast too. The explanation that I received was that the previous owner only drove in the city, stop and go traffic and probably left it in auto mode. In auto mode the car shifts excessively and at low rpm so that there is much more wear. This was only a guess. I've never had the car in auto mode and do what I can to preserve clutch wear.

4. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How much did you pay for your new clutch?
    Thanks!!
    MM

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I think the biggest culprit is stop and go traffic. Also, if you are using reverse alot that will wear it fast too. In reverse the clutch never engages, it only slips.

6. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    It's funny seeing precise sounding numbers like 6%. From what I understand, this is a software extrapolated value which depends heavily on correct initial setup by a service technician. No real measurement is taking place.

In any case, I'd rather see 6% wear than 56% wear in the report! :)

7. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I dont think these figures in real life mean a lot.

My 355 showed a wear on SD2 of 78% when it was removed in fact it was only half worn.

Also, I had mine checked regularly and at the start the wear rate seems low then ALL OF A SUDDEN it shoots up moving from say 40% - 50% in a 3rd of the miles you did before- driving in tyhe same manner of course

8. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The clutch was about $3,900 installed.

9. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The service managner said the exact same thing about how important the setup is. He said the number should be accurate since they did the original setup when they did the installation. I still use the number as a gauge and will check periodically for fun.

10. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I could see how that could happen, time will tell. I just thought it was interesting that a lot of what I read told me I'd be needing a new clutch every 5-8 thousand miles. I'm using this number as a gauge. I think it just means I should be able to exceed the numbers I had read about?

11. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Based on my experience of 2 F1 cars the life is about 18-20k miles

12. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There's a number I can live with. Thanks for the info.

13. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Jon, good news on your clutch and your excellent driving/tranny technique.

F1 clutch wear can be accelerated significantly by city stop and go driving. It's the initial launch from a stand still that can cause excessive slippage, depending upon one's style and technique. Also, when the tranny is in reverse gear, the clutch is constantly slipping -- a tremendous cause of wear is reversing up an incline, as when someone backs up a driveway into a garage or the like. You need to try to avoid those kind of maneuvers.

As to the wear % indicated by the SD2 computer, I would agree with 911 Fan that it's just a rough estimate, but a useful one. I've seen a high reading (over 100%) where the clutch was not slipping or popping into neutral. Also, a couple cars showed a 55% wear and had all the symptoms requiring a clutch replacement nevertheless. YMMV ;)

14. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Jack, thanks for the info. Reverse can definitely be a killer. I try to give it a quick shot of gas and then shift into neutral and back into where ever it is I need to go.

More importantly, your 430 is hot!!!!!! Great color combo on everything. Drive it in good health.

15. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #15 Jack(LA), Aug 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Latest update: 7,300 miles, 7% wear. At this rate I'll get about 1 BILLION MILES on the clutch.

17. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Very impressing! Good to know, that intelligent driving has such a good effect on the F1-clutch!

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

That is not unprecedented. When the correct software package is used and the system is set up correctly on the SD2 when the clutch is installed (very important as your service manager said) very good clutch life has been experienced by quite a few owners. And under those conditions not only is the SD2 read out reasonably accurate but clutch life is much longer. For example I have a client that with a proper set up as well as training has gone 15k miles with only 17% wear the last time I saw the car. His original clutch went only 5k miles or so.

Auto mode utilizes the same programming as manual mode for the clutch and does not shift any more than many drivers that get exellent wear. The low grip mode however is a clutch killer.

19. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Newest numbers as of 5/25. 10,600 miles with 10% clutch wear. So far so good. :)

20. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    In my opinion, the premature clutch wear problem is overstated. I sold my 99' 355 F1 with the original clutch and 22,000 miles. It was working perfectly. My 03' 360 F1 Spider has 7000 miles, and does not show any sign of premature cluth wear. Tim

21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm not expert on ferrari clutches, but it seems to me that it would take a long time to wear it out - if driven correctly. In my hot rodding days, most of the problems I had with clutches related to excessive slipping of them, which burns the face. Once the face starts to burn, it causes further slipping, then further burning, etc, etc. When I was a kid, I always thought it was cool to slip the clutch on a hill. That clutch lasted about 7500 miles. One day while driving in 5th gear on the freeway, I noticed I could push the accelerator in and the RPM's would go up, but the car wouldn't go any faster :) When I took the clutch disc out, it was black as night on the face!

The only other problems I have had with clutches is snapping the ring on the pressure plate (due to hard shifts), but we are talking datsuns here, not ferraris.

I bet you can get 30K miles out of a 360 clutch if it's adult driven on the street and only see 25% to 30% wear. When I sold my 355, it had 15K miles on it and no clutch problems at all.

Ray

22. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    Not on a F1 Tran and Clutch you wont..
    -only if you started and didnt stop until you it 30K-

-a

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Correct, I meant the 6 speed manual. I'm guessing the F1 is harder on the disc due to the faster shifts? Do you generally have to replace the clutch disc sooner on an F1 car than a manual?

Ray

24. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm not mechanically inclined, but wouldn't there be less wear do to the faster shifts? The shifts seem so quick, since you don't have to lift from the throttle, I would think there would be less wear? If you drive your car in traffic and shift excessively at low speeds in an F1, I would think the clutch would wear quicker.

25. wmoon89

wmoon89 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2006
    Modenafan, where in Thousand Oaks do you live?

I live around the Westlake Village area...