348 steering resolved | FerrariChat

348 steering resolved

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mdraeger, Mar 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdraeger

mdraeger Karting

May 26, 2005
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    mike draeger
    #1 mdraeger, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 348 gts suffers the same steering dead ahead feel I've heard other fchaters discuss. Then, gradually, over a period of time a slight clunk over bumps got bad enough to investigate. It appeard to be the pasenger side inner tie rod joint. The outer ball joints were fine. So I pulled out the rack and stripped it down. Both rods were fine, the cause was a worn rack bush. It crumbled into several pieces and fell out. I machined a new bush from silicon impregnated industrial nylon. The origional was about 8mm wide but I made the new one 25mm wide. I reinstalled the pinion 180 degrees from original and threw the rack back in the car. Result? 1, dead ahead feeling gone. 2, clunking and kick back gone. 3, steering is slightly lighter and just so much nicer to drive. Cost $00.00 + 5 hours having fun with the fcar. I really should have done this months ago. mike.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice job!

Yet another memeber of the brotherhood that does his own work. I love it!

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    You made your own inner steering rack bush? Very impressive mate. Can you buy genuine 348 Ferrari rack bushes by the way?? And how much are they worth do you reckon? :( A kings ransom i bet. :p

4. mdraeger

mdraeger Karting

May 26, 2005
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    mike draeger
    When I though it was the steering rod at fault I asked the HK Ferrari dealer for a price. They said I could only buy a complete rack assembly. Just shy of HK$30,000. Yeah right. So the chances of a bush would be bugger all and none. Fortunately, I grew up in a home where dad fixed everthing. I guess it stuck. For me half the fun of owning ferrari porsche or whatever is working on and learning about them. Thanks for your coments guys.

5. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    Mike, how do you mean you installed the pinion 180° to the original?

6. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi just the man, i need to pull my rack out do you just undo the 4 bolts and the clamp on the steering joint and then will the rack slide out ok ???

7. mdraeger

mdraeger Karting

May 26, 2005
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    mike draeger
    Hi Richard, I was trying to eliminate the dead ahead feeling. I wondered if part of the cause was slight wear on the pinion gear as it is always in the same spot on the rack when steering straight ahead. By rotating the pinion gear 180, different, (posibley less worn) pinion teeth are engaging the rack at dead ahead. I don't know if it was this or the bush that fixed the problems, but fixed they are.
    And Paul, you also need to undo the roll bar mounts and link rods. Wriggle the bar back towards the cabin as far as possible. It's a really tight fit and the A/C hoses get in the way but it is do-able. Good luck, Mike

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Mike, log on and talk to me!!! :):)

9. Mrjrockyt1979@topless348

Nov 21, 2019
    Simpsonville south carolina
    Full Name:
    James Rocky Taylor
    So on my 348 I have a ton of play in my steering. A fair amount of clunk if I hit a bump in the road the wrong way. It’s totally time to do something about it as it is nearly unsafe to drive. With the car off the ground and by testing for play in the steering it is on both sides. Fluid has leaked out of the boot on the passenger side. I am capable of pulling the rack. No worries. I don’t have lathe access unfortunately. Is there a company that rebuilds these steering racks by chance? Rutlands can sell me a rebuilt unit of course but I would like to have mine rebuilt if possible. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    That's awesome! I made one a few years ago for my old 328 using 1" thick nylon stock, a drill press and hole saws! Came out perfect. I'm sure I will have to do the 348 one day. Nice work. You should make a few and sell them!

11. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    PS. When I made mine I split it on one edge and slipped it over the rack and I did in-situ without having to remove it or disconnect the tierod end.