Possible 355 Fire cause??? | FerrariChat

Possible 355 Fire cause???

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lusso64, May 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    #1 lusso64, May 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As has been mentioned many times, 355s appear to have a higher than average chance of spontaneously combusting. Since I have a 355 it concerned me to have a very strong smell of gasoline at all times the engine was running.

Well, it turned out to be one of the fuel hoses at the junction block adjacent to the power steering resorvoir was about to fall out. See pics below which show where in the engine bay this is, and how it was when I got to it. I had removed the top and right side hoses already, but as you see it in the picture is exactly as it was found.

I replaced the O rings (6 in all) and reassembled it all and now it runs and smells better. These little things turn out to be the industry standard size 110. Get them anywhere for 25 cents each, just ensure the material is safe for gas exposure. I guess this little fact can be added to the "Alternative Parts Supplies List" - beats the $10.50 I was quoted by a dealer for EACH ONE!!!!

I cannot stress enough how much easier this little task was to perform by removing the engine lid. It was very easy and the lid is very light.

I would strongly suggest that 355 owners regularly check these 6 hoses are snug and don't move at all. If they do, get in closer and find out why.

Anyway, I'm off for a drive through the mountains :)

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Wow! Great fix. That's definitely something to warn other F355 drivers to check/repair.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those are often removed during the course of a service and if properly reinstalled, leaking should not be a problem nor should they ever come loose on their own.

Another area of concern and was the topic of a TSB is the coolant hose clamp directly in front of those hoses located at 12 oclock in your picture. The hose clamp on yours is located correctly but on many cars it was installed the reverse of that at the factory and rubbed through the front lower fuel hose causing a fire.

4. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Brian, another thing I noticed was that on the right side, the previous mechanic had wound the nut down hard onto the end of the thread, and then used the stud with nut as a bolt into the junction block. I rectified this and loctited the stud back in the block...

Also the 6 bell nuts that hold the trim moulding that surrounds the water expansion tank and PS fluid resorvoir had 3 washers under each so they could fit properly, and the 2 studs at the rear were also being used as bolts.

The last time these studs/bolts were removed was done by a "respected" OC facility. If they didn't butcher it in the first place, they certainly reassembled it that way. In my books, there is no excuse for this sort of shoddy workmanship.

Dave

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Locktite is your friend....Great stuff.

Those nuts are actually supposed to have a washer under them to keep that from happening.

The fasteners at the plastic trim around the coolant tank et all is a curious thing. It is as though someone designed the trim piece wrong and poor Guido just used a combination of whatever ill fitting hardware he could find laying around to make it all work. I always thought it looked like high school auto shop workmanship, not an engineered solution.

6. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    This thread came up in a conversation I had earlier today regarding 355 engine fires, and it's probably a good idea to revive it just to bring everyone's attention to these potentially serious issues.

After talking with Daniel about this issue, we (Ricambi) have updated our 355 Service Kits to now include 2 of the O rings for the fuel lines that need to be disconnected when dropping the 355 engine. We are including O rings supplied direct from Ferrari - not the 25c ones from Home Depot...

And don't forget the alignment of the hose clamp Brian mentioned...

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    David, Ricambia needs to become a Fire Foe distributor. That way you could include automatic fire extinguishers in the 30K kits for only an extra $130 (retail).

High performance, gasoline-burning sports cars *need* engine bay fire extinguishers (preferably automatic ones).