308 Shift Gate Reverse Lockout Repair | FerrariChat

308 Shift Gate Reverse Lockout Repair

Discussion in '308/328' started by cray54, Oct 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How worn is your original 308 shift gate reverse lockout?

1. not at all

2. some

3. completely non-functional

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    #1 cray54, Oct 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I fixed my reverse lockout and thought I’d post some pictures.

The first picture is of the wear on the lockout, the next three are of the end result. I welded a couple passes over the worn notch and then trimmed the built up lockout tab with a small grinder back to its original shape. I kept the heat input as low as possible to have minimal effect on the treatment of the surrounding metal [“shift gate is case hardened carbon steel that is hard chrome plated”… info from: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135456351&postcount=12].

The fact that it would wear so much with just 40,000 miles on the car seems to indicate the repair will not last without some care. I figure if I lubricate the shift mechanism, lubricate shift gate wear surfaces, and push down when going into and out of reverse; then I can have the gate last substantially longer than it already has.

How frequent is this problem?

-Chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd say not infrequent (but most don't get fixed because there's no operational problem) -- and a lot of F have their shift lever itself stuck in the down position so they don't know what you're talking about ;). Nice work -- how was the condition of the mating corner on the shift lever itself? Might be better if the gate (the easier to repair) is the component that wears? (But no one should really even be making contact there -- it's like dragging the shift lever against the edges of the gate -- it works, but that's not how the design was intended to work).

3. John Harry

John Harry Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2005
    Pittsburgh PA
    Full Name:
    John Harry
    Nice job. I had mine off recently to polish it up – at 38,000 miles the wear was minimal.

4. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
  5. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    When I bought my 81 308 GTSi in Jan 2005, the previous owner did not give me any special instructions about pushing down to put it into reverse, there was no need. It was not until I read a thread on F-chat that I found out about it. I decided to give me Xmas gift Dec 05 and rather than just 'fix'
    I boought a Hill Slick Gate from Danial.
    When I got it, while I was removing the origional I found that the origional was
    in backwards. I went ahead and replaced it and kept the origional should the next owner want it to be stock.

stephen

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here I sit shaking my head and muttering, " why, oh why?....."

I always wondered why my lock out didn't function with the low miles on my series 1 GT4. It was one of those things that I had on a list to check out one day when I had time.
    After reading this thread, I figure, what the hell its only a couple of screws. So out in the garage I go. What do I find??

Mine was in backwards also.
    sheesh! some people.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    :) i am lol with you !! :) not at you. i need to remember this !!! i think it was backwards in my 78GTS....

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I've educated several local 308/328 owners about that "feature" when they ask why they don't have a reverse lock-out... unfortunately, some mechanics aren't conscientious about little things.

9. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    #9 MREUS, Dec 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does this look right?

The first picture is before I push down the shifter...it just touches the lockout, but not enough to stop you from going into reverse.

The second picture is after I push down the shifter.

10. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    mine was backwards on my first 308. I always assumed a previous owner had done it on purpose to avoid having to push down on the shifter. I personally liked it that way and left it. My current 308 is installed correctly; I'm still getting used to it :)

11. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've noticed that other 308's and 328's had the lockout but my 328 does not seem to lock out of reverse as once I did "lose my head" and revert to typical first gear placement. Mine has 45K so I assume worn out. I have to assume it is part of the shift gate of a 1989 328. I was considering the slick shift gate at Hill Eng. anyway. Honestly, I didn't give it much thought until this post came up. Always a learning experience on Fchat!

Jeff

12. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Mine is definetly worn out when I checked it out today, ordered the slick shifter from Hill Engineering.

Jeff

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    If you're going to build the lockout up with welding, I suggest using SS wire or rod, it's a lot harder than std steel MIG wire or rod.

Of course, that implies that it'll wear the boss on the shifter faster as well.

14. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    Mine was backward too.

15. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I wasn't even aware of this feature. The block portion of shifter has worn as well as the angled stop. I've got 103k on my '78 so I guess it is just normal wear. I'm not going to worry too much about it.