"I'm always right", or "Anyone find a smaller rearview mirror?" | FerrariChat

"I'm always right", or "Anyone find a smaller rearview mirror?"

Discussion in '348/355' started by wingfeather, Mar 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Brotherhood:

Every time I go to make a right turn, all I see is myself.

This either means that I'm always right, or that the rearview mirror is just too damn big & blocks the entire right side of my view. I find myself ducking to see past the stock mirror.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone find a smaller rearview mirror that doesn't look too out of place?

Thanks in advance!

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I'm only 5'6", but I still sit too high to see around the darned mirror without scrunching down. In my case, when I had the windshield replaced they also had to replace the rear view mirror, because the mirror base attached to the new glass was a different shape than the old base. I didn't get a chance to compare the height of the old and new bases on the glass, but I did get to compare the old and new mirrors. The new mirror has a longer support piece, making it sit lower. Not a good deal. What can be done about it? I don't know.

3. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Thanks Miltonian.

I might have to boldly go where no brother has gone before (with this issue, anyway).

PS: I almost moved near you last year. That area is beautiful!

4. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I too have to adjust my position to see the road during right turns in my F355. I am 6' and thought there had to be others that had this situation. I think a smaller mirror should be doable.

5. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I had the same exact problem (I'm 6' tall) - after nearly getting hit at a 4-way stop (failed to see the car on my right) I figured safety was more important than keeping the mirror original. I purchased a smaller mirror from Kragen and mounted it as high up on the windshield as it would go and still provide good rearward visibility. An easy and inexpensive fix; about $25 and 30 minutes to remove the old mirror and install the new one. Just be careful removing the old mirror (I used a mild solvent and a trim removal tool) and make sure the glass is clean before using the bonding agent to install the new mirror.

Edit: I also used some Loctite on the set screw for the new mirror; the suspension on these cars is stiff enough that it would work loose after a while from vibrations.

6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Curiosity sets in......... post a pic when you have a chance ;) .

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

That would make a good 348 Brotherhood "how to" (i.e. correct solvent to use, apply or don't apply pressure, etc.).

By the by: couldn't the stalk from the windshield to the mirror be shortened or angled differently to solve the same problem?

8. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    When I get home from work, I will take a look to see what can be done from my perspective :eek:

9. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I cannot figure out how to remove the factory rearview mirror. There are no screws, allen keys, etc, that I can see... only a philips on top (to tighten the mirror ball I assume).

Ugh...

10. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

You work? :D

11. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The rear view mirror twists off, anti-clockwise, less than 1/4 turn. The base stays attached to the windshield glass (hopefully) if it was glued on correctly.

12. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    My thoughts, exactly!......I think he is just saying that to make us feel better..lol

13. group77racing

group77racing Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Often Imitated
    Full Name:
    Never Duplicated
    Had the same issue when I went to SanFan to pick up the car last year, completely removed it, mount and all, about 30 minutes after I took delivery. The side views are so good you can see behind you and blind spots fine.

Gumball Rally 1976 "whatsa behind me... is not important"

14. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Well, after causing much pain to the joints in my hand from turning gently yet forcefully (scared to break the glass)... I couldn't get it off.

Then, I socked it to take out my aggressions & VIOLA! It came off! Looks like my mirror just needed a swift pull down, like away from the glass and towards the ground.

Thanks for the help anyway -its off!

Now I'm off to read California vehicle code - I believe I'm required to have a mirror there (no matter how small)...

Hehehehe:

http://www.timelesstrinkets.com/StrawberryShortcake/Images/Minis/LimeDeluxeDancingParfait.jpg

(joking)

15. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #15 3forty8, Mar 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I bought a mirror from Kragen (I picked one that was thinner than the original); used Goof-Off (the solvent a lot of guys on here use for the sticky parts cleaning) and a trim removal tool to gently pry off the original mirror. I pryed at the original mirror with the trim removal tool as I worked Goof-Off into the back of the OEM mounting plate. As wingfeather found out a good yank removes it. Then I cleaned the area with an alcohol wipe to remove any remaining residue. For the life of me I can't recall what bonding agent I used, it is the stuff they sell at Kragen right next to the mirrors. I also removed those annoying seatbelt turds (not sure of the technical term) in the headliner that are supposed to hold the belts up when you enter/exit the vehicle. That allowed me to place the mirror quite a ways up the windshield. The most important thing to have on hand is a six-pack of beer to calm your nerves so you don't think about how much it will cost to replace the windshield if you muck it up...

17. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

That's a great mod. Outstanding. It's bound to improve visibility for drive-ability and safety.

18. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Nice!

I have a Spider, so there will be a giant dome light in the way of where I want the mirror to go... so a Kragen special won't do. I think its gonna be fun to creatively find something to fit :)

19. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks, and yes, visibility improved dramatically for my height and driving position. Wingfeather, I'm not sure what you can do about the dome light; although any mirror that is smaller that can be mounted up a little higher in the windshield will make an improvement in forward visibility.

20. kingsdare

kingsdare Karting

Oct 24, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    David King
    I was lucky, mine fell off one day. I almost chucked it out the window but decided to keep it on a shelf instead.

As I recall, California only requires two mirrors. So two outside mirrors keep you legal.

21. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Hey hey hey :p ;). I just work in an unconventional way :eek: ;) :D :D