The official replica/re-creation thread | Page 37 | FerrariChat

The official replica/re-creation thread

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Here too I disagree. For about ten years I and many other enthusiasts have tried to create a community so that lesser Ferraris would be loved and preserved too. I do think this group of enthusiasts have made a change so that more and more poeple think that the unloved 2+2s can't be that bad if these people love them. Ten years ago many many owners thought maybe they should turn their car into a comp replica so it would be more special. Those days are over now and I think it is very much because these people have expressed their view on the subject.

2. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    fact is that it should easily be possible
    i think we will have to agree to disagree

sorry not good enough.
    you made the statement, and now your not willing (or not able) to back it up.

3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    How do you mean easily? Where do you find a craftsman who is willing to do all corrective work for free? It seems you have no idea what it takes to make it right! This is why most replicas are just remote lookalikes, it seems.
    I have asked for some spares. Can't find the answer right now. They stated that the factory supllied spare parts for vintage cars are limited to the parts that were originally made by factory; i.e. mainly parts of engine, gearbox and rear end.

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Anyone who wants to channel energy positively. Submit posts to the thread entitled "Save the vintages".

The rest of you can keep posting here.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hear you. But I wonder whether the folks leaving the GTEs alone today has more to do with the fact that these cars are now indeed vintage cars and rare. I like replicas, but if I had a GTE I wouldn't butcher it into a replica. However I would feel much less inhibited if it came to a more modern car. E.g. if there was a good way to take a Mondial or a 456 and turn it into a P4 I wouldn't really feel bad and hesitate. Probably 10, 20 years from now those cars too will be considered rare and vintage and not to be toyed with.

6. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    "E.g. if there was a good way to take a Mondial or a 456 and turn it into a P4 I wouldn't really feel bad "

Me neither!

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Apparently there is. Paul?

8. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Nope. I really don't think we want to go there, right now, Andreas. ;) LOL !!

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Your level of self discipline is admirable. :)

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The only component you would use in a P4 replica is the engine. Why does it have to be a Ferrari engine?

P4Replica has made a great replica and it does NOT use a Ferrari engine, but he still gets a kick out of it. There are so many engines out there that would do a great job, ie. Alfa v6 (yep they can make over 400hp easily in 3ltr+ form), Nissan v6's, BMW v12s, Jaguar v12s, etc.

Thus you do NOT need to kill a Ferrari to make a Ferrari lookalike, if your motives are really to honour the original. Heck with a P4 replica there is no way you could surely claim it is the original 456 for registration purposes. Saying that using a modern is a better solution :).
    Pete

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

Bump

Marcel?

12. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #912 bert308, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I figured it out I think, another thread:

And Mr. G posted this picture:

Am I right and is this your new car mr. G?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That one is still with Pininfarina. Those clutches are also used in other raceboxes I have. As for Villa d' Este I don't think I even said what make of car it is and until a bit before Villa d' Este my lips shall remained sealed as to exactly what it is.

14. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    what a lovely way of describing the contemporary Ferrari factory....or is it Scaglietti??

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ferrari.

Best

16. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    tsjeesj, and they were involved in re-bodying cars??? Is nothing sacred in this world anymore?

17. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    This past week several several cars, 355 coupe and GTS replicas on Pontiac Fiero chassis have been impounded in Roma, Messina,... Alghero in Sardinia by the italian police, "Guardie di Finanza". All of the owners have been arrested and charged with counterfeiting, which carries a 3 year prison term. The investigation was initiated by the fact that the lines of the car were just not right and in another case the owner had registered the car as a Pontiac but the police noted only a 355 parked underneath his apartment. All these cars were manufactured in a nonspecified eastern country and all had the "Ferrari" logo.

I don't know what the laws are here in the US, most likely my guess that it would be a civil case rather than a criminal but this should be a warning that if you are contemplating to build a replica you better not place any Ferrari emblems on it.

An interesting question is how does the italian law view a rebody such as a 250GT transformed into a 250 GTO...well imho, since you are taxed on the horsepower(kW), but the displacement in cc remains the same, you may not be as liable as if you dropped a big Lampredi engine in the same 250 chassis. However, you do need to homologate the car in Italy and this is a risk, because if you are turned down, you have lost your investment. But what are the implications in the US as we have completly different laws we have to comply with according to which state we live in addition to the federal ones? In other words what is legal in a replica and rebody whether you run it on the street or not?

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nonsense. Italy is the only country that applies such crazy laws. This isn't new btw: A couple of years ago they confiscated two Maserati replicas and destroyed them. One had an original engine and parts in it. They're nuts.

You might have a hard time trying to get a replica of any sort street legal onto the streets in some countries (e.g. Switzerland), but no country would people throw in jail for driving a replica. Except Italy. I'm glad that country has no bigger problems to take care of...

19. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    how pathetic.
    this sounds like something that should only happen in a 3rd world country

20. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Funny. I always thought the US had the monopoly on idiotic rules.

21. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Switzerland is also a country considering a law, if voted, in which all foreigners will be exported if any of their family members commit any crime ( I am not against making parents more responsible, but this would be inconceivable and unconstitutional in the US) and also reduce speed limits to 80 Km.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Now that is crazy ... as I have no control over my cousin for example!

The Italian Maserati example was very sad but I have no problem with Ferrari replicas using Ferrari's being "disassembled" by law, parts returned to the Ferrari factory. Note I said replicas NOT rebodies. Thus chassis' where the body type don't match made well after the 10 year from new period. Impossible to administer but that is better than destroying them ...
    Pete

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not to take the thread off topic, but there are many reasons for why I left Switzerland. Some of its laws and the enforcements thereof were part of those.

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Andreas:
    Did you give back your Swiss passport?
    Marcel Massini
    (native Swiss and Swiss citizen)

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Marcel:
    Will you tell us what the experience of driving 3 GTOs was like?
    (born Swiss, American by choice)