308 V12 conversion begins | Page 10 | FerrariChat

308 V12 conversion begins

Discussion in '308/328' started by mk e, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #226 mk e, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not that I would be aloud to get more major engine parts, but I just found this pic on the Norwood sight. I believe it's a 365 or similar and the heads studs all appear to be equally space outside the bore with the exception of the 2 on each end. It looks like using an earlier block would make the TR head install easier because the 5 exhaust side center studs that I have to move 5mm are ok. The outer ones look like they are off the same 2.5mm that the 400 block studs are off. 1.5mm can be made up with a custom stud and 1mm would be safe to open the holes in the TR heads and the heads would go on.

Oh well, once I get done with the welder the heads will go on the 400 block too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Mark--lesson learned here--old floppy drives are damaged by heat!!!
    I lost my old cmm head CAD drawings but am searching to see if i still have the old CMM coordinate printouts so I can reginerate the drawings..

PS I have a file abou t3" thick of old drawings on this--you should come down sometime---especially when you start getting into the gearbox and bellhousing stuff

3. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Were you able to get all the studs out yet?

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    no, I need them for the cylinder pulling it turns out. I hope to be pulling cylinders tomorrow or friday at the latest. Then the studs. Then weld the block.

I guess know that I think about it all the studs that actually need to come out will just fall out once I cut the hole open for welding. Where's that easy button :)

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #230 mk e, Nov 21, 2007
    While working on the puller to press out the liners I had an epiphany….if I’m trying to press out anything, the right tool for the job is a press….ok, some times I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, or basement in this case.

I slid the press over near the welding table so I could support the block and used the head of the puller I was working on to grab the liners. They popped right out. The hardest part of the job was putting the block up in the press, a second person would have come in very handy. The whole job, including moving the press and taking picture took less than an hour.

On the stud problem.

6. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    LOL. One of my favorite movies, and the quote is absolutely true. My wife's name is Olga. 'Nuff said...

7. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    My freind,

More power to you on the magnitude of this project !! Rock effen on !! (and I thought I was some fearless trailblazer.)

You know the saying "well, HE has some brass one's "..... I'm thinkin more like Plutonium, dude....

(stick with the TR heads, you'll pull it off, .....I'm certain (one tenascious MOFO to another).

My wife Karen sends her best to Svitlana, BTW. (they do love us you know, otherwise WE'd BE DEAD !!)

-L

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #233 2NA, Nov 22, 2007
    Here ya go!

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #234 mk e, Nov 22, 2007

I'll pass it on to her. I know she loves me but after I mentioned the TR engine she did spend a solid 15 minutes explaining the issues she had with my mental state.

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Mentioning it was your mistake. Just do it and beg for forgiveness when she finds out. :)

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    yes, I told him to beg for forgivness later too but he didnt listen, tisk tisk tisk!

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I 'm late to thei thread. I got my popcorn out! Go for it Mike. Please take lots of pictures as you progress. If there is an Fchat award for Ferrai mad scientist I think you will be elected to the FChat hall of fame.

13. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    My girlfriend is called Ivonne (or rather: Ivana). Croatia... :D

(aren't they all lovely??)

GREAT project Mike! Very impressive...

Hans

14. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I can't believe the size of this project. Your wife must be a saint. I've done motor swaps on American cars back when I was a teenager, but this beats all, and I mean that.

Art

15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #240 mk e, Nov 22, 2007
    It's a big project, but almost tame by my younger year standards :)

She owes me big time anyway. I just spent 2 solid, hard 2 years building her the patio from h*ll. It was supposed to by a simple pool with a few hundred square feet of concrete, sign the contract and check when it was done. But she wasn’t sure , there were a couple details she didn’t quite like so we hired a landscape architect. It ended up 3000 sqft of cut turkish stone on 3 levels with 250 feet of retaining walls and a couple walkways thrown in for go measure, bar, built -in grill island thing.....so I fired the landscape architect. Oh, and we had to truck in 1.8 million pounds of stuff and move another 4-5 million pounds of the stuff we already had. Oh yeah, and “since it’s about 4 times over the budget that I didn’t actually have to begin with, "can you do it yourself ?” No matter that I'd never mixed a batch of cement or run a piece of heavy equipment (outside machine shop stuff) in my life. I lost almost 20 lbs, lost 2 inches on my waist and gained about 4 inched on my chest....I've never worked so hard in my life!

I think we’ll be about ½ way to even when this is done....now I need to figure out what the other 1/2 is :)

16. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    "I lost almost 20 lbs, lost 2 inches on my waist and gained about 4 inched on my chest....I've never worked so hard in my life! "

-Don't worry you can put it all back on this winter working on your car! lol

Anyway, if you ever want to do the pool and landscaping job all over again, I'd hire you in a NY second. Nice work.

17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Sometimes there is just no amount of begging that will save you......

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Thanks. I still need to stucco all the block in the spring so I get one more change to screw things up :)

19. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Very nice Mark.

You have to break up the projects (house stuff/car stuff) or you'll go INSANE. ;)

20. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Thanks.

You're right about that!

I can't even stand the thought of looking at the shovel these days, but I just got done telling Lana that it’s like Christmas every time I see the v12 on the bench! I just love that engine and I’m just dying to get to the welding part because it means things are going back together. But 3 years ago when I was building the (now Verell’s) blower set-up just the thought of having to weld made me sick. Change is good sometimes.

21. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    My hat is off to you! WOW, impressive!

And I thought that building an aircraft from scratch and fitting it with a subaru engine with dual, automatic failover electromotive ignition and fuel injection, hiding radiators in the wings, etc was a lot of work.... Pfew!!!

Hans

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It sounds like a crazy lot of work! Does it fly?

23. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Yeah, and mine's called Dijana half Serb, half Croat. Great Fireworks!
    So all the mad Ferrari special builders are hitched up with girls from the former Eastern Bloc???

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    So, let me get this straight....did you guys decide that a TR engine/driveline would fit in a Mondial? :D

25. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    I think it's too late!