How To Install a Tubi Exhaust on the 360 Modena | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How To Install a Tubi Exhaust on the 360 Modena

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by warrent, May 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. warrent

warrent Karting

Nov 2, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Warren Tsang
    Hey Modena35,

I don't have the challenge grill anymore sorry, I sold it back to the dealer.

2. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I wanted share my Tubi installation story and to thank the OP for their excellent directions.

Found my Tubi on ebay and struck a deal with the seller. Received the exhaust in good shape but it needed some cleaning up.
    Found this stuff at my local Napa for $14. Not the world’s cheapest polishing liquid, but the stuff sure works!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spent a good 2 hours making the exhaust body and tips shine like they were new again.
    Before polishing…

After polishing…

Once the “elbow grease stage” was finished, I was able to work on the installation. This went almost exactly as described previously in this thread. I’d only offer the following additions:

- Just about the hardest part of this project was getting the rear of the car up in the air. I didn’t use 2 floor jacks, but this would have been much quicker than my procedure (used a single floor jack, 1 jack stand, and a scissor jack).

- I used PB Blaster to loosen all the exhaust bolts before I even starting breaking the first one free. I had no sticky bolts at all (likely not an issue anyway due to the low miles we tend to put on these cars).

- I found that on my 360, I was missing 2 screws as noted in step #8. But instead of those, I was also required to remove two 10mm bolts (with fender washers) another foot toward the front of the car before the bumper would come off.

- I did this project solo and found the only part where another person would have been handy is placing the bumper back on the car. I ended up slightly scuffing the body of the car at the extreme wrap-around sections of the bumper. These “pointed” tips of the bumper tend to move up and down as you are man handling the bulk of the bumper at the rear of the car. I didn’t notice the slight scuffing until it was back on the car. To mitigate this I’d just advise placing some painter’s tape on both the bumper and the body of the car just in case any accidental scraping occurs (it’s not hard to do!). Also be aware of where the side marker lights are located when you are pushing the bumper back on… mine kept getting bashed by brackets until I lifted the bumper properly. The body of the lights appear to be somewhat fragile so be careful at this point. Besides lifting the car, this step was the most difficult.

- I initially didn’t understand step 16 for centering the exhaust. Basically, after the bumper is back on the car, you need to center the exhaust tips where they come through the holes found in the bumper. You don’t want the tips near or resting on any body parts since this will melt the part over time; besides, the exhaust tips need ample room to wiggle around when you are revving the engine (really, the tips move up and down quite a bit!). I found it was easiest to center the exhaust tips in the bumper holes by loosening the 2 sets of bolts on the ends of the bracket (as in step #16). Go ahead and tighten the 4 center bolts up but simply get the nuts started on the end bolts (2 on each side).
    In my specific case, both sides were low in both respective holes so I had to bring these up to be more centered. I did this by getting into position to quickly tighten the nuts (I used a pneumatic ratchet). Next I grasped the end of the exhaust tip, pulled it up, and then quickly tightened one of the nuts down on that side. This took a couple attempts before I had the exhaust tips centered to my liking but it’s not too difficult. Followed this up by doing the other exhaust tip. Once you are happy with both tips’ centering, tighten the remaining 2 bolts (1 on each side).

A few additional pictures not found in the OP:
    One of the vacuum lines unplugged from the by-pass valves. Loosened the small hose clamp and ran a screw up the line then re-tightened the hose clamp. After doing this to both lines, I cable-tied them up and out of the way:

Tubi installed, prior to the bumper installation:

The entire process took about 4 hours, but was working casually and talking to the wife on a few occasions. With 2 capable people and getting right through it I bet this would take under 2 hours no problem.

Thanks again go out to Warrent. His directions were spot on and helped immensely!

And now the fun part, take a listen (video is a before/after combo):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ipHVHBpN0

3. chip360

chip360 Rookie

Aug 5, 2011
    Hi,

I installed a Tubi System over the week end, I looked at your guide prior to installing it and I would like to say that you did a splendid job in your description and pictoral representation, it was a great help to me and I really appreciate your efforts.

kind Regards

Tony Andrew

4. baghdady

baghdady Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Craig Farquharson
    Hi
    I have bought a Capristo stage III and was wondering if any body out there would be able to confirm if the installation of the Tubi would be much the same as the Capristo

Thanks in Advance

Craig

5. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    Hey Craig

I have fitted both Tubi and recently a Capristo 3
    Yes they are very much the same to install
    The only difference is the bracket that comes with the Capristo replaces the OEM

6. Cooper

Cooper Karting
    Owner

Feb 25, 2013
    London, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Chris Cooper
    Great write up, we followed this over the weekend to swap a Tubi for a Twin Sound. Thx

7. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Can the stock tips with valves be used with the tubi cans? Is there any disadvantage of using the stock tips with valves with Tubi?

Also, where can I buy the bolts for the tubi (welded in stock cans)?

Thank you!

8. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Awesome cars!!

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so is this non-valve tubi louder than stock?

10. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    thanks for taking the time to document and post.

11. NY Nick

NY Nick Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    Cape Coral,FL
    Full Name:
    NY NICK
    I have put in a Tubi exhaust in my 360. Ever so many miles 70 or so check engine light comes on. I check the codes which read PO422 main catalyst efficiency below thershold bank 1. sometimes bank 2. I all ways clear the codes then around 70 miles or so the engine light comes on again.

I have been having this happen for years and cost me a ton of money at the shop. No one knows what the problem is. I think its the tubi exhaust. The other thing is I found these 02 sensors spacers that might help,but if anyone really knows what the problem maybe?

12. thomas mrock

thomas mrock Rookie

Jul 30, 2010
    thanks so much for this. best thomas

Attached Files:

13. F1Pete

F1Pete Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2021
    Ca
    Can the stock tips with valves be used with the tubi muffler? Found Tubi without the tips….. pls LMK.

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes. When I got my 360 it was set up that way. They had Tips too but they liked a bit less loud.

15. F1Pete

F1Pete Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2021
    Ca
    @Skidkid thks! Just to confirm, your Tubi is connected to stock OEM tips with no mods? Are the valves connected also?

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is all correct. Tubi muffler, stock tips, valves connected and working. Personally, I like the look of the Tubi tips much more than the stock. I switched back to the Tubi tips but kept the stock and gave them to the next owner. The Tubi tips were louder and I understand the desire to have valves available to turn on/off as desired. I seriously considered having valves added to my Tubi tips but never got to that project.

I have since sold the car and now have a 599. Another member on this board has my old car.

17. F1Pete

F1Pete Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2021
    Ca

18. F1Pete

F1Pete Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2021
    Ca
    @Skidkid, thanks for confirming. How do you like 599 vs 360?

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Assuming you are not highly track focused or building a track car, there is no comparison. The 599 is a truly amazing beast! My wife didn't like riding in the 360 for more than about 30 minutes. By comparison, she fell asleep on the drive down to Monterey. Yet, if you push the car it is terrifyingly fast. Grab the next gear at 100 and near redline, the big 315s will slip. Add to that the sophisticated and somewhat understated design, the 599 is a truly magnificent GT.

20. netsec

netsec Karting

May 5, 2022
    Henderson, NV
    I am finishing up a Tubi install on my 360. I had marked the orientation of the exhaust hanger bracket, but my son was a bit too proactive and cleaned it up removing my marking. Was hoping someone could confirm the correct orientation…right now it’s mounted like this pic, but I have seen it mounted upside down in other pics.