GT-R beats 911 GT2 at Buttonwillow, but two cars faster still, who are they? | FerrariChat

GT-R beats 911 GT2 at Buttonwillow, but two cars faster still, who are they?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Shinkaze, Jul 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
    I apologize for the terrible editing, shooting and audio of this video. It was an imprompto interview that I promised some people in the ZR1 thread I would do to Get Steve Millen's thoughts on the GT-R's amazing times. Tword the end of the video he slips up a little and says that he just did another Road and Track comparison test. This time at the Big Track at Willow Springs instead of the smaller Buttonwillow track they did last time.

He drops a rather shocking gem that first, the GT-R beat the 911 GT2, and that second there were two cars there that were faster. he wouldn't tell me which ones they were, but my guess is it's the Viper ACR and F430 Scuderia.... Anyone else have any ideas?

Here is the video if anyone wants to strain to hear 6 minutes of bad audio...
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Steve-Millen-and-the-GTR_170353.htm

2. GoodWood

GoodWood Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    SE Florida/Indiana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm sure you had the best intentions, and I tried, but really could not understand any of it.

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Wonder if they got their hands on a press-car ZR1? Corvette Quarterley recent had a track evaluation of one in the latest issue...now that they got the scoop, maybe Chevrolet is ready to let other mags have at it?

4. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    I can tell you one thing about that Big Willow R&T test. Everyone was anxiously awaiting the Ferrari transporter with the Scud but it never showed up. FNA/dealer changed their mind at the last miniute.

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    They must have been upset when EVO Magazine picked an GT3RS for Car of the Year over the SCUD...

6. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
    That was my first thought too, but I figured they weren't campaigning the press car just yet.

7. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
    I know it was really loud and the microphone on that camera is terrible. It was sort of an imprompto thing too otherwise I would have had a crew there.

8. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    So Millen drove again? They need to get a different, 100% unrelated to Nissan driver. Sorry, but I just don't see how the GTR could beat a GT2....

9. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
    Longer wheelbase, wider track, more traction. Why the bias against Nissan drivers? Millen has a fantastic racing career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Millen

10. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    The bias against anything japanese is rammpant here; I've seen it since I joined this forum in 2001. I am just as excited waiting for my GTR as I was for my 288 twenty four years ago. (maybe a little more)

11. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I wonder how much Nissan is paying Steve Millen. I am sure Steve is a great driver, but I am not listening to him. The GTR is an easier car to drive and taking Steve's age into consideration thats why he is faster in it. The GT2 just needs to be driven differently.

12. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Gallardo and ACR

13. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Are we possibly confusing this with the C&D track test this last issue?

That one was GT-R, Z06, Viper, GT2. GT-R was rated best of test, but was slowest car in acceleration and I believe second slowest in lap times, under Viper and GT2.

But then, I guess not - I did not see Millen listed as a driver, and I doubt he would have done it without the creds.

He is almost getting kind of like Bob Bondurant as a hack for the mags & mfgs, isn't he?

14. monaroCountry

monaroCountry Karting

Dec 23, 2007
    Porsche GT2
    Tires:235/35 ZR19 - 325/30 ZR19
    Power: 530 hp
    Torque:505 lb-ft
    Weight: 3175 lbs

Nissan GTR
    Tires: 255/40R-20 - 285/35R-20
    Power: 473 hp
    Torque:434 lb-ft
    Weight: 3814 lbs

15. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
    No, if you watch the video (I'm sorry it's hard to hear), Millen is commenting on why C&D couldn't match his times when he drove a similar match up at Buttonwillow for Road and Track. He then goes on to say there is a new test coming out at Willow springs (similar name, much larger track), and that is where the GT-R is quicker around than the GT2.

16. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
    Your point?

17. Dilancer

Dilancer F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dilan B.
    +1 The GTR's cornering speeds are out of this world. I really wonder how much technology went into that.

18. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I'm guessing his point was that going by specs, it seems impossible for a "production" GTR to be able to beat a GT2.

I gotta agree....

19. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    The GT-R lost to the Viper and the GT-2 and barely beat the Z06 at Buttonwillow.

Lap times

Viper - 1:55.7 Avg speed 84 MPH
    GT-2 - 1:59.7 Avg speed 80.3 MPH
    GT-R - 2:01.1 Avg speed 81.2 MPH
    Z06 - 2:01.7 Avg speed 79.9 MPH

20. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Also there was the 0-150 mph time: about 18.5 seconds for all the others, 26 seconds for the GTR. It makes me really wonder about that 190+ top speed claim.

21. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I have been reading all over that the GTR kinda falls on it's face over 125 mph.

22. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Not to mention the fact that it has also been written all over that no two tests (even by the same magazine) seem to put up what could be called reasonably similar numbers. At least so far.

23. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    That numbers mean everything. :rolleyes:
    James, I suggest you take a look at Road & Track's Buttonwillow test with the GT-R. Their GT-R got within 1 second of the ACR's time & I believe they were faster in the other categories than C&D was. :)

24. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
    Cars don't race Spec sheets. Case in point the M3 CSL is heavy and under powered yet it steams past many cars that are lighter and more powerful.

25. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
    Road and Track results.
    http://videos.streetfire.net/photo/Skyline-GTR_1143217.htm