The Enzo reimagined.... Jim's Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina | Page 216 | FerrariChat

The Enzo reimagined.... Jim's Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by MarkPDX, Feb 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    About 6K.

Cheers!!

2. ppatel9

ppatel9 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Damn.....been driving around to a lot of auto shows I see. I respect that the fact that you drive your cars....not like some ppl who think they are garage queens.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cheers man. ;);)

4. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    #5379 JM4re, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
    Perusing through my November issue of Roundel magazine (with cover article being the presence of Z8s at Monterey this year), I have a very "Where's Waldo" style sighting of P4/5 on page 53 parked next to a silver Mosler. Just adding to its limitless celebrity... :)

5. adelg88

adelg88 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Andrew DelGrosso
    i had a very odd dream last night.. i was driving the P 4/5 and a guy was in a car following me, (i guess it was Jim) and once i parked the car the guy following me got out of his car and chased me down the street screaming something along the lines of "You damn kids always taking me cars!"..

i woke up laughing haha

6. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    P4/5 officially promoted to "dreamcar"

7. adelg88

adelg88 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Andrew DelGrosso
    haha i guess so.. all i no is in my dream Jim was SCARY (although i dont no what he even looks like)

but i guess if i owned a car like the P 4/5 and somebody stole it id be mad too

8. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    only when he is wearing a hat...

9. P3+J3^u!

P3+J3^u! Karting

Apr 2, 2008
    Mockingbird Ln
    I've spent a while reading this thread over the last few weeks and have finally made it all the way through. It's quite a read, but very interesting. I like history a lot because I like stories, and that's pretty much what this thread is. It's a story, about a lot of things.

You get to see a bit about a lot of people--Townshend, judge4re, nopssn, etc. To see Peter (cntchds) first talking to, then meeting, Napolis, and to see him chatting with Andrea Pininfarina (I think. Was he active as modena1_2003? By the signature of this post I assumed so: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137048479&postcount=4284). As someone roughly Peter's age, that has always stood out to me.

To read all the info, the much-repeated statistics and information (and requests for models, which seemed to out number any other repeat), oft cited by Napolis but frequently supplied by a number of others (judge4re especially, at least early in the thread). To find out, in fact, where the name "Napolis" came from, and that James Glickenhaus, whom I had once known only as the famous rich owner of the P 4/5, directed movies and wears a red hat. To learn where the name "P 4/5" came from; about the P 3/4; about the Lola; I've learned a lot about classic cars reading this thread, and about racing in the 60s--or at least, reading this thread inspired me to Wikipedia a lot of the history. I never really liked classics, actually, until this thread, and I saw them so often I got used to them and started to see the beauty in them.

And in the P 4/5. At the beginning I thought the styling was so-so. Over time, I've variously thought it to be awkward, disproportionate, elegant, cool, classy and supermodern. This is including well before I ever found this thread or even fchat--my opinion of its appearance seems to go through cycles of the above. I've sometimes also found it to be beautiful, the appearance of the P 4/5, but I've never consistently thought so. I find it beautiful at the moment, though. In fact, my opinion of its appearance has cycled during the last few weeks while reading this thread.

Its physical appearance will never be my favorite, although it may be one of my favorites. However, I find it beautiful in a far more significant way: it is the realization of a dream. Other cars (like my favorite, the Reventon) may inspire lust, and be the work of dreams, and groups of talented design teams, and even be masterpieces; cars may be as unique, personalized, and special as one-offs. Other rich car owners may take time out to talk to everyday people, and be nice, courteous, and incredibly generous with their time. Other cars may have be the fulfillment of boyhood dreams, be something someone has wanted and dreamed about for years. However, the P 4/5 seems to stand for more. It was made in the best of ways, by the people who are best at making cars.

More than that, though; most cars are made by companies to make money, and in a sense this was made by Ferrari and Pininfarina to make money as well; that's what most cars are, money-making tools. But P 4/5 isn't, not really--really, it was made by Napolis to be the way he wanted, and regardless of how much I like the styling, I like that he lived the way he wanted to in this car.

After all, isn't that the American dream?

I do have one question, though. What car is that that nopssn has for an avatar? It looks faintly like the Miura, but even more beautiful.

10. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The car in his avatar is the 1962 Ferrari 250 GT "Breadvan".

11. P3+J3^u!

P3+J3^u! Karting

Apr 2, 2008
    Mockingbird Ln
    Thanks.

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #5387 Napolis, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. redtrman

redtrman Formula 3
    BANNED

May 16, 2008
    VA - Heart in Pitt
    Full Name:
    Jason Bourne
    Jim, let me take a guess, drive around Bear Mountain?

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #5389 Napolis, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mount Pellegrino Hill Climb.

Note F1 rain light.

Last two photo's copyright Rodger Dixon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM

:) That's really exquisite stuff.

16. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Jim,

Do you have any pics of your "P" cars together? I'm interested to see a size comparison. There have been a bit of talk of the size of the Dino vs. an F430. My how things have grown. It would be interesting to see how the "P" cars stack up.

Thanks,

Manny

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    When they're all together I'll take a photo.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Had a very nice long drive into the cold. Noticed that in icing conditions dash display reverts to sport mode with a large snow flake on it. Stopped and saw Nick who has some wonderful classics for sale including a fantastic 330 LMB. Nick has designed a spectacular one off that is nearing completion and is very impressive. Great day and hope they keep the road salt off the roads for a bit longer.

19. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Great photos, Jim. That's one helluva car. :)

-G.B.

20. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    Hey Jim, quick question for you, could you explain the reason for having an "F1 Rain Light" I don't really understand how it helps because I don't see any illumination from it...

Thanks

Best

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #5396 Napolis, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
    In heavy rain/Fog it makes your car more visible from behind enabling other cars to see you and avoid crashing into you.

(It flashes/strobes and is hard to see in photos but in real life is very bright)

22. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
  23. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    How's the turning radius for the P 4/5 in comparison the Enzo? Any changes?

24. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    This is new news to me, but this sounds really promising.

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Only minor due to different sized tires.