Difficulty Opening Door to Gas Tank | FerrariChat

Difficulty Opening Door to Gas Tank

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by michael/laura, Dec 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michael/laura

michael/laura Rookie

Apr 8, 2006
    Each time we go to purchase gas we have to press the button to open the door to the gas tank many times. We have had it adjusted but still have the problem. Anyone else?

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I have experienced this problem as well. It won't open (for me) with the car running or the key out of the ignition. I have to shut the car off and with the key in the off position, I hit the button and it solved the problem for me.

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Have the same problem. I sanded the end of the plastic piston which releases the gas flap cover because mine was a little rough with a small tab still attached. I also applied some oil to the moving parts.

Also I found that the key has to be out of the ignition and the driver door open to have a better chance.

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Mine has not been a problem. Probably put gas in it only 6 times or so in the last two weeks though.

5. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Most of the time, it is two or three pushes of the button before it springs open.

At least it works, better than have it not open at all or staying open all the time.

6. genepope

genepope Karting

Jul 25, 2006
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Gene Pope
    The first time I went to fill it I had a heck of a time getting it opened, I thought I was missing some magic Ferrari incantation. It hasn't given me any trouble since.

7. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    Here's the fix...

the rubber/plastic tether that holds the cap. It runs into the hinge tunnel for the gas lid. It gets bound up in the hinge. Make sure that when you are getting ready to close your gas lid, use your finger to slide the tether up out of the way of the hinge and shut it.

this is the only fix we have found at the moment. After several "adjustment" and lubrications, this is what we have identified as the issue.

Hope this helps,

Dan

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Great info, thanks Dan!

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #9 MalibuGuy, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I tried various things such as lubrication of the moving parts and fine sanding of the plastic notch where the piston moves in and out to lock the flap.

I even disconnected the rubber tether for the gas cap thinking that this migh get bound up.

But the flaps still does not open easily. Then i noticed that if i jiggled the flap and then tried to open it , that maneouver seemed to help.

I looked that the flap carefully and noticed a small guiding tab which fits into a narrowing groove. The final fit between these looked rather tight.

So I lightly sanded and smoothed the end of that tab and lubricated it too.

Voila! My flap opens every time like it should.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    #10 sg69, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    THANK YOU!!!!

That worked perfectly. I have been frustrated with the same problem for the past 3 months. here are a couple of pix to help clarify what needs to be done.

The first picture shows the slot that the tab fits into and sticks.

The second shows the tab after the edges were lightly sanded. It pops open perfectly every time. The only other requirement is that the key is in the off position or removed completely.

Thanks,
    SG

11. michael/laura

michael/laura Rookie

Apr 8, 2006
    This is another success for Ferrarichat.