Planning a California Trip: Advice | FerrariChat

Planning a California Trip: Advice

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Oct 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    #1 Ferrari 360 CS, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    Am looking at planning a trip to California sometime next year. Am doing some web reading but reading only takes one so far, thus it would be a great if anyone here can offer some advice.

Of course coming from South Africa I am fighting with a exchange rate of R6.80 to $1 so costs are an issue.

The rough idea at this stage would be to see the following cities, San Francisco, moving down to LA.

The biggest query I have is what would be the best time of year to come over from a weather point of view, not one for rain and far prefer sunshine. Also general costs of living, the idea would be to spend around 10 days or so between the two cities.

To be honest at the moment this is just an idea so any advice is most welcome.

Thanks in advance

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    My 02c:

- Southern Cal is pretty much always a "pleasant climate".
    - LA itself sucks - San Diego is a much better destination. [Dons flamesuit!]
    - San Francisco (*never* call it 'Frisco!) has it's best weather in September/October (Really, but don't tell anyone!)

Beyond that, what are you in to? - We've got it all!

Are you figuring on driving? Camping? Hiking? Wine? History? Sport? etc etc.... Then there's the Monterrey "Holy week" in August if you fancy "car immersion".

Cheers,
    Ian

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

You may want to come when it's crappy there? Shop around online for good hotel rates. Of course it'll be pricier in San Fran and I'd doubt you'd stay in LA proper so there's lots of options in So. CA. Book a few places, rent your car(don't rent from the airport) and then just go for it. Lots to do and see depending on your interests. Tying it into Monterey is always a good one but that can get expensive unless you've got the hook ups.

4. Noah930

Noah930 Karting

Apr 15, 2010
    Full Name:
    Alarick
    Los Angeles is the size of a small country. OK, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but I think it's necessary to rent a car if visiting LA, as the distances are vast and public transportation not so good.

In San Francisco, you can have a great tourist experience without a car. At times having a car is a liability as parking is limited/expensive. But if you want day trips to places immediately outside of San Francisco (such as Sonoma, Monterey, or Sausalito) it's nice to have a car to get there.

Driving between San Francisco can be a 6 hour trip on a largely boring interstate, or you can take all day to do the scenic route along the coast. Stop off along the way at places like Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, etc.

5. memiller74

memiller74 Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Full Name:
    Matt
    come to LA and decide for yourself. i skipped LA the first time i was on the west coast, and now i can't imagine living anywhere else i've been.

as for LA advice, it is quite large, so do plan to rent a car, and i'd recommend staying either in beverly hills/west hollywood or in santa monica. downtown is office buildings and not much more. most other areas are essentially suburbia.

if you do plan the trip, PM me for a more detailed list depending on what you like to do and see. always happy to help a visitor!

6. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Come in late September or early October for the best weather and to avoid the heaviest tourist season. Fly into SFO. Spend a night or two in SF. Then rent a car and spend a night in Napa/Sonoma. Drive down the coast and spend a night in Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur. Drive down Hwy 1 to Hearst Castle and spend a night in Cambria, Morro Bay or San Luis Obispo. You can stop in Santa Barbara on your way to LA. Assume you want to see Hollywood, etc. Maybe Disneyland? Then head down to San Diego or alternately back up to see Yosemite. You need 10-14 days to do it right. There are other threads on this subject in both N and S Cal. Hint: If you stay out of the downtown and tourist areas, you can get rooms for cheap. Shop car rentals carefully, especially if you are picking up and dropping off at different locations.

7. Noah930

Noah930 Karting

Apr 15, 2010
    Full Name:
    Alarick
    memiller has a good point about LA hotels. I assume you want something exciting/interesting. You didn't come halfway around the world to have a boring hotel. Unless you have a specific reason for staying in a particular neighborhood, I'd recommend something in West Hollywood (close to Hollywood or Sunset Blvds) or Santa Monica (which is by the beach).

Funny, having lived here most of my life, I have no good recommendations for specific hotels for out-of-town guests. I've never stayed in a hotel in LA. But I do know where I'd want the hotel to be located were I a visitor.

8. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    #8 Monteman, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    Pretty good advice. We live in Santa Barbara so we'd be happy to help. Our personal favorite when friends ask where to stay is the Inn at the Spanish Garden. It's a great little B&B in close to downtown Santa Barbara. If you really want to splurge then stay at the San Ysidro Ranch. It was the #1 rated hotel in the US but very expensive. Lots to see and do and the weather is nice more often than not but September and October are the best.

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Looks like car rental is a must, was thinking I could get by on public transport but then again that may ultimately prove to be a frustrating experience though it has be said I am used to less than ideal public transport....

I would want to do the whole drive down the coast thing so will need to research car rental rates pretty carefully.

Sept/early Oct would probably be best for me from a work point of view anyway, as for hotels exciting interesting would be good! I did think about trying to do the whole Moneterey car week but investigated this year and it seems prices in the area go rather skywards during that week...

As for what I am into, sports, cars and just really experiencing a new place, culture etc.

memiller74: thanks for the offer of assistance.

Thanks again everyone!

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thats pretty much exactly what I had in mind.....

11. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    #11 NORTY, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OP~ If you plan on driving from San Fransisco to Los Angeles via the "coast," you're going to need 3 days to do it right.

As stated earlier, Late Sept/early October is best as the tourists are gone and the weather is clear. (During June/July it's FOGGY.)

There are a couple places you are going to want to see/visit~ (only including areas south of San Fran)

1. The Golden Gate Bridge (you'll see it from the plane coming into SFO.)

2. Pier 39

3. Chinatown

4. Fisherman's Wharf

5. Lombard St. (twisty but slow!)

6. Tour a US Mint

Now to get on the road! You'll want HWY 1 going southbound as the water will be on the passenger's side. It will wind and twist along a ridgeline above the water's edge. There are no large cities south of San Fran for 400 miles.

Check Big Sur, Cambria, Morro Bay/Rock, Hearst's Castle (San Simeon,) 17 mile Drive (cost: $9.50. Worth it if you're a golfer.) Pismo Beach (drive on the sand!)

There's tons of websites that you can reference. One would be: www.myscenicdrives.com.

If you're going to rent a sportscar, forget all that I typed and I'll put you on a REAL wild run!

Let me illustrate...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login