0726 history deserves a thread of its own | Page 2 | FerrariChat

0726 history deserves a thread of its own

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by elmotorizado, May 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Would it be prudent to publish the story in public? I have the impression you know the story but won't tell it yourself.

2. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    The photos from the magazine article in post no. 23 have absolutely nothing to do with 0726/TR. The car shown in those photos was an attempt to reconstruct 0726/TR using the remaining rear frame and deDion rear-axle assembly from a 290MM that was recovered from Brazil.

The original remains of 0726/TR minus the engine & gearbox plus a few other bits and pieces were recovered from Cuba in the early 1980s and done completely legally. They ended up for a short time through some odd travel arrangements in a well known but now closed shop in the States.

Anyone care to guess what happened next?

Ciao,

Bill

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The history of how we are today is amazing in all of these types of cars....

4. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I am going to go with the Duddini brothers.They seem to have used anything they could get there hands on to build 250TRs. just one man's opinion tongascrew

5. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    [Anyone care to guess what happened next?

Ciao,

Bill[/QUOTE]

Bernie Carl?

Regards

Wolfi

6. elmotorizado

elmotorizado Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #31 elmotorizado, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Removing the dust from my documents I realized that I made a mistake when I wrote those dates, what I have has November of 1989 and April 1990, I apologize for the mistake.
    Another picture of 0726 with Chimeri at the wheel.
    I would like to emphasize that there is no proof that this car went to Brazil, in the link below you will find the Brazilian story.
    branko
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241898
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Wouldnt have a clue, but please do tell us, this stuff is fascinating.

t

8. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    The closest 0726/TR ever got to Brazil was Venezuela.

Ciao,

Bill

9. elmotorizado

elmotorizado Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    Bill that is something I have said since I started the thread, is there anything new that you could tell, or if it still exists today.
    Grazie, arrivedrla.
    branko

10. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Yes, 0726/TR survives as a complete car but largely reconstructed from the frame on up. The engine is still in Cuba and possibly the gearbox. The steering wheel, gauges and a few other bits and pieces were recovered after the fatal crash during practice. The engine and gearbox were separated shortly after the accident, stored for many years together then separated from the remains of the car prior to it being sold.

The chassis eventually found its way to a shop here in the States. The chassis no. 0726/TR made no sense to the shop that had the car as it did not match the few details they could find about the central and south American TRs.

Rather than taking the time to research the situation further they took a short cut and ground the chassis number off the frame and stamped in one that matched the books.

As insane and pathetic as it sounds, thats really the way it happened.

The car has been this way ever sense.

Not a pretty story but there are worse ones.

Ciao,

Bill

11. arnoux40

arnoux40 Rookie

Mar 25, 2010
    Does anybody know who went to Cuba to bring back the pieces of 0726 TR?

12. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    What pieces when? Shortly after the crash... a few days at most, the steering wheel, gauges and a couple of other small bits and pieces were removed by the mechanic that was assisting the driver during the race.

The rest of the car remained stored for many years in Cuba untouched until at least 1978/1979.

The engine and possibly the grearbox still remain in Cuba. The rest left in the 1980s and formed the starting point for a complete restoration into the car that exists today.

Cheers,

Bill

13. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Bill,

Am I correct in thinking it was Colin Crabbe who recovered the chassis from Cuba?

Best,
    Dave

14. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    He spearheaded finding, identifying and arranging for the recovery but had some assistance with the actual movement, export and shipping as the car was rather difficult to move and crate up due to poor storage and the accident damage.

Ciao,

Bill

15. emunoz167

emunoz167 Rookie

Nov 21, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    #40 emunoz167, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013