CIS fuel line solution | FerrariChat

CIS fuel line solution

Discussion in '308/328' started by Newman, Mar 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #1 Newman, Mar 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Im sure this has been touched on in the past but I couldnt find anything here on it so im posting my solution to a fuel leak I had to fix somehow. It started with my #12 injector hose which is no longer available then my WUR fuel line had rubbed on the fuel head wearing a small hole in it. Either one of these lines could have reduced my boxer to scrap and I nearly crapped my pants when I first saw the leaks this winter while I stood watchiing it run in the garage while it snowed outside. The problem is these plastic lines are 20+ years old and are bound to fail. The #12 hose was leaking where the plastic met the steel barbed end at the injector portion and only leaked when cold but sealed itself once warmed up. I found a supplier who had only while/clear nylon line in stock in the right size so I tried it as an exercise in R&D before I ordered the minimum of 100ft in black like the original. I tested this stuff in boiling water, dangled things from it, chewed it in my mouth and jumped on it. It seems good enough and is rated at 500psi so 60 wont hurt I dont think. The lines simply push onto the steel ends (I was red in the face I was pushing so hard) and seal just like that. I used a brake line flaring vise to hold the nylon line without crushing it or marking it and pushed it together cold with a touch of soapy water. There is no way this line will come off unless I cut it off and now Im going to make the rest of the lines once the black stuff arrives in a week or so. Ive since driven the car at least 4 times and found no signs of any impending doom.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I like the clear line. Where can the clear line be purchased? How much per foot? Thanks.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The name of the company I went to is called Western and they are a hydraulics supply company with locations in the US but any place will do im sure. They make lines and fittings and stuff like that, even brake hoses so they tell me. I went with 1/4" nylon with a .062" wall. The original measures somewhere around .070" wall, 1/4" but I couldnt get it and judging how hard it was to get the hose over the steel line, im not worried about .008" difference.

P.

4. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #4 328GTB, Apr 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Cohline is also available from Newco Products http://www.newcoproducts.com/

I completly re-plumbed my Boxer with it with a lot of swearing, but it's done with re-cad lines and fittings. Also used the flare vise trick which works well. The barbed fittings must be heated to get the line over the fitting, then immediatly clamped in the vise until cooled. Beastly stuff to work with.
    Dave

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks for the leads guys, the problem is im not comfortable heating the barbed end in a way melting the new plastic as it goes on. That concerns me as far as a leak down the road is concerned (no pun intended). The black stuff Ill be using needs no heating of anything but sure is tight and so far so good. I like originality but these lines wont be different to the eye once on. I might order a a length of the "right" stuff and give it a whirl.

P.