Help me understand...why an FXX? | FerrariChat

Help me understand...why an FXX?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by bounty, Apr 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, I'm a relatively new Ferrari enthusiast...so please forgive the ignorance. Why would someone buy a FXX instead of a F1 car? It is my understanding that both are illegal for the street...and both are insanely expensive. They are both so expensive that maintenance or practicality surely couldn't be reasons to choose one over the other. Ideas?

2. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    I think you would have to ask an owner (or prospective buyer) to get the best answer, but in my opinion they serve different purposes. The FXX can accomodate a passenger, which is a big consideration. You can't really bring your friend along for a ride in an F1. The FXX might also be easier to drive, but I would have no idea. The F1 offers more performance, but at some point you will exceed the useable performance because of a lack of driver skill.

I would personally like to be able to drive a car with less performance at 100% of it's abilities than a "better" car at 30% of it's abilities.

Peter

3. Forza355

Forza355 Formula 3

Jan 19, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Derek
    You almost have me stumped. I'm assuming the FXX is a little easier to get your hands on than an F1 car, and I don't think the owner has to worry about maintenance, compliments of Ferrari (and the near $2M you just slipped into their pockets). As for practicality, it's a track built Ferrari racecar, you know...

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    The FXX is only the car....half of what you buy is the experience, and this requires a co-pilot for instruction. Also the FXX project offers a chance to have significant input into the future generations of super ferraris, and an F1 car wouldnt offer this. lastly I think that while repairs are ludicrously expensive Im sure, at least they dont require a rebuild quite so frequently.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    marketing tool for ferrari, its all about the money honey
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

6. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers

F1 cars contribute to roadcars. CCM brakes? Maybe a better statement would have been that the FXX contributes more realistically? I don't know.

7. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Having owned/raced historic F1 and FJ cars, I can tell you that driving an open wheel F1 car requires a different mindset. While owning an FXX or a modern Ferrari F1 car both require lots of $ and factory support, you are much more "exposed" in an F1 car. Having a roof over your head, body panels over your wheels and a windshield in front of your eyes instills confidence. I also agree with Peter's comment - being able to take friends along for a ride to share the experience is a nice bonus. You can actually pick up a modern Ferrari F1 car for about $500K less than an FXX (assuming you were allocated an FXX).

Cheers...Keith

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    You can't buy a current F1 car. But if you are one of Ferrari's 29 best customers, you have the perk of being offered the opportunity to purchase the next best thing. Possibly you will enter the car in the events with the other 28 owners and if you are reasonably good, you may show how good the FXX is.

And you also help perpetuate the Ferrari aura. Win-win all around.

9. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Actually, you can buy a one or two year old F1 car quite easily. The F1 Clienti program do this all of the time. I agree, you can't buy the current Ferrari F1 car (although you can probably find shards of one if you were at Albert Park yesterday)!

10. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Does anyone else remember when the ENZO didn't have a name and it was refered as FX

11. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    I thought the FX was the name used for the modified Testarossa which was owned by the Sultan of Brunei?

12. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    #12 NaeemT, Apr 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Chassis number 103396 now in the Dick Marconi Museum in Tustin/CA, USA.
    Marcel Massini

14. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    It just goes to show you that money doesn't necessarily buy good taste. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    exactly

With a F1 you could join historic racing events. With a FXX you, hmm, drive around on a restricted track.

16. stereodexf1

stereodexf1 Rookie

Feb 24, 2006
    Dominican Republic
    Full Name:
    Dester
    The "kit" includes a training course to teach you how to drive a car of this class (so you would be a racing driver, not just an amateur), because they're interested in the data you would produce as a tester. This data will be used for future GT racers development of the Scuderia.

It's kind of paying to become a GT Ferrari tester. The pack also includes the opportunity to participate in a series of Ferrari events, if you want you could leave the car at Fiorano and they will carry it for you.

The pack offers a very interesting experience. If I have the money + some other millions, I would join them.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That's the part I have a problem with. No question that driving a FXX would be great fun and why not if you have the money.

But does anybody seriously believe that a company like Ferrari with its army of developers, engineers, testers, professional F1 and other racing drivers is waiting for a bunch of wealthy amateurs and their test data? C'mon!

It is a nice and clever marketing plot.

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    This is what I had earlier to say about the FXX:

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good arguments for why having a FXX. But it doesn't answer the question why prefer a FXX over a F1.

20. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Why not both? ;)

I'm only partially kidding, though. If somebody has that much money to spend on a single car, there is a good chance that they could also afford and F1 (for those sunny days when you just NEED a convertible). On the other hand, it is a car, and with only 29 made the demand will probably be high for them in the secondhand market when the owners are allowed to sell. The owner could always sell it and buy another car (maybe an F1 at that point). The reality is, Ferrari filled the allotment with no problem. When Ferrari makes a supercar, there will always be a line to purchase. Period.

On another note, I talked to the dealer in St. Louis that has one, and he said many of them belong to collectors. I would be willing to bet that over time they will skyrocket in value. Could some people be buying to flip them in 2 years? Maybe the value of a flipped FXX is greater than a 3-4 year old flipped F1?

Peter

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think it is better if you don't flip them and land on the wheels instead the roof.

22. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Exactly. Plus the fact that a lot more people can actually fit in an FXX. Have you every looked into that tiny driver hole in F1 cars?

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's not that bad. I'm somewhat overweight, but still manage to fit in there. Heck Alan Jones and Nigel Mansell drove them after their retirements. :)

F1 (like the Enzo I believe too) make special custom fit molds of your body for the seat. That's why one has trouble trying to fit into an existing seat, but if you own the car, you would make your own mold.

24. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Reminds me Saturn . . .

25. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name: