348 question | FerrariChat

348 question

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dr.T348, Apr 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I have noticed a high pitched whistle on hard acceleration at around 4000 - 5000 rpm's. At first I thought addition of k&n filter, but replaced old paper filter and get same noise.

Any ideas? Could it be pulley bearings going bad?

Not typical belt squeel. Sounds more like whine from induction like supercharger.

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

It very could be, and probably is, a bearing problem.

I recently had a whistling noise and the problem turned out to be (thank God) only an alternator belt bearing.

Please see my thread here regarding this issue.
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94943

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I didn't see much in the archives beside this: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76491

and a few references to the 348's emmission controls and exhaust tips...

at least, other than "bearings."

I can say though that the 348 does something unique from 3500 to 5500 rpms; we've got Intake Compensation Solenoid Valves. The ICSV is activated between 3500 and 5500 RPM's (when we are at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). This improves torque by opening our Compensation Throttles (helmholtz resonators).

Our transmissions do occassionally whine, either from bearing failure or from a simple linkage misadjustment (testable if the whine goes away when you put pressure on your stick shift): http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80586

4. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.

I read your thread and that's what worries me. No noise at idle, happens in all gears.

I went for a drive at lunch. No noise at idle or cruise. Really only at half throttle from 3500 - 5000. At full throttle it goes away.

"No Doubt" may be right. The ICSV maybe the problem, or not. Maybe half throttle not all the way open and whistling? Once open all the way goes away? Does the ICSV go bad? How do I check that?

Thanks, Richard

5. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    How does our air pump emmissions work? Do they shut off at Wide Open Throttle?

Also, would a bearing make a noise at half-throttle that it wouldn't make at full throttle?

6. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Air injectors work fine. Go off at WOT. Whistle happens whether engine is hot or cold.

I hope not. I originally thought it was a k&n filter, but still made same noise when I put old paper filter back in. I bet it is something to due with the ICSV.

7. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #7 No Doubt, Apr 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Oh, your asking me? I have no idea. The top pic looks like the cold air injection system. I would guess the 2nd pic, but I'm no expert.

9. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    My 348GTS sometimes whistles. It's a very subtle whisle and is 100% like a turbo whine and occurs under the exact same conditions i.e. accelerating moderately under load, perhaps in a higher gear than you should have selected.

It doesn't sound at all malevolent and the dealer seems to think it's just a normal noise from the induction.

To be honest, it sounds quite pleasant, and certainly nothing like a failing bearing.

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well from this description it sound like something to do with the intake compensation valve. It's located under the front bottom part of the intake plenum. You could either have the leaking air tube, or the vacume tube could have come off. If you look at the first picture that ND posted the tube is #14. The valve opens at the rpm's you are describing to help balance the intake pressure inside the plenum. It is run off of the 5/8 engine ecu. So when the rpm's are between 3,500 and 5,500 it opens. What I'm thinking is the "whistling" you are hearing is the tube not making contact with the intake compensation valve, or it could have com off of the intake compesation solenoid. So instead of the valve being opened, all you are hearing is the air being sucked into the tube. Go have a look at ALL of your a vacume tubing, make sure everything is connected and the tubing is in good condition.

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Hey Ernie, for us dillettantes rather than the pros, can you explain how Dr.T or myself could disconnect the ICSV signal?

I'm thinking that the tubing might be difficult to verify as being connected...but that if the ICSV signal is disconnected that he can test to see if the whistle goes away.

Perhaps that would isolate his problem?

12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The tubing is not hard to verify. All you have to do is look at all the connections. I DO NOT recomend that you disconnect the Intake Solenoid. The solendoid is there to help with the power of the car under acceleration. Also if you were to disconnect it you wouldn't be able to hear where the whistling is coming from. It sound like the problem is with the vacume tubing not the solenoid, because he is hearing the whistle, and thus there is vacume going on and the solenoid is functioning. But if you want to disconnect it all you have to do is unplug it. Looking in from the back of the car the solenoid is on the bottom lef side of the plenum, to the left of the oil filter. Again I would leave it connected and try to find the tube that is not connected properly or is leaking. So start at the solenoid and work your way around the tubes. You could have the engine running and then rev the engine to 4,000rpm or so. Listen to hear if the whistling is coming from the solenoid, or from under the plenum.

13. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.

Ernie, thanks for the great info. I will check the intake tubes and see. Will let you know what I find.

If this is leaking or diconnected, how would it affect performance? If the intake selenoid is bad, is it harmful to drive car?

Richard

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The solenoid opens to help with the midrange torque, not that the 348 has a whole bunch of torque to begin with. So If you are running without the compensation valve functioning properly you won't accelerate as quickly as you could in the mid rpm range. The solenoid is not open at all times, only between the given rpm's. So when you are just putting around town at 2,800 rpm it is closed, or when the engine is singing at 6,800 rpm it is also closed. It is only to help with the midrange torque of the engine, by varying the intake flow, and opening bewteen 3,500 - 5,500/rpm. So if it isn't fuctioning properly the compesation valve isn't being opened, and thus cannot open the throttle inside the plenum to vary the pressure between the to side of the intake.

I don't think your solendoid is bad because you are hearing the whistling. If the solenoid was bad you wouldn't hear anything at all. The solenoid opens and allows the air to be sucked through the vacume tubes. If there is no problem with the with the conditions or connection of the tube you should not hear any whistling because the vacume would be opening the compensation valve and not making the whistle. Again I do think it is a problem with the vacume tube because you are hearing a whistle, meaning that the solenoid is opening and closing as it should.

But then again I could be wrong and it could be the boogers in your nose doing all the whistling because you were breathing so hard from all the excitment. LOL :D

15. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    It should be fine to disconnect the ICSV for a test. All in the world that it does is to tune the sound (helmholtz resonation means matching sound wave pulses to when the intake valves are open) and equalize pressure between plenums. Without that fine-tuning you will lose some mid-range torque...but that should be fine for a test.

If the ICSV is disconnected and you no longer hear the whistling, then surely Ernie is right that it is an ICSV connection problem.

16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    No

I said I thought it could be a vacume tube problem.

17. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    My mistake. Sorry.

18. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Brief look and all tubes seem to be attatched. Although some are not pliable and even stiff on the ends. I may try to replace some of the tubbing. Looks to be plain rubber tube. Anything special about the tubbing?

19. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nope just go to the auto parts store and get what you need. "Sounds" ;) like the rubber is dried out. They sell the stuff by the foot. Take one of the old tubes to match it up with the new stuff. While your at it I would go ahead and change all the old vacume tubing.

20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Say, did you try reving the engine while it was on, so you could listen to where the whistling was coming from? If you haven't I would give that a shot.

21. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I'd think that DrT still needs to isolate the problem. His problem exists at partial throttle between 3,500rpms and 5,000rpms, but goes away at full throttle.

This could be the air injection (e.g. a hole in an air line), which probably shuts off at full throttle and might not be very loud below 3,500 rpms.

Or somewhere in the ICSV system (very coincidental rpms).

And that's if it's an air whistle rather than a bearing whine.

22. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Dr.T, any updates?

23. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    My car does the exact same thing. I had it checked out and the mechanic cited the air filter (a KN type) as the result. We chased it for some time and this was the result. We did not replace the air filter, however, so there is an outside chance that there is another cause.

The car makes the noise only under load, so you cannot duplicate it under idle by revving the engine. Worse, you can only hear it from the driver's side of the car, so it may be the issue is located on that side of the engine bay. I have stopped chasing the noise, but I sure would like to find the cause if it is fixable. The fact that it occurs only under load leads me to believe that torque may be related, as ernie says. I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

BTW, my Spider never did this and it only had the stock air filter.

24. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Engine out and back in. All vacuum lines connected and good shape. Still there. Maybe as Vince said. Air intake with K&N filter.

25. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    BTW, my mechanic discounted that vacuum could be the cause since the whistle sounds only on near full throttle at that 3500-5000 rpm speed. He claims that there is no engine vacuum to leak.