distance on 360 alarm | FerrariChat

distance on 360 alarm

Discussion in '360/430' started by RayJohns, Jul 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Just a quick double check. I recently removed my alarm siren and wired it up for an external battery. I wanted to double check that the distance from which the remote works is about 20 feet or so, but not much more. On my other cars, the alarm works from 300 feet practically, but on the 360, you basically have to be standing right in front of the car.

Is this normal for everyone else?

Thanks!

Ray "glad to have the red LED off" Johns

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Mine only works within 5-10 feet and it's a 360.

3. AutoXer

AutoXer Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    I have to be extremely close to the car, 5 to 10 feet.

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    It is not great for sure.

My CL500, C320, and 530i will open through walls, etc!

Would be nice if one of the wizards here has a remedy for the 360.

Now, remember that someone came up with the valuable fix for the alarm. How about a fix for the remote distance?

Anyone?

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Okay, thanks for the info! :) I just wanted to double check

I'm thrilled to finally have the LED off on the dash and to be able to replace the battery at will. I currently have a NiMH battery on there, but I am going to order up a Ni-cad for longer life and change it out shortly.

I'll post a write up and a few photos later

Ray

6. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Same here.

7. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    5 to 10' is all I get also - depends how I hold the remote, I have to be right next to the car sometimes.

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    There has to be a way to extend the range.

I'll speak with someone I know who's proficient with this to see what can be done.

Ray,

Be careful with your batteries. If too large they will damage the charging unit within the alarm.

It is wonderful not to have that LED in your face while night driving.

9. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Some alarms have range extenders. I know that python, made by DEi, makes an HF receptor. My range is quite ridiculous. The single greatest way to improve the range is to find the receptor and move it to the glass on the windshield. Most people do not like this but I love it. A lot of times its buried deep within the car and is the reason it gets terrible reception. Its hardly noticeable on the jeep because it sits behind the tinted glass at the top of the windshield. I have a great guy who does all my alarms and I cannot stress how much of a nightmare it is to wire alarms. Do not try it on your own. I've rewired my whole house and will not touch my alarm. LED's can always be removed. They are just added to thwart off thieves, and is only two wires.
    Neat trick..if you hold your remote under your chin and open your mouth it will project the signal further. It works for me on the honda.

10. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Actually, this trick work with most cars - no need to open your mouth thou.
    Even work with my Mercedes as well. I have not tried on 360 yet. Chris

11. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #11 GCalo, Jul 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have attached the drawing of the 360 alarm system. #13 is the alarm antenna. This is located near where the infamous alarm moduule is located. #12 is the alarm electrical module. It's P/N is: 168508.

I am Monday going to tear into this to see where that antenna wire goes and to see if it can be extended for better range.

This is a 433 Mhz system.

DEI has extenders, but not sure they are compatible with the Ferrari system.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've had my 360 for about 3 weeks now, I am in South Beach this week, and I trailered the 360. Well the alarm fob is going dead.. I only have one red remote.

1. Can I find a replacement battery for the alarm remote easy? (watch battery, etc)

2. I have two metal tags on the keychain are either of them the alarm disable code?? If so, how do I enter the code to start the car??

Thanks,
    Scott

13. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I spoke with the astrostart rep and he said they sell an oem range extender. Should be compatible with most models, but when does that ever include fcars. I don't think dei makes the hf extender anymore. I would definitely move #13 around and see what happens. maybe move it up closer to the windshield.

14. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Greg,

Where is the alalrm sytem located at?
    Chris

15. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Open the front bonnet, remove the panel to the right and striaght ahead, and behind the panel straight ahead you'll find the alarm siren just to the right.

The module should be behind that.

I'll open tomorrow, take pictures, and experiment with the antenna.

I'll post the results tomorrow.

16. horsmanp

horsmanp Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Patrick Horsman
    So someone can't clone your single, unless they are right next to you...

17. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    The DEI extender is Model 710T, but it's 434 Mhz!

Ferrari uses 433 Mhz!

So, I don't know if there is compatibility.

See: http://www.autotechs.com/items/item593.htm

I will check the antenna plug for wire count and # wires.

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    How so specifically? I'm switching to a 7.2 volt NiCD 110 mAh battery this week :)

Ray

19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Longs Drugs has the remote battery. It's the little 12 volt one. The # is A23. Bother Energizer and Duracell make them. The Energizer one has a little ring at the top of the positive terminal which keeps it from seating properly in the remote. As such, I use the Duracell ones. Just unscrew the little screw on the back of the remote, then pop open the case. The battery is right there.

Ray

20. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I took my remote to a lab to see if the distance limitation was coming the transmitter side (FOB, remote) or the receiver side (alarm system).
    I took 3 different remotes from 3 different cars and took some measurements.
    1. Ferrari 360 (1999)
    2. MBZ (2003)
    3. Nissan (2002)
    Both MBZ and Nissan remotes work well over 50 feet while 360 remote works around 10 to 15 feet at the most.

Surprisingly, the over the air measurement tells me that the Ferrari remote has the strongest transmit power (about 2X of Nissan and 4X of MBZ). This means that the limitation is on the alarm system side. I am guessing that rearranging the ANT wire might help extending the range. I am going to open mine up to see how the ANT wire is routed. All remotes I tested operate on 315MHz frequency range (none at 430MHz range). An extender can be designed if the system uses a proper ANT connector.

21. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    williws,

One of those tags is the alarm code, and you enter it by switching the key on/off to correspond to the numbers of the code.

Instructions are in the drivers/owners manual.

22. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    What's the reason for wanting to extend the range of the alarm remote control?

I truly believe that Ferrari have it right, with regard to the real possibility that some thieving ***tard could be trying to intercept your code from a distance.

It is happening all the time.

23. AutoXer

AutoXer Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Chris, you are going beyond the call of duty to do all this research :) But thanks and I would be interested in knowing the results!

24. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    "All remotes I tested operate on 315MHz frequency range (none at 430MHz range)"

Chris,

That's very interesting research. However, Ferrari states that the 360 remote is at 433 Mhz!

Are they tricking us?

I am opening mine up later today and will advise.

25. Porscheaddiction

Jan 15, 2004
    Cornwall, Ont.Canada
    Full Name:
    Chris Larocque
    tryng to extend the range, How brave is everyone?
    using radio theory at 315mhz length of receiver wire as follows
    1 full wavelength is equal to 984/315mhz=3.12ft or 300/315mhz=95.2cm
    1/2 wave is equal to 492/315mhz=1.56ft or 150/315mhz=47.6cm
    1/4 wave is equal to 246/315mhz=0.78ft or 75/315=23.8cm
    of course this may involve soldering right to the rec. board as I do not know if the unit is soldered on or is it plugged in...if its pluged its much easier just make up new plug with desired lenght of wire. its also best not to have the ANT. coiled up but as straight as possible, also keep it away from electrical noise such as the alt.
    for example if you have only a 23.8cm ant now. use the 1/2 wave at 47.6cm
    if you know the exact freq. ur remote/receiver runs on u can even get the length more exact for example 1/2 492/315.4530mhz=1.559ft or 150/315.4530=47.55cm
    working with radio ant. is not difficult hope this helps out some of the memebers.
    Chris.