348 Airconditioning Controller & System Schematics Needed | FerrariChat

348 Airconditioning Controller & System Schematics Needed

Discussion in '348/355' started by indytech, Jul 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. indytech

indytech Guest

May 24, 2006
    Winchester Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I working on my airconditioning system. I went thru the drill of removing the controller cleaning it and replaceing it. I don't think the controller is getting any current, and is just staying dark. Does anyone happen to have the controller schematic for a 90 348. I would like to bench check the unit & need to know where the power pins are for the controller. I'm pretty sure it operates on 12 vdc. but I'm not even sure about that. Any help would be greatly appreceated. Thanks Indy

2. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  3. indytech

indytech Guest

May 24, 2006
    Winchester Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Well, when your right your right. I actually was looking at the wrong fuse. Once I reviewed your links I looked a little more. My fuse holder had virtually exploded, and didn't even look like a fuse holder anymore. I cleaned it up put a temp fuse in what was left, and presto, my controller came back to life. Looks like it is working perfectly. Now I think my system may need a recharge. I'll try that next weekend. It looks really promising. Amazing, simply amazing. Thanks Indy

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #4 No Doubt, Jul 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are the components:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #5 No Doubt, Jul 10, 2006
  6. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #6 No Doubt, Jul 10, 2006
  7. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #7 No Doubt, Jul 10, 2006
  8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #8 No Doubt, Jul 10, 2006
  9. indytech

indytech Guest

May 24, 2006
    Winchester Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    This will help a lot, and hopfully lead to a new, reverse engineered control center. No-Doubt, if you happen to be holding the original PDF's could you be kind enough to e-mail them, ([email protected]). I could also use a copy of the 308 system drawings. Best Regards Indy

10. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    You're just going to be grounding or conversely providing +12 volts to a dozen or so wires (that all go to actuators)...no big deal...you could do it by hand with a +12v terminal and a ground terminal (not sure about the fan speed, however)...especially if you leave out the OEM electronic diagnostic capabilitites and temperature display, etc.

You could connect the wires mechanically or electronically.

The hardest part will be packaging your circuit aesthetically.

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    With a working unit it should be child's play to simply measure the output voltages to see what triggers the behavior of all A/C components.

Replicate those voltages and you've reversed engineered the functionality of the OEM A/C controller. Forget the sensors. Forget the diagonstics. Stick a red digital clock in there and you'll have it.

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I think you are VASTLY oversimplifying what would be involved with this job. The diagrams from the Workshop Manual may show how the wiring is routed from the control unit to the various other components in the climate control system, but they show nothing about the internal circuitry of the control unit itself.

I can see how you might be able to turn the A/C system off and on by re-engineering, but for it to properly function as an automatic climate control system, that's another thing entirely.

But hey, I'll be interested to see what happens.

13. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Good point. No, I wouldn't make the re-engineered version automatic.

Press one button for A/C. Press another for heat. One for fan speed. One for temp.

Forget the temperature sensors and the automatic climate control...just make it so that the A/C can function and that the heat can function.

If someone wants more, then they can either have their OEM box rebuilt or buy a NOS A/C controller. If they just want cheap functionality, then go with this manual re-engineered version that has no diagnostics, no automatic temperature cutoffs, etc.

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Wow. Let's see what this looks like when it's completed and available to the marketplace. What is your target price point and estimated availability date?

There were multiple revisions of the 348 A/C units, with the final build dates in 1994. The cases are different between the various versions. Older units have a much smaller footprint (the depth is about 1/2 inch shorter) than the new ones. Which version are you going to engineer to match?

15. indytech

indytech Guest

May 24, 2006
    Winchester Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I could go into detail as how I intend to do it, but If I tell everyone, I would have to hunt each and everyone of you down and terminate you. Just kidding
    no it really isn't as difficult as you might think. There is a world full of existing board level programmable controllers. Quite a few with LCD out puts. My task is to simply adapt one of these for this application.

The real task at hand is to identify exactly what the functional Inout and Output signals are, for example the type 0-5 volt, 4-20mA. 0-12 Volt, Analog, Descrete etc. Once I have mapped this accurately, I will be able to program the new controller to do exactly, (down to the finest detail) what the old controller is doing.

I have access to a instrumentation manfacturing company. I plan to use every asset at there disposal to make this unit totally professonal. This company has facilities for injection molding, and CNC Machining of all shapes and sizes, as well as custom board design. I intend to provide one that works, I'm not sure which unit is will resemble.

The price? My target price is the original retail price of the Ferrari unit. I'll probably give my brotherhood a significant break though. I'm really not doing this for the money, more for cars, and the people who own them.

I also really don't intend to threaten anyone or group that may be holding existing stock. It will be a little while befor mine is ready.

Best Regards Indy

16. dasherdiablo1

dasherdiablo1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    I know this topic dates back 4 years but hoping someone can help me....

I know this is a common issue where some days it works and some days it doesn't.

I removed mine to refinish the internal plastic trim. Unfortunately now it isn't working at all. I'ts got me thinking that if none of it is working it may be down to power supply or earth cabling.

As advised the 30A fuse looks exactly the same as in the photos others have posted. However I've put a meter on the cables in & out and the circuit is working (I will be replacing this tomorrow though for a modern gold plated fuse & holder). As they were close I've also tested both of the relays for the electromagnetic clutch and for the evapourator motor and they are operating correctly.

I now think I need to look at the ground connections to all of the AC kit. Predominantly though I feel it must be a main supply or earth cable/connection to the main ECU in car controller.

If it were small cabling to small AC components then only that piece of kit would not work. Therefore it must be the controller??? Or am I being silly in assuming this?

Thanks,
    David

17. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    Has anybody thought of putting the 355 a/c controller in a 348? Will it work? Could you engineer that?

18. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    good idea
    but does the 355 a/c controller work?