360 Headlight Lenses | FerrariChat

360 Headlight Lenses

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tomf-1, Jul 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    the headlight covers/lenses on my 360 is a bit dusty on the inside. is there an easy way to get access to clean them? thanks in advance.

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I just recently read the procedure in the workshop manual. I'll try to find and post.

3. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    hi greg,

i guess, in the meantime, it would be a smart endeavor on my part to do a little reading myself in the manual books.... :D :D . thanks.

4. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Some of the 00's had the early headlights. If that is the case, it may not be dust, it may be the lexan getting burnt from the sun reflecting off of the projector lamp on to the plastic. The late headlights have more of a shroud over the projector to fix this problem.

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Now what Colby stated is very important!

Did not know that!

Good info.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I've heard of people fashioning a swab on a stick and accessing the area through the removed light bulb housing to clean. Having the dealer remove them to clean/repair can be costly. In most cases it's really not worth doing anything.

7. THE BEAST 360

THE BEAST 360 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    Cloudy lenses is a big problem IMO, after looking at many different black 360’s . Before I bought my car FOW sent the lenses out to be fixed. They looked 85 % better but not perfect. Two and a half years since they have clouded up a little more. It would be great to know how to fix the problem all together. My 360 is a 2000 Euro. I would appreciate any suggestions as well.
    Nathan

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Euros don't have Xenons as a general rule.

So, maybe the standard Halogens cause more problems than do the Xenons with respect to the inner glass surfaces!

9. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I have Xenons in my '01.

Moisture and dust are siphoned into the housing through the drain hole. I've asked for a solution for this since I first joined FChat years ago and got many different theoretical solutions. My local Ferrari bodyshop said they've cut a set open, cleaned it, then resealed the units. They also said there's a chance the lense could be damaged in the process. I chose not to risk it and live with the dirty lense. Not planning to sell the car so it's no big deal.

10. THE BEAST 360

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    I have Xenon’s as well. This past spring while I was in Fort Lauderdale I saw two black 360's with the same problem both US cars. One was at Shelton Ferrari. Both cars looked like mine did before mine got "sort of" fixed.

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    how do you tell if you have Xenons ? Is it just that there is a bulb that can be removed or what?

Ray

12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My 01 had similar problems.

13. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Ray,

If your car is a US version you have Xenon low beams. High beams are halogens which I have replaced with a Hoen Xenon compatible white bulb. makes a big difference.

There is a firm that makes a Xenon high beam upgrade as well.

You can confirm you have Xenons by turning the wheels full to the right.
    Go to left front side and remove the plastic cover over the lighting assembly.
    You should see inside on the right a shiny square metal can about 4" square which is the high voltage power supply for the Xenons.

BTW, the procedure in the workshop manula to remove the light elements is very involved! Not worth the effort unless you plan to replace the assembly.

It makes more sense to remove the high beam halogen and use very, very long Qtips or the like to clean inside.

14. THE BEAST 360

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    I have Xenon’s as well. This past spring while I was in Fort Lauderdale I saw two black 360's with the same problem both US cars. One was at Shelton Ferrari. Both cars looked like mine did before mine got "sort of" fixed.

15. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    What was the "sort of" fix?

Always good to know.

16. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    It sounds like everyone that has this problem has an early car (ie:99-00). If that is the case, I am sure that your experiencing the reason the factory changed there headlight design. Apparently Euro cars didn't get the fix as soon.

17. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I think you're mis-reading the posts. We're talking about dirt and moisture getting into the light housing.

Yes, I am aware of the early 360 headlight design fix for burns, which is not relevant to my '01. It was covered in a thread a long time ago.

18. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    If the H/L problem was with only the Xenon lamps, I may understand the situation.

Xenons burn quite hot and clean and it's possible the heat and the light frequency caused issues with the inner plastic until Ferrari found a resolution.

If the Euros did not have the problem I would guess it was due to the lower heat of the halogens.

Also, maybe the Xenon bulb socket could not hold the heat of the Xenon bulb on the early models and could have emitted a gas from the plastic which disturbed or discolored the inner part of the assembly.

19. THE BEAST 360

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    "Sort of" refers to the fact that when FOW fixed the headlights they only got about 85% of the haze and watermarks out of the lenses. They couldn't get the lenses clean near the top of the housing where the parking lights are.

20. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    That's interesting.

I had looked at a 2001 360 coupe pozzi/tan F1 at Family Classic Cars in Capistrano around December.

There was a line about an 1" wide at the top of each lamp housing. They said their detailer could get it out! Right. I didn't buy that car obviously.

FoSF said the lamp housings needed to be replaced at about $1,500.00 each!

Very strange what goes on with these lamps.

21. THE BEAST 360

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    #21 THE BEAST 360, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. robertjaiken

robertjaiken Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    I have a problem with dust in my 360 light also.

23. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I had the same problem on mine and it cost me over $1,000 to get clean.

24. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
    OOps I meant to post to this thread here goes again:

Has anyone tried just taking out the light bulbs and putting a shop vac up to one of the holes? I just did it - worked pretty well. A few specks of dust are left at the top - I think I'm going to put the air hose in another bulb hole and - get this - blow and suck at the same time!

25. T-MAN

T-MAN Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    UK but work in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Tamer
    I guess that will be the first thing I will try... Any other methods anyone... something that someone has tried and worked? Also ... Anything I can do to remove light scratches on the outside of the headlight?