Spontaneous Airbag Deployment!! | FerrariChat

Spontaneous Airbag Deployment!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by azcarguy, Aug 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    If anyone can shed some light on this I would be grateful. I sold my 96 Spider about 2 months ago and keep in touch with the new owner because he's a real stand-up guy and fellow enthusiast.

That said he called me yesterday with a horror story. It appears that after driving the car to grab a bite to eat he returned, started the car and the airbags on both sides deployed injuring both he and his wife, breaking the side glass and windshield and tearing the dash and steering column.

Does anyone have a similar experience that might shed some light on the why, what, how of this? I have done a few searches and come up empty on this type of thing in other 355's. The only work I had done to the car related to this was to replace the dash leather which required disassembly and reassembly. I had a competent shop undertake this task for this very reason. After the car was finished it was driven about 3K miles during my ownership without a problem so the delay in deployment seems odd.

As I'm writing this I'm wondering if the new owner has had a recent radio or radar hardwire install? Anything else come to mind?

thanks in advance

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

It happened in my wife's brand new Volvo (98 model, I think). Total P.O.S. Sold the car a few months later and never looked back.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never heard of a deployment outside of what I refer to as "an act of human intervention", in other words, a screw up. That is what I would expect to find in this case. A misguided attempt at disconnection or a poor modification of the cars electronics.

6. Harmonyautosport

Harmonyautosport Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    That is very scary.

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I wonder if this is going to become a more common problem as air bag systems age in the 1st and 2nd generation cars so equipped...

8. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc

This is what I was thinking as well especially given that during my ownership (2600 miles in one years time) the car was flawless, and that was after dash replacement. Since my last post I emailed the new owner to see if anything was changed.

9. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I heard a story once that an airbag went off while a guy was driving and pinned his hands to the roof or something, then he crashed straight after. It was in some type of Holden Commendore.

10. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I've had an AB go off after the accident, and as a result the only injury....................was from the airbag!

11. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    This is exactly why I have had my air bags defeated.

I do not want any surprises such as this or to have my sight or reflexes disabled by deploying air bags if there is an incident.

This is also another very good reason to ensure that when one sells his vehicle that he has a competent bill of sale executed!

12. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    my BOS was drafted by my attorney so no worries there, I'm only trying to help the new owner out. He has no ill will toward me and realizes that used is used. Still nice to get answers!

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Actually after rereading the orig post Ferrari is probably off the hook too because the air bags are scheduled for replacement at 10 years.

14. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    So where do we buy the early 1995 Euro 355 glovebox that fits in where the expired airbag used to go?

JM

15. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Sorry to get off subject, but you had your attorney draft the bill of sale?

What is this world coming to....can't one just say on blank date car with VIN was sold for x to y as is, no recourse... and both parties sign?

16. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I guess it all comes down to whether or not you're willing to lose everything you've worked hard all your life for to someone that feels you may have wronged them or "taken" them. I am unwilling to and if you want it you will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands!

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    ME TOO! Brand new 1993 top of the line no customer support so I sold it ans will never buy another one. Volvo worst car on the market mine could not make it out of warranty.

18. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Of course you can but there is more to a proper B of S than just the wording you mentioned and what you mentioned may not suffice!

And the incompletness of this wording can cause the buyer and the seller a whole host of problems.

What's the world coming to? Absolutely nothing.

A proper B of S is a prudent tool.

19. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Her's was a S70 Wagon I think. It sure seemed like a nice car the day we bought it. From there.... all downhill.

When the airbag blew, I was sitting in the driveway. I had just sat down in the drivers seat, door was open, and heard this shotgun blast. I was so scared that I dove from the car and onto the driveway... thinking that I was being shot at. Once I cleaned my pants, I looked at the car to see what happened. The side impact bags had fired, but the bags didn't deploy! There was a white residue on everything and the plastic fasica on the B-pillar that housed the airbag was blown off completely. (I guess this was before Volvo devided to put the bags into the seats themselves?) The interior of the car literally smelled like a skeet range -- a gunpowder like smell for sure.

With the "airbag" light now glowing on the dash board, I took it back to the dealer and said, "WTF mates?". They said, "Oh, your warranty covers that... so we'll just install new ones".

UM, DUDE, it's not about the warranty!! I could have been killed if this happend while the car was in motion!

Anyway, sold the POS and bought a terrific E39 wagon.

20. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Daniel,

What you were smelling was perchlorate.

That's what is used in rocket fuel, and it's carcinogenic. Can you believe that!

So, for all of you who feel your government is protecting you by requiring air bags, consider what Daniel said as well as others who have received the wrath of air bags deploying. And consider the children that have been killed by air bags!

Remember, your government authorized the perchlorate as the explosive accelerant, because it's used in their rockets!

Disable those air bags.

Daniel, remember that your BMW has air bags, too!

21. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Good news? I sold the big 7 series a few weeks ago. I loved the car, but it made me crazy. I washed it, waxed it, babied it.... but never drove it! In the last 12 months, I put less than 1500 miles on it. It went to a very very good home.

To be honest, my crappy little Saturn SL has been better than $50,000 of psychotherapy. I leave it outside. I put cheap gas in it. I never wash it. I let the dog ride with me. It's a rolling crap-pile. I never change the oil, etc. etc. I bought the car from a fellow Fchatter as a joke for $1000 over a year ago. It runs like a champ and gets 38mpg. Quite honestly, this little Saturn has made me realize what a nut-case I'd become during the last 25 years of cars.

Bad news? The Saturn has a single airbag. BUT, the mouse-driven seat belts work GREAT!

22. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I was on the phone with a client several years ago when the call just went dead (like on a dropped call). I got in touch with the client two days later. He was not paying attention, ran a red light, and t-boned a car going about 50 mph. The child in the back seat of the other car was in pretty bad condition. My client's arm was broken by the airbag deploying. Luckily both got better. My client now refuses to ride in a car with the driver on a cell phone. I would say you should feel good that your bags deployed while the car was stationary, Dan. My mom had an old 240 wagon that was like a tank (pre-airbags). Too bad the brand has gone down hill.
    BT

23. Dr.G

Dr.G Karting

Jun 7, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Giulio oliva
    Daniel.................I don't think that what you were "SMELLING" was perchlorate...............EHEHEHEHEHEHEH.............Cognitive distortion...........EHEHE

24. wckennedy@aol.com

Apr 29, 2006
    Christiansburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Kennedy
    I once wrecked a car because I was dailing a cellphone and driving at the same time. Cured me--I turn off my cell phone when I get in the car. I have spent a lot of time in Germany where the traffic laws are very strict--and in my view appropriate. If I had been driving per German law I would not have wrecked!

25. my_adidas

my_adidas Karting
    BANNED

Jun 22, 2005
    I disable the airbags on all my cars. I know it's supposed to be safer having them. But I can't get over having a rocket motor pointed at my face while driving.