gutted cat vs straight test pipe observation | FerrariChat

gutted cat vs straight test pipe observation

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by J.P.Sarti, Sep 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Bought a set of test pipes to replace the cats in my 355 as I was getting some hot temps I thought in my rear engine compartment and wanted to prevent potential fire hazards.

After considerable work removing the cats I found they were already gutted unfortunately, I replaced the gutted cats since i bought the test pipes anyway thinking they might possibly make a difference.

Interesting results, using Peters's infared temp gauge the gutted cats had a temp of 335'-340'F, the test pipes are around 230'F thats almost 100' F cooler, my assumption is the metal in these and airflow are designed to hold heat, the gasses must swirl around in them vs going straight out the back, the test pipes are also significantly louder then the gutted cats as well the car seems to have much better low end response, I would expect this with a fuctioning normal Ferrari cat but not a gutted one.

2. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    A sudden change in pipe size is a big no-no in fluid flow. So replacing the ex-cat with a straight pipe eliminates TWO sudden changes: one sudden expansion and one sudden contraction. The original exhaust was tuned to work with the cat's "guts" in place. Lots of people have the same experience: gut the cat expecting some gain, and get disappointing results. But at least it was cheap!

3. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Interesting point, I'll bet the gutted cats were actually taking away power from stock which is why the power gain is so noticeable.

4. Harmonyautosport

Harmonyautosport Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    Bingo.