The End of Crystal Cove? | FerrariChat

The End of Crystal Cove?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by toycar, Oct 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toycar

toycar Rookie

Jul 24, 2005
    Irvine
    Full Name:
    Jeff Thompson
    #1 toycar, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    So, If I show up at 7 am on Saturday with the F40 to get some Starbucks and I happen to see a friend of mine and we sit down and talk, Am I going to be arrested?!?!?

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Not for that! :)

4. Guaruja

Guaruja Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Andre R
    Hopefully the last two will be memorable. I might just have to make it down there for the first time in 2 months....

Damn GMATs ruining my life! haha

5. jpress

jpress Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2005
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    2 weeks left.... The letter doesn't really say what will happen to people if they show up, it just states that it 'will no longer be available' but I'm sure it will be open for the coffee shops..... Hmm, we'll just have to see.

6. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Supposedly (what I heard) is Barry Meguiar is trying to talk Fashion Island into being the new host. Uh huh...like Rick said...

7. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    They've been spreading this info for a few weeks now. I feel bad but something will come up to replace it. Maybe by the Saleen Store at the Spectrum or Fashion Island or...whatever. I know the Irvine Company is in a bind because of the residents and they won't shut up until this closes down.

Then when Starbuck's and Pacific Whey have to close because the rent just doesn't allow any profit now that sales are 1/10 the old amounts, they might cut them some slack on their leases and everybody will be hurting.

Truthfully it has grown too large and with all of the trailers and aftermarket shops carting in their newest demonstrator vehicles (Anybody see that limo blasting its stereo last week?), the kids egging people on at the corner, the for sale signs and people selling stuff even after months of being told to knock it off, it was only a matter of time before the few bad apples spoiled it for the whole bunch.

I say we go out with a bang though. EVERYBODY WHO HAS EVER THOUGHT OF GOING, GET YOUR BUTT DOWN THIS WEEK AND NEXT!

8. Marc G

Marc G Karting

Feb 22, 2004
    Costa Mesa, CA
    The Irvine Company has made it clear that they will defend all their properties against any other gathering of car guy's, i.e. Fashion Island and Irvine Spectrum. Check out the OC Register tomorrow along with the Daily Pilot. Irvine Co is using the press to slow down and stop cars from coming to Crystal Cove. Call all your friends and get them ready for their fifteen minutes of fame. The press is coming to Crystal Cove. Stay tune for more info later.

Marc Greeley

Power in numbers!

9. Ryan in SD

Ryan in SD Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    San Diego
    quite obviously, that sucks!

10. gbrown37

gbrown37 Formula 3

Feb 15, 2005
    San Diego/UCSB
    Full Name:
    Garrett
    bummer man. I'll be home in SD from college for the weekend of the 14th, I just might have to see about coming up for the last CC ever. who is going to come?

11. charlie_ludden

charlie_ludden F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Charles
    That seriosuly sucks
    And they wont allow Fashion Island?

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

MS retiring and now this. :(

Lately the show has been pretty tame. Irvine company is going to try to squelch any of their properties as the previous poster mentioned. They don't want the liability. I'm sure Barry will be able to pull something off as I know he was trying to do it well over a year ago. The fact is, I can't imagine a better location with view etc. BTW, those whiner neighbors must just be miserable SOB's because PCH traffic that is 24/7, is far worse than what the show emits.

Make sure we all show our disapproval with our pocket books.

DON'T SHOP CRYSTAL COVE!!!

13. bb7110

bb7110 Karting

Jul 13, 2005
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Brenton B
    That sucks we are being kicked out, but it is a perfect excuse for an awesome couple of shows. Could we top August 3rd of last year? (3 Enzos, McLaren F1, Shelby Series One, 2 CGT's, etc.) A bigger parking lot would be nice though!

14. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    NOOOOOO!!!! I do hope Fashion Island or some other place really close by will host it. It's a really great show and it's so great to meet and chat with the owners. It'd be very to see it all end! :(

15. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Irvine CO SUCKS!

16. 951

951 Karting

May 24, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, I'll definitely go these last two weeks.

17. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    I say we lay down the biggest skid mark they have ever seen. But on a serious note back to what Rick was saying. If a car has plates and the driver is there patroning Starbucks what are they going to do arrest the driver for loittering (spelling?)...? or what if we all arrived in crappy cars and loitered in the parking lot to discuss the weather. I let some gentlemen borrow my car a few weeks ago for a photoshoot and the irvine police came by and told us it was a 1500 dollar fine for photo taking without a permit. And that was at the state beach across from Crystal Cove. JJ

18. Marc G

Marc G Karting

Feb 22, 2004
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Barry and I meet with the Irvine Company last Monday. We meet at city hall with the City manager and Councilman Ed Selich, Newport Beach Police and the Irvine Company. Barry did an awesome power point presentation for taking CC to Fashion Island. The Irvine Co. said no way, not ever, find a new home but not on are properties. Barry's coming home from Europe on Tuesday. I will keep you updated.

Marc

19. Marc G

Marc G Karting

Feb 22, 2004
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Modified Oct 02, 2006 - 22:46:27 PDT

Them's the brakes for local car show
    Irvine Co. tells 'Donut Derelicts' they can't keep meeting at Crystal Cove Promenade.
    By Amanda Pennington

Robert Gagnebin checks the power plant under a Dodge Viper's hood at a car show earlier this year at Crystal Cove Promenade.

For years Mark Greeley and Bob Cheatley made their way to Huntington Beach to admire cars, drink coffee and chat with friends at the Saturday "Donut Derelict" car show.

Three years ago, in the interest of staying in their community, they started meeting with some of their local buddies outside the Starbucks in Crystal Cove Promenade.

But now the future of a loosely organized car show held every Saturday morning hangs in the balance after the Irvine Co., which owns the center, has waved the red flag on future meetings. The company is circulating fliers that the last car show will be Oct. 14.

"We hosted it for three years and it started off as something small and we could deal with it," said Bill Rams, an Irvine Co. spokesman. "Over time, it's grown into something that is more complex with commercial activity and the amount of traffic."

What started as just a few guys gathering for some good old camaraderie and a horsepower fix morphed into a gathering of about 200 cars and 600 spectators, making it too large for the shopping center, Rams said.

• Them's the brakes for local car show
    • Hotelier leaving Newport Beach
    • BUSINESS SPOTLIGHT:
    His and hers shop
    • BRIEFLY IN BUSINESS

But the car enthusiasts aren't all willing to pack up their wheels and go elsewhere.

"The city of Newport Beach likes the event, the community likes the event — there are a few that don't like the event — but the Irvine Co. are the ones that say, 'This is our ballpark and our bat and go home,' " Greeley said. "But they can't close the center, they can't discriminate against a person driving in their parking lot for what he drives."

Rams said because of the event's size and because companies attend the show to conduct business and promote themselves, it would now require a special events permit issued by the city of Newport Beach. advertisement

Matt Dingwall, a city recreation coordinator, said in a phone message the show would not require a permit.

Greeley said the business being conducted there was largely people with for-sale signs on the cars or fliers for their businesses on their cars. They've only had one problem with a car dealership not respecting what they were there to do.

Except for a few traffic violations, the Newport Beach Police Department has received minimal complaints about the show, Sgt. Bill Hartford said, adding that people involved actually asked police about conducting enforcement because they "wanted to be good neighbors."

"It's just as much about friendship as it is the cars," said Newport Beach City Councilman Ed Selich, who has gone to the event on many occasions.

But Rams affirmed the show has become too large for the center's parking lot.

"If they wanted to come to talk to us about getting an events permit and maybe hosting it on an annual basis like we do for the Race for the Cure, we would sit down and talk to them about that," he said. "The shopping center really isn't the place for a weekly event of this magnitude."

Selich said it was a shame the Irvine Co. officials were not inviting the enthusiasts to the center, although he understands the bind the developer is in.

"It's shutting down, which I think is a shame because it was a real nice event and the people that go to it are primarily upscale folks who have nice cars and car collections that they bring out on the weekends to sit around and drink coffee with their buddies for two hours…. But it's certainly within their rights to close it down and say it's become too big," he said.

Cheatley died in July, which made Greeley realize the Saturday morning get-togethers are as much or more about friendship than they are about admiring Ferraris, Lamborghinis, classic hot rods and specialty vehicles each weekend.

After a meeting between Greeley, Barry Maguiar, police and city officials last week, the Irvine Co. issued a news release Monday about the car showing trying to find another location, something Greeley said is just a tactic to spin it their way. Rams said he wishes all the car enthusiasts the best and hopes they find a venue for their event.

"We're dealing with good people and we hope they understand that this has grown to become on the magnitude of a special event and hope they understand and respect that," Rams said. "Obviously it's quite an event."

Greeley said the friends and "car guys" he's spoken with are upset and they plan on protesting the Irvine Co.'s decision.

"The Irvine Co. is the biggest landlord in town and for the Irvine Co. … to tell a group of guys they don't have the right to come here and gather, that's a blow to the community," Greeley said. "And by them saying they're a community-oriented company is hog wash."

For now, the search for a new venue has been unsuccessful but some, including Selich, are still on the hunt.

QUESTION

Has the Saturday morning car show outgrown Crystal Cove Promenade? Call our Readers Hotline at (714) 966-4664 or send e-mail to [email protected]. Please spell your name and tell us your hometown and phone numbers for verification purposes only.

20. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    We all knew that this day was coming. Like others have said, they can not keep us out... we park our cars and have coffee or eat at pacific way cafe; what are they going to tell us? The difference will be that the "show area" will no longer be there. Is that such a bad thing? the event attracts too much "bad outisde" attention. As long as all the OC F-crew shows up then I will be happy.

21. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    F-guys,

There's a spot where we rendevous before runs and sometimes meet for lunch ;) A new Starbucks just opened in the plaza. There's plenty of seating outside the hamburger resturant. I'm sure if we don't make too big a deal out of it we could have a decent gathering.

Need to keep it on the DL

G

22. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    No way to keep it on the DL. Best to leave it the way it's been with our informal impromptu lunch gatherings or it will get out of hand and we'll end up with NO good place to go!

23. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    Damn, and I was so excited for November when I could see Crystal Cove for the first time. :(
    Hope we find somewhere new.

Peter Hatch

24. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Isnt the Paul Mitchell School closed on SUndays. I dont mind walking across the street for Coffee. Or Rick can get a capacino machine. JJ

25. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    Well rather than showing up at 6am, why not show up at 10am? Go buy a cup of coffee, hang out, and tell the cops to suck it. If you're parked in a regular (non-marked) spot, and buy something, what can they really do?

In all honesty I have loved this gathering over the last couple years and really feel as if it's the end of an era. I know a couple guys at The Irvine Co.(being in the same industry) and have asked for personal favors to keep this going but they are dead set on shutting it down. It has very little to do with the local police, but more so the few who speed, show off, and act like jerkoffs far too early on saturday morning. They don't want to, or need to deal with it, so they won't. I feel absolutely sick that this magnificent gathering is coming to an end, but really we all saw it coming. It changed from a friendly hangout to a flipping "who's who" of south county spectacle.

All of us who are fortunate enough to live in the pinacle of supercar ownership should shed a tear as this awesome event comes to a close. :( I fear this will be the end of an era of sorts, where people will talk of great times past, yet we're unable to pick up and start over at a more friendly location.

Has anyone tryed talking to Saleen directly to see if we could use their parking lot on Sat morning? Yeah no coffee, but enough room and no b/s. Sorry, but other than that the best I can offer is a couple parking lots in Foothill Ranch.

I truly feel bad for everyone who ever attended CC in honest good fun. I enjoyed meeting many of you, and will truly miss those early mornings. :(

I'm fairly well connected in the area, if there is anything I can do to help setup a new location without the hassle please don't hesitate to ask. I'll do anything and everything in my power to make it happen.

My biggest disappointment is knowing I will be out of town and unable to attend the last to meetings of such a great gathering, the sorrow I feel can't be described in words on this page. :(