348 Body panel | FerrariChat

348 Body panel

Discussion in '348/355' started by IanMac, Oct 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I have a bit of damage to the narrow panel that runs across the front of the car immediately above the front bumper. Can anyone tell me if this panel can be removed for repair?

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
  3. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks for that.

I did a search but didn't find the earlier thread, probably because I need to know whether the panel is removable on a 348 rather than a 355. Unfortunately the responses to the earlier thread don't come up with a clear conclusion, even for the 355, as some suggest it just bolts in, others that it is also spot welded.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer for a 348?

4. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    its spot welded on .. why cant it be repaired in place? you may damage it if you remove the piece, but if you are replacing it , no big deal..

5. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    It sounds as if it might have to be repaired in place, but I'm taking the bumper off anyway and thought I might be able to kill two birds with one stone. Painting it off the car would avoid the need for masking and eliminate the possibility of overspray.

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Are you painting the front bar yourself? If a paint shop is doing the job, then get them to spray the front panel while you are there. If they do it, you can rest assured that they will mask the car to avoid overspray. ;) They are not that silly to have to go over and 'fix' your car after they get overspray over it. :p But crazier things have happened. :rolleyes:

7. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Pap

I'll get it repaired/painted professionally, but since I'll be taking the bumper off anyway (because it needs some work) it would be ideal to unbolt that little section at the same time and have it done off the car. When I do this the car will be in my garage for the winter and, with the front end in pieces, it would be a hassle to get it to the paint shop. If the section is spot welded on it's a different matter and I might have no alternative.

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Ok mate. See how you go. :)

9. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I've now removed the panel. No spots welds, only six 8mm bolts, four at the front and two at the top.

10. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #10 No Doubt, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The factory diagram shows screws/washers/nuts holding on that piece, for whatever that's worth. And that trim piece sells new for 70 pounds, so I wouldn't spend too much time repairing a damaged one instead.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
    Is this part exactly the same on the 348 and the 355?

Maybe the ones that are spotwelded became that way after an accident repair.

12. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Possible. Ferrari went from human welds on the 348 to robotic welds on the 355, so the same body panel pieces may be installed differently (perhaps).

It is the same trim piece as far I can see, though.

13. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Dam my car was welded by a robot?? I knew something was up..