Strange idle at startup? | FerrariChat

Strange idle at startup?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Easy888, Oct 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hey guys,

I did a search on "rough idle" and couldn't find much so forgive me if this topic has been covered extensively in the past.

I live in SoCal so weather permitting, extreme cold shouldn't be an issue.
    However, is it normal on a cold start (after car sits for 24 hrs) to idle below 1K rpm for about 10~15 seconds? It doesn't seem or get close enough to "dying", but it certainly isn't as "normal" as say, when you start it up the 2nd, 3rd, or anytime thereafter. After the 10~15 second time period, then the car comes alive at the "normal" idle range, about 1K rpm.

Is this a problem that warrants a visit to the dealer? Or is this normal? (talking about a 360, 6-Speed if that makes a difference).

Thanks.

Jim

2. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    Turn the battery off at the 'Kill' switch on passendger side under the hood.

Give it a short while off, the switch ignition on until OK appears.don't start the motor, then turn back off, and on again, start up and let it idle for a period of time (10 mins) while the ECU re-learns the settings.

3. Scalarrthu

Scalarrthu Karting

Apr 25, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Paul L
    I believe that is normal behavior for these cars. We had that problem every once in a while if the car (360 6-speed also) had been sitting for a while, like you said for 24 hours.

I had tried to reset the computer and let it re-learn a few times and it didn't seem to change anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. m3power222

m3power222 Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Camas, WA
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    My car does what you described and I believe it's normal. I've done the ECU reset and it made no difference. I've had the car in the dealer for service and they have never mentioned anything wrong.

5. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    There have been multiple posts about this. My CS does it- stumbles a bit at cold start ups. Some have claimed that sending their ECU's to FNA to be reflashed has helped. However, this issue seems to be normal operation and nothing to worry about.

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My car does this. Have reset the ECU and it makes no difference. I asked Brian Crall about it and he said it is pretty much "normal" behavior. He is trying to come up with a correlation between this phenomenon and low battery voltage. He told me that if you start the car and it exhibits the rough idle, immediately turn the key off and restart the car, and it will idle normally. If you let it sit there and idle rough long enough, it may throw a check engine light on.

7. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks guys. Since my check engine light isn't on and seemingly I'm not the only one experiencing this, I guess its the norm.

8. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks guys. Since my check engine light isn't on and seemingly I'm not the only one experiencing this, I guess it's the norm.

9. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    this 'dying' idling for a few seconds happens in the colder months of the year when they change the oil mixture at gas stations

10. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    My 2004 360 Modena (manual) also has the same issue when starting cold.

But I have another problem also: when I am approaching a traffic light and I put the car in neutral and lift my foot off the gas, many times the RPM dips below 1100 for a few seconds before settling back at 1100. I find that it does this whether it’s cold or warm (but more often when it’s cold).

The one thing that I do that increases the odds of the car idling properly at a traffic light is when I press the clutch first before lifting off the gas and then lift off the gas. This eliminates any load from the drive train and tends to cure the idling problem most of the time (but not always).

Anyone else has this problem?

11. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have this problem when I am flying up to a stop light or stop sign and brake very hard at the last moment. In other words, when the car is undergoing a high deceleration, ending in a stop, the RPM's dip for a couple of seconds before smoothing out at the normal range. I just figured the G's were affecting the fuel delivery system?? What do I know...

12. motion

motion Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    At the track
    Full Name:
    Motion
    My CS has also had a rough idle at startup. It's getting a new ECU installed now... will report back if idle is improved.

13. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    2003 6 speed with both of the above symptoms.
    Asked on this board about 9 months ago and seems like most have the same situation.
    I wonder if a change of plug (iridium) might help?

Russell