eBay Boxer | FerrariChat

eBay Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ken, Oct 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A flat 12 is pretty needy, bro..

Yep, same car, same house...same story...no books no records no history.....

Sure, get a piece of the action!

You'd think they'd find another house at least...a shame they don't see us discussing the car..LOL!

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
  4. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Why would anyone sell this car cheaply when the market has gone up substantially in the last 9 months? Is there something wrong with the car?

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Seems like a decent car. What would anyone guess the auction will end at?
    I would guess $70k.
    BT

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You have to eventually find the market......this car is with some kind of used car lot........

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Actually this type of auction is a bit of a farce. Although there is no reserve and the starting bid is quite low, if the bids do not get to where the seller wants them to be, he will cancel the auction before it ends... usually stating that the item has already been sold, etc (which is an acceptable reason to Ebay). Interestingly, these "sold before auction end cars" usually appear a few weeks later...

Cheers,

Sam

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Not so sure its a great car. The big yellow honking ignition coil and the cut floor panel for the speaker, the amps and radio tell me there is more mickey mouse stuff below the surface that add up to large money. The owner was probably more concerned with the stereo than maintaining the car hence the lack of books and paper work.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Discussed at length:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111502&highlight=37863

I don't see why you guys are ragging on it so much-- it looks decent to me. The later stereo isn't what I would do (but mine has a later stereo in it too, so shoot me!), but I don't see why that would have a huge impact on the value.

You guys all rag on Sheehan for saying Boxers are undervalued and then gripe that this car is only worth $70k?

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that it's no history, etc. He says in the ad that it's been owned by the same person for the last 10 years and had a recent major service. So I bet it's got at least 10 years of history, and a determined person could probably piece together more.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i agree w/ all your comments. except...it is good to rag on sheehan as it keeps him in line (a little).

This car w/ 10 years history is not too shabby and the pics make it show well. if near as nice as it looks, it seems a tidy machine.

11. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    And it may be. But it's been for sale forever and the market has spoken for what it's worth: $68-70k. Lots of people have checked it out and no takers. Makes one wonder what they saw that they didn't snap it up at a higher price.

Ken

12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    My 2¢ worth is that the seller is testing the market price and exposing the car. Look, a '77 sold here for $75K and it needed all sorts of stuff. Frankly, if that car had a CA BAR sticker, the sky would be the limit and no one would whine about the stereo.

I sure wish it was closer to me so I could inspect it. :)

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Nobody would whine about the stereo until they tried to find the correct one. There must be something wrong with it or it would have gone long ago.

14. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I tried to buy 37863 a few weeks ago. Steve Waldie gave me a number that would buy it, I spoke with the last shop to service it, and tried to set-up a PPI, but Steve just didn't call me back.

Sounds like a decent car, needs a little work but nothing too serious according to the mechanic (primarily an Alfa shop). Woman brought it in for service, wasn't happy with the expense of a belt service, it sat in the shop for about a year. I think Steve picked it up for very little, plus the cost of the service. He said he's had it a couple of years, the mechanic gave a different timeframe of less than a year since Steve did his deal with the woman.

Looks like it's spent its life in the same area.
    Courtesy of FMA:
    S/N 37863
    512 BB Berlinetta Boxer
    Chassis Tipo F102BB
    Motor Tipo F102B No.
    European model 1981
    Owned 1982 Steve Telchin, Schenectady, NY/USA. (FOCUSA Dec 1982).
    Owned 1990 Don Dixon, Holmdale, NJ/USA. FOCUSA member.
    We do not have any records that would indicate whether or not 512 BB S/N 37863 had been legalized.
    For 512 BBi S/N 42849 we do have on record an advertisement offering the car in which the seller states that the car has EPA and DOT releases.

I don't have the shop name with me, if I still have it at all. I'll check later.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interesting.....welcome and thanks for posting!!

So he picks it up for 'little' plus cost of repairs, and wants to hit a Home Run on it...

If it goes on eBay to some newb, no PPI...he's home free, counting the money.

Someone shows up like yourself and starts finding some juicy previous owner history and mentions PPI...........dial tone on the other end....

Sounds like the 'female owner' (not listed by name) didn't know much about the car either, when she ordered her 'tune up'.........

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Now it HAS a reserve???

"$79K Reserve not met????"

He needs to find the Books and Records...if ya know what I mean......;)

17. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    It's the same car as on his site at $89K. I think he's feeling the market also, since it went higher than the price he told me would buy it......before it went that high on the auction.....and then he just didn't call back. I think he probably tried to contact the highest bidder (just $600 short of his $80K reserve), and they, for whatever reason, balked or maybe backed out after a PPI. The mechanic mentioned that there was overspray somewhere, but couldn't remember where (didn't record where it was in his notes), indicating tha something has been repaired, but that the frame is straight and engine strong, a few minor door dings, and a "killer" stereo. Has potential.

Here's the car as presented on his site:
    http://www.interstatemotorsport.com/detail.cfm?ID=145594

On a side note, Gerald Roush at FML (incorrectly noted as FMA in my prev. post - D'OH!!!!) has been extremely helpful in ferreting-out histories of several Boxers for me - just as several have suggested here on F-chat.

I'm still keeping an eye on this one, mainly because it's a late carb car, and I wouldn't feel TOO guilty running it hard on occasion.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL! It's the "killer stereo" that is killing his deal! ;)

If you don't like it, I guess you could drive home in the VW, Roadmaster or Nissan truck........

Sigh........

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No doubt it could be made right for 'X' amount of dollars..

Probably good value, in the 70 - 80K range.......good luck!

20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If the things I've read on this site are true (JP, where are you?), then I'd be disappointed if this car goes for under $90-100k.

That said, the Boxer market has generally been disappointing, so while I would be disappointed, I would not be surprised.

Also, factor in that it's getting to be winter time--probably not the best time of year to be selling a Boxer.

It's the old story-- one car sells for $150k and everyone shouts yay! and then a car sells for $60k, and down we go...

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I made this comment on the 308/328 value thread..

As these cars age the spread between 'car with issues' and 'low mileage time capsule example' grows greater....that's your 70K to 150K right there!

That and the rarity of the 'time capsules' explains the 512/365BB spread as well.....

These guys don't know what they have, IMO or they would have spent the time to do the EASY stuff...pull and blank the radio/speakers, fix that wonky coils on the fender....you could lift the car's value 10K just honestly reasembling the ownership history...and confirming EPA/DOT work...

I mean this stuff is yes or no type answers!

I'd be more afraid the 'lady' in the picture got the darn thing poisoning some poor smuck and it doesn;t even have clear title!

They need some confidence inspiring documentation, not unreturned phone calls..

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So did this thing sell????

Spread of $600 doesn't sound like much to me!

Does anyone know?

23. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    The first owner was Steve Telchin, Schenectady, NY/USA. (FOCUSA Dec 1982).

I don't know for sure but I remember people that worked at the GE Turbine facility in Schenectady talked about the site VP driving a Ferrari Boxer to work. The implication was that he was demonstrating his alpha male traits by doing so. I never met the man and don't know if this was his car but knowing Schenectady, I doubt that there was more than on Boxer there.

24. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I bought my 308 from them. Mostly upfront but he left out that my car had a crease on the passenger side door and the rear quarter panel had been resprayed (it was pretty obvious in the sun light). He said he just did not see the crease and to his credit, I did not notice it either until the PPI shop put it up on a lift.

So far my car has been fine and I've done a lot of little things to it maintenance wise. Mine was a one-owner car - that I'm sure of - but he did not have any records on it (and for some reason could not get them).

Either way have the car checked out. Steve is a car salesmen, but I don't think he'll try to hide things or screw you over. Get a good PPI and take it from there.

25. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It's been relisted.