Suspension bush replacement | FerrariChat

Suspension bush replacement

Discussion in '348/355' started by chrisx666, Nov 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    #1 chrisx666, Nov 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I had all mine done couple months ago...complete suspension.
    Labor cost me $720
    Bushings were around $1000
    Delta Vee strut rebuilding & doing to 355 bushings in the struts was around $1600+ if I remember right...

Those suspension bushings are a biatch to get outta the A-Arms... Have fun I wouldnt want to be doing it..lol

Made a huge difference in ride/handling...

good luck!
    Chris

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks for the pics Chris. Looks like fun. :p Pressing bushes in and out all day can leave you very fustrated. Has anyone ever considered getting bushes made? Im sure somone on here has been looking into that? Or something like that?? If I ever have to do mine, id seriously weigh up the genuine parts cost vs getting some made locally. :)

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cant say ive ever used any of them puller tools. I usually do them in the workshop 10T press when I can and also the way Chris has shown in pics when need be. :)

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #6 No Doubt, Nov 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

That looks about right ND. :)

7. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Cheers guys. A home technique for removing/fitting the A-arm bushes with no big press available (purists look away..) - minimal force but skill needed. I have used the hydraulic press at work as well as this method, but if you do not have perfectly sized mandrels it can be even harder with the press - and easier to damage the A-arm bush ring.

Tools: Pretty big vice on solid bench. Hacksaw. Blowlamp. Various large sockets.

1. Put a new bush in a bag in the freezer. Remove the A-arm.
    2. Chop off the protruding (small) end of the bushes with a hacksaw.
    3. Warm the exposed rubber with a blowlamp untill it bubbles. This breaks the bond twix rubber and sleeve.
    4. Push out the rubber using a vice and socket.
    5. With the arm held in soft jaws use a hacksaw to radially cut JUST through the sleeve. Do this towards where the arm is welded to the bush ring. Do not cut into the bush ring. If you can't cut straight/level or do not have a 'feel' for stuff like this don't try it.
    6. When '5' is complete the sleeve can be easily knocked out as the 1mm reduction in circumference (sawcut) has removed all tension.
    7. Gently warm the arm then push the new (cold) bush in with big sockets and a vice. The temperature difference makes it easy.

9 down, 19 to go..

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Dont stress mate. ALOT of the times, that is the only way they can be done. :)