Power stering cap blows off.... | FerrariChat

Power stering cap blows off....

Discussion in '348/355' started by xavior, Nov 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Well I was driving on the whiway and all of a sudden the check engine 1-4 comes on. No slow down light though. I pulled into Mobile1 and popped the back. I noticed a LOT of oil by the power steering cap. When I went to test it and it it literally off. when I tried to tighten this, it was as iff the plastic expanded. So I drove to my dealers shop and they told me that this cap always breaks like this and I should buy a new one.. Do they make a aluminum one? Dan @ Ricambi you can add this to you list. lol

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

If you still have the original type reservoir your guy is correct, the plastic is trash and is not compatible long term with the liquids it is designed to hold.

A new cap will not solve your problem. Get a new updated (ZF) reservoir and a new mounting bracket and replace the entire unit.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  5. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Engine #44529 was the first one to receive the updated PS tank; I have sold a bushel of the new ones, so I assume most/many/lots of older cars have already been updated.

6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Where is the engine # posted??

7. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
  8. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#8 Ricambi America, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Ok I finally found my engine #, it is *45something* (hard to see behind the wires) so it's later than that. So I assume it is ok. ;)

10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Actually... there's an easier way to tell. Just look at the stoopid tank. If the twisty cap (top-most part of the tank) is the size of a silver dollar, you've got a new tank. If it's the diameter of a beer can, you've got the old one.

(Technical side note: my beer can measurement is based on good ol' Budweiser. A Fosters or Boddington is not an accurate tool, nor a tasty beverage)

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    So the silver dollar being smaller? What year of silver dollar?? What part of the beer can top middle or bottom??

How about a dimension instead, daniel ;)

12. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    #12 TopElement, May 6, 2007
    Looks like I'll be placing another order with Ricambi. I lost the steering assistance, and it seems the PS reservoir is to blame. Hoping it's not a hose, as it was fine when driving, and I only realized after being parked for a couple hours that it was really tough to steer coming out of the parking spot. Lost all fluid.
    How difficult is it to change the tank with the engine in the car? It's in a tight spot, I can only imagine the fun and mess that awaits. And anyone have an actual picture of the new bracket? Not sure if it's just the front piece in that diagram, or the part that goes around the back too.
    To make things more interesting, look what I found when I opened the engine lid:
    Unbelievable. Not sure how I missed it when working on the exhaust recently. Seems the shop couldn't get the lid on properly and half-assed it. Will have a chat with them on Monday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Is the hose clamp stock on the reservoir cap
    ??

14. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Nope, it's a special mod that the repair shop decided to install free of charge (or notification.)

15. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    #15 TopElement, May 22, 2007
    Just thought I'd post an update with the new power steering tank/reservoir.
    The new version has a much smaller cap that fits more accurately and is easier to open and close.
    The $60 metal bracket wasn't really necessary. Now I'm not cheap, but I didn't see why I needed a new one considering they looked identical. It took me a while to find the difference between the two pieces of bent sheetmetal, and after removing the original one, realized it simply has two little tabs that fit into the grooves on the side of the original tank and the new one doesn't. They can simply be bent flat to work with the new tank.
    It required about 1 1/4 quarts of power steering fluid to refill.
    New tank:

16. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Thanks for the update. That is the same one Dan sent me, never had a problem since.

17. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Blew my cap off on a track day. High prolonged RPM's blew it off. I used the same trick with fastener till Ricambi hooked me up with the updated replacement. For a Ferrari part I thought it was also reasonable priced. Daniel to the rescue.

18. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Blew mine off at VIR yesterday, too. I'd read that the cap was an issue and before each run, I checked to ensure it was tight; didn't matter, as the last run had fluid over the top of the valley cover. Thank goodness it didn't seep down onto any really hot parts.

Just ordered the update from Foreign Cars Italia, and if you need to do this, I suggest you give them a call for an extraordinarily fair price.

19. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    If you'd have a 348 you wouldn't have to worry about this... :)

Kai

20. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #20 GerryD, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    The old one is approx. 3 3/4 " in diameter and the new one is less than 2". Some of the old ones have a white attachment inside the lid with relief holes in them so they are a little safer.

21. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol!! :p:p

22. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great, one more thing to worry about. ;-)

But, of course, it's much nicer to read about it here, than learn about it on the side of the road. Mine seems to be in great shape (with 1300 miles on it), but I've added it to the list of things to update. In the mean time, I've just removed all traces of power steering fluid from the threads, in an effort to minimize how much of the surface area of cap is exposed to the fluid.

23. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Don't wait, replace it. Not sure just how flammable power steering fluid is, but I do know how hot the engine bay of the 355 can get. Let's see....flammable liquid + wretchedly hot engine parts = tears.

Foriegn Cars Italia offers a very handsome price to FCA members, so there's no excuse not to update the canister.

24. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Hot power steering fluid is incredibly flammable.

The new reservoir is necessary in my opinion, just from a safety standpoint.

As a matter of course, I use Redline PS fluid. It is less sensitive to heat, and if things go bad, it can lubricate the PS pump until you fix whatever happened.

Jay

25. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul