348/355 Spider Tops Cleaned/Sealed w/BMW Cleaner & BMW Repellent | FerrariChat

348/355 Spider Tops Cleaned/Sealed w/BMW Cleaner & BMW Repellent

Discussion in '348/355' started by No Doubt, Dec 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #1 No Doubt, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A couple of 348 and 355 Brothers have either recommended or asked about BMW's soft-top cleaner and soft-top repellent products for use on our tops.

Since I had already purchased these supplies, I volunteered to be the guinea pig (a popular pasttime for me as I'm also the aftermarket waterpump test mule as well as the Fire Foe automatic fire extinguisher tester).

First, the "Before" pictures of my 348 Spider as well as pictures of the supplies and of the mixing process.

"Process" you say?!

Well, there isn't too much to mixing up the soft-top repellent, but the BMW directions are specific to two decimal places!

First you clean with the soft-top cleaner. Then...

"Dissolve the contents of the bottle in 84.54 fl oz of water and apply it generously with a sponge. Remove excessive moisture with a sponge, otherwise stains may form. Apply the repellent int he shade, allow to dry in the sun."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #2 No Doubt, Dec 7, 2006
    To prep my car for washing I bought a $2.39 vinyl shower curtain and used it to cover the engine compartment. In the first picture you can see my automatic fire extinguisher above the motor. In the second picture the wash cover is installed.

You spray on the BMW soft-top cleaner damply in the shade, let the product sit briefly to take effect, then rub the cleaner into the soft-top with a sponge.

Next, you wash the cleaner off using only water...careful to wash any cleaner off of your paint immediately.

You then apply the repellent/sealer while the soft-top is clean and still moist.

3. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #3 No Doubt, Dec 7, 2006
  4. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #4 No Doubt, Dec 7, 2006
  5. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #5 No Doubt, Dec 7, 2006
  6. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    LOL, nice job! I cannot really tell the difference, but maybe the after picture looks a bit darker. In real life, I could tell the dif on my car, so I am a believer. You forgot about the part where u use painter's masking tape to pull all the lint and cat fur from your dry top. Oh wait, that was me. Damned furry creatures!

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Pictures never realy do it justice ever, but if you say that it an improvment then as a fellow 348/355 brother then we know you are telling us all that its RECOMENDED!!!!!:D

8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #8 No Doubt, Dec 7, 2006

Here's one more shot of her today in the Sun after the treatment.

I think that these BMW products are fine to use, and I'm looking forward to testing the repellent...however, the re-dye product that you got from Eurospares would seem to me to offer the superior black look (in an easier application process).

How does that re-dye product do as far as water repelling goes?

If we're going to recommend something for the Brotherhood, then it should be the best item/process whether I tested it or you tested it.

So if your re-dye has good water repellent characteristics, then I'd say go with that product over the BMW products that I used here. Otherwise, go with the BMW products (though more time consuming).

Certainly both products seem to work adequately, so no harm, no foul if a man went with either, though.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nicely done.

I think I may try the shower curtain technique on my 328 engine bay next time I wash.

10. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

I highly recommend using the shower curtain, especially for a 308 (and for your 328 if you've got similar "open" exposed electrical connections ala the one Euro 308 that I've worked on for a friend).

Not a drop of water got anywhere near my engine or electronics. It's just two bucks, and that shower curtain will last some fair amount of time I'd wager, too.

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #11 No Doubt, Dec 7, 2006
  12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Was just thinking how handy "BMW Repellent" would be here in San Diego. Those cars are everywhere...

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What is the automatic fire extinguisher?

14. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    It's extraordinarily clever. It's a Fire Foe unit that is essentially a PVC tube filled with pressurized envirogel fire retardent. A rapid, high rise in ambient temperature will melt the PVC tube, allowing the pressurized fire retardent to spew all over the offending heat source (which tends to be conveniently near the direction that melted that part of the PVC tube).

I've had mine installed for half a year or more...driving in bumper to bumper traffic on 101 degree F days as well as driving in no traffic on a 37 degree day, no false discharges whasoever.

Anyway, if I'm knocked unconscious in a crash, or if I'm in a crash that jams my seat belt, I don't have to fool with pulling a fire extinguisher cable or hope that my electric wires to an electric-discharge extinguisher haven't been melted...fire causes the Fire Foe to discharge.

It's cheap because it is a one-time use device...you can't recharge it after a fire. I can live with that, though. It's also approved for aircraft, now (I need to mount one in my Mooney...I've already got it in my 348 and in a sailboat).

I paid about $130 each for mine at West Marine (which has a store in just about every town that sells Ferraris): http://www.interlinksolutions.com/firefoe.htm
    http://www.westmarine.com/
    (it's not on the West Marine web site so you'll have to special order it if you go through them)

15. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #15 No Doubt, Dec 7, 2006
  16. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  17. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yea, tell me about that system dude, i have been looking for imfo to buy one in the UK After a search i notice that there is only you that knows about them on this mans forum;) How do you find them? Do they have to be changed every year or so? I would realy like a couple of them:)

18. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

They claim a 10 year life span. They're just an inexpensive way to have a basic level of automatic fire protection. For not much more money you could buy a Stinger or other more traditional fire retardation system, if you wanted to upgrade...but having something strikes me as considerably better than nothing, and you can hardly go wrong for 65 Pounds cost.

I paid about $130 each for mine at West Marine (which has a store in just about every town that sells Ferraris):
    http://www.westmarine.com/
    (it's not on the West Marine web site so you'll have to special order it if you go through them)

This site sells them mail order:
    http://www.interlinksolutions.com/firefoe.htm

19. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Thanks for that mate, i already have a plumbed in system But i figure that having two more in there will do more good than not, so i will deffo be getting a pair;)

20. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Just as a friendly follow-up on the BMW sealer, please note that my hands went from soft/white to rough/beet-red overnight after applying the cleaner/repellent.

Best to use medical gloves in the future, Brothers. My loss can be your warning.

Also, the top now looks brand new. The full change took a day.

21. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Looks great, so you went from a dull finish to a deeper, black finish? Would that be how you characterize it? Clearly some of your later photos, even in full sun show a darker uniform top.

22. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Right. You could tell that the top was darker as soon as the repellent was sponged on.

After a full day of sitting, the top now looks brand new. It looks as though I bought a new canvas top from a Ferrari dealer and installed it overnight.

And it's not just that the color went from light charcoal to dark black, but also that the texture appears sharp rather than blurred, now.

If I wanted to sell a convertible (I don't), then I'd apply these products first.

23. kuwait355

kuwait355 Karting

Jul 9, 2006
    Kuwait
    This post is extremely helpful ! I was able to locate the BMW products online. Any idea as to what solution best cleans the plastic rear window on the roof ?

24. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Cleaning wax.

25. Brocco

Brocco Rookie

Jul 23, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Darien Brocco
    ^hilarious!

Wanted to add a couple steps for extreme fondlers. Less overall mess though, and 0 water use. Full disclosure i used "303 Multisurface" to clean and then BMW sealer to seal.

In shade:

1. Vacuum loose dirt
    2. Lint roll remaining bits with lint roller
    3. Tape/plastic/towel etc. around top

Now in 1/4 sections:
    4. Work cleaner into top with a SOFT brush (i.e. for fingernails)
    5. Wipe down with damp "The Absorber" drying thing.

Again in 1/4 sections: (rubber gloves good here)
    6. Apply sealer in small circles with non-disintegrating foam pad (i.e. for wax)
    7. ***Dab up any 'puddles' AS YOU GO with Absorber*** - or product could stain. Should be a nice uniform black look at this point.
    8. Dry in sun

Totally worth it. Looks brand new. Even slightly quiets the cabin i think!

Forza,

Darien