Process for Replacing 355 AC Control Panel Laminated Surface | FerrariChat

Process for Replacing 355 AC Control Panel Laminated Surface

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dr Dave, Dec 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Karting

Dec 11, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave Kirk
    #1 Dr Dave, Dec 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently went through the process of replacing the surface of the A/C Control panel. Not too surprising that the old surface was bubbled / rippled, areas that weren't supposed to be translucent were now translucent, and all the knobs were so sticky that they barely turned and often were completely stuck.

I thought it might be useful to document the process. It was fairly lengthy (about 4 hours), but if I had had detailed instructions it probably could have done it in under 2 hours. So, here is a 'stab' at those detailed instructions - perhaps it will help someone down the line.

1. Turn the battery off (or disconnect) - always just to be safe.
    2. Remove the ashtray unit (one screw)
    3. Slide A/C panel out and disconnect the one wiring harness (see Picture #0 - the nice bubbled sticky control unit!)
    4. Remove the control unit (white) from the control plate (black) (See Picture #1) by disconnecting the 4 screws (see Picture #2, Item #1)
    5. Separate the black component from the white component
    NOTE: Do this carefully as in my case the small light that extends into the “Recirculate Button” was stuck. In the end, I had to sacrifice the wire to this light to get the two pieces apart (see Picture #3).
    6. Put white unit aside (clean as desired – my unit looked like it had 8 oz of soda spilled in it)
    7. Remove the metal clip (see Picture #2, Item #2) from the bottom of the knobs / dials
    NOTE: This was a bit tricky as they are pretty tight and you don’t want to break the 10 year old plastic on the knobs.
    8. After the metal clips are removed, push the black plastic ‘lipped’ legs of the knobs inward and downward so that you can push the knob out the other side.
    9. The two buttons can be removed by pushing on the gray area of the connector (see Picture #2, Item #3).
    NOTE: There are two spring clips (very small) on the sides of the gray connector that should be pressed inward during, or before, this process.
    10. Once all the buttons and knobs have been removed from the cover, now use the tools shown (see Picture #2 Item #4), or similar exacto tool, to slice the plastic laminate cover on the control panel.
    11. Use this slice to start removing the covering (very thin covering!) from the surface of the control panel (see Picture #4)
    NOTE: The covering also extends over the sides and into the wells of the knobs and button areas. I removed all of it – top surface and sides.
    12. Once all of the laminate has been removed (see Picture #4), continue using the tool to remove the ‘junk’ under the laminate – some areas are worse than others (see Picture #5).
    13. Once all the laminate and associated ‘junk’ has been removed with the tool, I soaked it in hot water to clean up the rest of the surface (see Picture #6).
    14. You will be left with a clear translucent plastic surface (see Picture # 7).
    15. Use your favorite dissolving / cleaning agent (I used Spray Nine) to clean the knobs and the associated areas on the main unit around the knobs (my were REALLY disastrous with gunk as you can see in Pictures #5 and #8)
    16. Install the replacement laminate (http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_736&products_id=261153) following guidelines provided by Daniel that recommend using soapy water to keep the new laminate from sticking TOO fast – this allows a few minutes of mobility to get it in the right position.
    17. Re-install the knobs and buttons (see Picture #9).
    18. Re-install the A/C Control Unit and Ashtray in center console.
    18. Enjoy the end results !!! and be glad you pay attention to detail.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    looks excellent !

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Excellent write up! Did you dab a little sharpie pen on the tip of the bulbs to diffuse the light and prevent "hot spots", or was that not needed on yours?

It looks fantastic!!!

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Awesome write up!!!!!!!!!

5. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Karting

Dec 11, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave Kirk
    Daniel did suggest that, and as of now I have not done that yet simply because I did this work while away from home (brought tools and parts with me) and did not have access to a pen. My plan when I get home is to do that - especially since your questions supports that others have seen this problem, so I might as well get rid of the problem in advance. Since I have not re-installed it, I don't know if it will be an issue, but why run the risk of having to take it all back apart.

Thanks for the reply and comments. I should probably have added that to my instructions... I'll see if there's a way to go back and edit the posting (I'm new to this chat group) so I haven't yet edited any existing posts.

6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Great write up!! Another one for the printed archives!!! :D

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Great write up dude;) Thanks for that.

8. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Excellent job! Thanks for taking the time to post all of that, it will be very helpful indeed to many 355 owners out there.

9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great write up. :)

10. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T
    Great writeup......Will have to do that as one of my winter projects!

11. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    The updated cover is definately an upgrade fro the original one. Great work and writeup.

12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Very Nice.

13. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Karting

Dec 11, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave Kirk
    BTW, I did go back (once I got home!) and use the marker to diffuse the light before re-installing. I completed the re-install yesterday and it illuminated perfectly last night.

I do, however, have to look into replacing the light for the re-circulate button that got damaged in the process... not to sure where to begin looking for that kind of part since it's soldered onto the circuit board of the control unit.

14. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Just a brief follow up to Dr. Dave's excellent post...

I figured I would try to save some time and aggravation. Instead of taking the assembly apart, I did everything in-situ. First cut away the overlay with a razor blade; that was easy, once you can cut a slice I was able to grab it and peel the whole thing off.

For the sticky mess on the knobs I'm using Easy Off oven cleaner, I found it works the best. Spray Nine also worked, but not as well I thought. And Goo Be Gone didn't touch the stuff! I alternated between spraying on just a little so as not to get much behind the knobs (all still assembled), and applying with a Q-tip. Maybe 6 iterations of spray on, wipe off (and some scrape with a fake credit card). Also cleaned the clear plastic flat piece, that was easy. Now just need to order Daniel's overlay!

15. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Karting

Dec 11, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave Kirk
    If you can do it this way, it's a great shortcut. I'd just be very careful about getting any of the cleaners down into the circuitry. In my case, the gunk around the knobs was too significant to clean without great amounts of liquid. :(

16. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    My new AC plate from Daniel should arrive tomorrow..in the meantime I have cleaned up the base, the ashtray etc in prep for when it comes and I do final finish.

What bulbs are you referring to? The three white ones or the two green LED (?) lights for the STOP and RECIRC switches; or both? Just a small dab of a Sharpie? What does this do, and was there a problem before? I thought my dials looked OK but is there a heat problem with the new overlay?...

Sorry to be so wordy but I have everything apart ready to go.

Thanks for comments..

Cheers..

Chris

17. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    What is this sharpie biz??? I changed mine out and am very happy with the results !!! Thanks Ricambi :D!!!

18. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #18 285ferrari, Jun 17, 2008
  19. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #19 gothspeed, Jun 18, 2008
    Great work Robbie :) ............. your 'before and after' shots remind me of something very similar.........

:D

20. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    that is funny!

21. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just did the take-off/cleaning last night, waiting for replacement overlay from Daniel.

Tell me more about the Sharpie on the lights trick, is it necessary?

22. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #22 gothspeed, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
    When I took my panel apart and did my overlay, my bulbs had a tiny green rubber sleeve over them. I think this mellows out the light.

23. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes..

24. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, I see those, they are the push button switch LEDs I'm speaking of the three white LEDs for the rest of the panel

Are those too bright? I got the overlay today, (Thanks Daniel) and am ready to assemble but I only want to do it once so I would appreciate any opinions based on experience.

Thanks, Dave

25. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey Daniel have you given any thought to a overlay for the shift/switch panel (65366800 ) that would match the texture of the HVAC panel overlay, just a rectangle with cutouts?
    I don't mean covering the entire panel, just the flat bottom portion, cutout for four push buttons, and the shifter housing