How to change 308 fuel injectors | FerrariChat

How to change 308 fuel injectors

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mg54, Dec 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mg54

mg54 Rookie

Jan 12, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Michael Gardner
    Are there any tricks to changing 308 fuel injectors? Could someone give me the step by step? Thanks

Mike

2. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I'd love to know, too.....anyone?

3. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Me too, I've just received the injectors from Bosch, together with the thermo time switch. However, the o-rings didn't come with the injectors, and I'd like to confirm the correct Bosch part number for a 308/328

Rui

4. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    The injectors are easy to R&R. They are held in only by the rubber O-rings.

Unscrew the fuel lines and grab them--although they are hard to "grab" they just pull out.
    A friend made me a nice little "T" handled device that threads on the back of the injector. It is about 3" long and it worked great to pull them out. You could probably get by with making something out of A 1/4" pipe threaded fitting (it will loosely thread on to the injectors). The steel injectors are not really worth keeping so you could just grab them with a plier too.
    I have a couple of the fittings; if you email me I'll send you one [email protected].
    The O-rings are common to a lot of CIS FI cars including VW, BMW, and MBZ. I understand there is a better green one, but it is slightly larger and therefore much harder to get in. Do not lube them with silicone spray--silicone will damage the O2 sensor; you can use just a little oil.
    The injector fits into a plastic insulator that is held into the manifold with a snap ring and another, larger O-ring. If you were feeling really ambitious you could change these O-rings too, but most people don't.

The new ones are brass and the PN is 0 437 502 047

Mark

5. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    mark 328, you make me proud to be a FChatter! Great advice.

-rick

6. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Thanks, Mark. That is good advice. It is that larger o-ring that I'm looking for. Later today I'm going to Bosch and see waht they came up with. If it's not the right one I'll be looking for the correct Bosch reference.~
    About the fittings for the injectors, I'll try to find one locally. If I can't get one I'll ask you for one, thanks !
    The PN for the injectors is the one I've got.

Rui

7. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    #7 rolindsay, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Rui, remember to take lots of pictures!

And BTW, here is a schematic I drew to use a pair of relays to carry the window motor current rather than putting full current through the window switches. When I opened my failed switch the contacts were burned beyond operation. As the window friction increased the load on the circuit went up - as expected. I have three new switches and I don't intend to fry them. :)
    Merry Christmas!
    -rick, and family!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    I've got the green ones from Bosch (3 430 210 606) and you are right, they are hard to get in!
    However, the larger o-ring is not available from Bosch or Ferrari. Would you have any source for that ?

Thanks

Rui

9. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Thanks, Rick ! Excelent idea. I will do that when I get to the doors :)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !

Rui

10. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I'm sorry, I'm missing something here....if the larger O-ring is harder to install, then WHY??? What's the benefit to a larger ring, that doesn't fit properly, than a smaller O-ring that does fit properly???

11. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My "secret" to installing tight rubber hoses is I boil the end for a minute or so. They then will slide on a metal hose end easily with no lubricant needed. Would that be okay for the O rings as well?

Ken

12. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    The green O-rings are suppossed to be better material, but I don't know if they are a different size or if they are just a harder material.

Heating the O-ring in hot water would probably help, but there are two steps; first you have to put the O-ring on the injector then put the injector with the O-ring into the manifold.

The black O-rings "pop" in pretty easily with a little oil... I would try to find them.

Mark

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    okay now you guys have lost me. the CIS injectors don't use std. 'O' rings but a rubber seal that fills the 'cap' that threads into the manifold. i used the mercedes 450 ones but had to shave the OD down a bit. to remove you can either unthread the entire assymbly and dissasymble the injector and seal or pull out the injector and use a allen wrench to remove the rest.

this would be for the CIS injectors, not the newer bosch pulsed motronic, those use 'O' rings.

14. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #15 RGigante, Dec 30, 2006
    I've removed the injectors on cylinders 1 and 4 so that I would know what to expect.

Here are my comments and questions:

- I've disconnected both injectors and no gas came out. I mean not a single drop! I understand that could mean leaking injectors, bad accumulator or valve on the fuel pump, right ? The car is standing for a week

- you really need to pull hard to get them out !!!

- the old injectors are probably original,they are the steel ones and very oily (see picture). Is this normal or could it mean trouble??

- how on earth do I remove the seal that stays in the manifold? (see picture). There is some play with the injector in place, so I guess I'd better get new ones

- the seal is NLA from Ferrari, but I believe it is the same as in the Mercedes 450 SEL (see link http://www.mercedes-benz-parts-direct.com/item-image.asp?imageUrl=http://12.153.160.115/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/imc/images/full/1160780873MY.jpg )

- The spacers I need to be careful with are under the plenum or under the intake? I will probably remove both together, if possible. That would make cleaning everything much easier, as well as replacing the hoses and thermo time switch

And that's about it for today :)

Rui
    88' 328 GTS - under surgery

15. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #16 RGigante, Jan 15, 2007
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. It's easy to remove them with the tool suggested. Here's a picture with the tool and parts necessary. You can see the old and new injector, o-rings, tool and part number.

Rui