Milestone Motorcycles | FerrariChat

Milestone Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Dec 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm thinking about getting back into collecting motorcycles. Not only are they are lot cheaper than cars, but motorcycles were my first love. I started riding when I was 14 (40 years ago!) and didn't have a POS car until I was 20.

The last time I went down this road, I focused on 1970 because this was the year that I graduated from high school. However, I'm thinking that it makes more sense to focus on Milestone Motorcycles. That is, those motorcycles that shook our world when they came out.

So I have started the list below off the top of my head and by doing some googling. I'd really appreciate knowing which bikes you think should be added to the list and which ones dropped.

I'm a bit weak on motocross bikes because, well, after 1970 I kinda got into other things...

Your comments?

1965 Honda S90 - 90 cc 1 cylinder 4 stroke

1965 CB450 - The Black Bomber - Double Overhead cams 10k rpm red line

1965 Suzuki X6 Hustler - 250 cc 2 cylinder 2 stroke

1967 Bultaco Pursang - Probably one of sexist looking dirt bikes ever

1968 Yamaha DT-1 - 250 cc 1 cylinder 2 stroke - first dual purpose bike

1969 Suzuki T 500 Titian - 500 cc 2 cylinder 2 stroke

1969 Kawasaki H1 - 750 cc 3 cylinder 2 stroke

1969 Honda CB 750KO - 750 cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke

1970 Triumph Bonneville - 650 cc 2 cylinder 4 stroke (actually a capstone mode - this was the end of the road for the Britsl)

1971 Harley Davidson Super Glide - 1200 cc factory chopper

1973 Kawasaki Z1 - 900 cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke

1973 Yamaha RD350 - 2 cylinder 2 stroke rocket

1973 Elsinore - 250 cc 1 cylinder 2 stroke dirt bike

1973 BMW R90S - 900 cc 2 cylinder 4 stroke - the German learn to rock n’ roll

1975 Honda Gold Wing - 1000 cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke Japanese HOG

1980 Harley Davidson Sturgis - Back from the dead

1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor - 750 cc V-4 4 stroke - perhaps the 1st crotch rocket

1984 Kawasaki Ninja - 900 cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke

1984 RZ350 - 350 cc V-4 stroke - get the RZ500 if you can, even though it ain’t legal in the US

1985 Suzuki GSX-R - 750 cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke

1987 Yamaha FZR1000 - 1000 cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke - bigger is better

1990 Honda VFR750F - 750 cc V-4 4 stroke - the 1st civilized crotch rocket

1995 Ducati 916 - Enuf said

1998 Harley Davidson Dyna - After all these years, the motor company finally figures out how to rubber mount an engine. Trust me on this one. Without rubber mounting, no one would be riding these bikes today.

Dale

2. QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    WA, USA
    Full Name:
    Steven Patch
    Surprisingly, I agree with you on almost every single one of your picks. My ideal big 'milestone' bikes are all in there, the CB450, H1, Z1, Bonnie, and so on. Some of them I don't know anything about, so I can't comment on them. One addition I would make would be the Honda RC30.

3. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Dale,

You know you are in my element here.

You have to add a BSA 441 Victor

A Triumph twin (Oops, I missed seeing that you included one, the best one)

The (I believe) 1969 Suzuki TM 400 Orange tank. It was a monster to ride but the torque could restart the earth to rotating if it came to a stop. John Desoto rode one for the factory------almost wiped him out.

A Penton enduro with the Sachs engine.

CZ 250 from 1975 (Falta Edition) . Not the orange/yellow tank, the aluminum tank with white fenders and red frame.

Maico from the same time period.

Try to find a Montessa 250 MX. Beautiful bike from that period that never developed much of a following.

250 or 400 Husqvarna MX bike from the early 70's like (sp?) Heiki Mikkola rode.

In 1971 0r 72 Kawasaki came with the KX250 that I rode for them. It was their first real excursion into serious MX and was a tractor of an engine. Suspension lacked a little since it was a laydown forward mounted rear shock and not the monoshock like the Yamaha YZ250. BTW, you need to add the silver tank YZ 250 also. It started the monoshock revolution in the MX world.

1972 DKW with Earles cantilever front suspension.

1954 Triumph 350 TWN. Cool upswept exhaust twin

1974 Ossa 250 trials bike--the head of the class at the time

Hodaka Bullfrog trials bike

I can go on if you like but I think that if you spend the time looking for any of these it will keep you tied up for some time. I would love to have my old KX 250 back. I am sorry I turned it back into Kawa after I quit racing.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    How about a Britten?

(True, one would not be cheap, but I don't recall hearing that as a criteria).

5. Fred00

Fred00 Rookie

May 19, 2006
    I have two more recent bikes to suggest:

1992 Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade

1998 Yamaha YZF-R1

Both bikes were sportbike milestones when they were presented.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    You are missing 3 important bikes which are modern day classics....(which I have in my collection)

Honda RC 30

Honda RC 45

Honda RC 51

All championship winners, and on the cutting edge of technology and performnace for their time!

8. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    MV Agusta F4 750 Serie Oro. 'nuff said.

9. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Some bikes that were milestones:

Yammy FJ1100/FJ1200
    V-Max
    Suzuki Katana
    Harley K-model - Sportster
    Vincent Black Shadow
    Buell RR1000
    Britten
    Norton Rotary F1
    TZ750
    Moto Guzzi V8
    Honda 250 I6
    Ducati 900SS
    BMW R69S
    Suzuki Hayabusa

(in addition to lots of the bikes you've already listed)

10. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    #10 starboy444, Dec 20, 2006
  11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Let me clarify what I'm calling a milestone motorcycle. It is a production bike that when it came out, everybody had to have. These bikes literally changed the face of motorcycling.

From my list, the best examples are:

1965 Honda S90
    1968 Yamaha DT-1
    1969 Kawasaki H1
    1969 Honda CB 750KO
    1971 Harley Davidson Super Glide
    1973 Kawasaki Z1
    1975 Honda Gold Wing
    1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor
    1995 Ducati 916
    1998 Harley Davidson Dyna

Each one of these bikes changed our world. Notice that they are not rare one-off specials. They are instead bikes that most of us lusted after (in addition to other things).

Dale

I agree with these. BTW, I already have a Super Rat.

Where any Brittens ever sold as street bikes? I'm gonna shy away from non-production race bikes. I can't compete with Barber. :)

Was the Fireblade ever imported into the US? But keep em coming. I'm really weak on my sportbike knowledge.

Ha! I didn't think they allowed ducks in the redneck Rivera?

Again, I sorta got out of bikes during the 80s and 90s, so I'm weak on the sport bikes. If you had to pick one, which one?

Note that I'm not looking for rarity. I'm looking for bikes that changed our world.

I'm gonna stay away from the 50s and older bikes. Thus, the Vincent and the H-D K is out.

I thought about the V-Max. But it had the same engine as the Interceptor, yes? Just different excution. Funny, Yamaha didn't list the Max as one of its key bikes.

Please tell me some more about these bikes:

Yammy FJ1100/FJ1200
    Suzuki Katana
    Buell RR1000

I agree on these:

Ducati 900SS
    BMW R69S
    Suzuki Hayabusa

12. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    I agree with most of these bikes. Some I don't even know what they are.

I'm suprised no one mentioned the 1934 Indian scout.

How about:

Norton Commando
    BSA Rocket 3

How about the Yamaha 1100 GTS with that funky front end?

I totally agree with:

ZX900 Ninja
    GSX-R 750
    Ducati 900SS / 916
    Goldwing
    Harley Dyna series
    BMW R69S or R75
    Moto Guzzi V8

13. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    MV Agusta ORO did change the world, it was the re-incarnation of a famous marque, and a cutting edge motorcycle built from solid magnesium and carbon fibre. Although the performance was not top, the design and "aura" of the bike made it unbelievably special to this day.

It is also one of the few motorcycles to be featured in the New York City Guggenheim museum of art !

As for the HRC Hondas, all 3 are collectible. The RC30 being the first motorbike with a single-sided swimgarm, winning many SBK championships. Honda RC45, continuing this and the RC51 being the first 2 cylinder Honda for racing.

The first two are quite rare, a good RC30 can fetch 18-25k $, and an RC45 40-50k $. The MV ORO is about 70-80k $.

14. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Nope. One is a Honda, the other is a Yamaha.
    When the V-max came out it was THE muscle bike to have. It had more HP than anything on the market. It started the muscle cruiser market. Interceptor was a sport bike, V-Max was a sport/muscle cruiser.

Suzuki Katana - broke the mold of sportbike design. There was NOTHING like it at at the time. They made the same design for 20 years in one guise or another.
    http://www.katanacentral.co.uk/history/katanatimeline.asp

Yammy FJ1100/1200 - The Velvet Hammer. I've got a 1986 1200 in my garage right now. The original Hayabusa. Long, low, powerfull, smooth, sport touring bike. Could stomp most sportbikes avail at the time, and be derned comfortable doing it. Didnt handle ALL that well, but good enough (again, better than some of the front line superbikes). Was THE big weapon to have when it came out (again, think Hayabusa).

Buell RR1000 - original Buell. One of, if not THE most aerodynamically slippery motorcycles ever made. Buell's first public offering. Only 50 made. Changed some thinking as to what could be done with a Harley engine. One of the bikes has since been clocked at over 200mph at Bonneville. Gave Buell a foothold in the market. Bikes produced out of a garage, by hand, on very limited budget by very dedicated folks.
    http://www.teamelves.com/bike/history.html

15. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Ok I'll take the bait. I'm going to try keep it to milestone bikes.

1. Early harley v-twin. ( as early as can be afforded)
    2. SS100 ( Lawrance of Arabia baby)
    3. Harley knucklehead. (overhead valve and durable set the theme for
    the next 60 years.)
    4. Vincent Black Shadow ( the first superbike)
    4. Norton Manx (how many world champs started on this)
    5. Triumph Bonnivelle (Started the brit cafe racer scene)
    6. Honda 750 ( the bike that Launched the Japanese/ killed the BRITS)
    7. Mv/ Magne (just sooo beautiful)
    8. Ducati 900SS ( THE Italian cafe racer)
    9. honda CBX ( techinical tour-de-force, what a sound)
    10. GSXR Limited (Full street racer. dry clutch close ratio ect)
    11. RC 30 ( one of the best street bikes ever produced)
    12. Ducati851/888 (Started the Ducati Dominance)
    13. Ducati 916 ( do I have to say)
    14. Bimota- almost any model- ( because the parts and build quality make
    even a Ducati look like it was made by monkeys)

There are more, but I figure it's a good start.

Darrell.

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Questions for you historians:

1. What bike (and year) was the first Japanese sport bike? You know, something other than a UJM. I'm thinking the 1983 Honda Interceptor. Thoughts?

2. What bike was the first or typifies the UJM genera? Personally, I think these are ulgy bikes but what do I know?

3. What Harley was the first rubber mounted Dyna?

4. And what about BMW? Is the R90S it, or do the flying bricks deserve a mention?

Dale

17. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

Dale,
    For me, I would think that the first UJM and the first Japanese sport bike is actually one in the same. The 69' Honda CB 750. A true milestone bike. The definitive UJM I believe, is the KZ900. This bike rewrote the record books in the 70's. The 83 inteceptor is once again another step in the evolution of the sport bike. But if I were to pick a bike from that era (early 80's) it might be the Katana 1000. This bike has almost a cult following now.
    I'm sorry but I don't know the first year of the dyna.
    As far as the BMW's are concerned, that company has always played on the very conservative side of the fence concerning engineering. They make good products, but I would be hard pressed to find a bike that stands out as an engineering milestone for the industry.

Darrell.

18. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Agree with most of the pics...

Must have a Z-1 in there, and the 98 Dyna is a no-brainer. The Norton rotary IMO is a milestone bike. I also think the CB750 and the Honda Dream were milestone bikes. The VMax probably was too. In 1985, it was out of this world and remains virtually unchanged for 22 years - amazing.

For more recent bikes, *definitely* the 92 CBR900. They call it the fireblade in Europe, we just call it the 900RR. The 1998 R1 is a no-brainer. It was the first shot in the current war of bikes that brought us everything we have now. Sportbikes were progressing slowly until Yamaha started that little war.

I would go out on a limb and also add a Suzuki Hayabusa. In 1999 when it came out, it was out of this world. ~200mph, 1/4 in the 9's, all from a bike that was heavy and fat when everyone else was going towards smaller and lighter.

I would also add a HD V-Rod. Totally new era for the motor company and a vast departure from what they did previously. It was a have-to-have when it came out, sold for sometimes double sticker. The Honda VTX and Yamaha Warrior were the first real power cruiser V-twins, but the VTX was more a power cruiser IMO.

19. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    #19 whart, Dec 20, 2006
    Brough 100. Pic Below. And what about that Indian 4- wasn't it a Henderson? (The Barber Museum in Birmingham, Ala. gets the highest recommendation:- you'll see virtually every bike mentioned here, and more, along with amazing restoration shops and a world class track, that if planned right, can be available for your use). enjoy~
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #20 Llenroc, Dec 20, 2006
    Herr Prof., You need to add one of these to your list, 1 of 50 SPO1 '02 Agusta. Gorgeous bike, sounds like a Ferrari too. Regards, Vern

21. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Great bikes. Here're a few that dawned on me ...

Vincent Black Shadow

Munch Mammoth 4

Ducati 888 Raymond Roche

Kawasaki 750 H2

Kawasaki Z1

Kawasaki Z1R TC

Hodaka 100 Super Rat

Bultaco 125 Sherpa S

Bultaco 250 Pursang (Box Fender)

Monark 125

'74 CR125M Elsinore

'74 Kawasaki KX125 (rotary valve)

Montesa 250 VR (Vehkonen Replica)

Husky 400 Cross

Maico 501

22. sgcullen

sgcullen Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Cullen
    #22 sgcullen, Dec 20, 2006
    You HAVE to put MV Agusta on the list. This isn't a rarity comment, this is a comment about the sexiest, hottest production cycle ever made (with *possibly* the Ducati 916 sharing the honor...funny they have the same designer in Massimo Tamburini too). I am a bit partial to my F4 1000 Corse (#1 of 300) but I would say that the MV Agusta 750 earns a spot on the list. It was the featured cycle at The Art of the Motorcycle exhibit in Las Vegas for years (the first bike you saw when you walked in). It would simply be wrong to exclude the Ferrari of motorcycles.

23. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    I wouldnt put the current MV's on the list of milestones. They ARE dead sexy, and very competent bikes.. .but have had no real effect on the motorcycling world as a whole.

other bikes mentioned changed the way people view bikes.

first year japanese sport bike? thats a hard one. One is tempted to say the Interceptor because it LOOKS the most like modern sportbikes. But you have to look back and see how the bikes were marketed/used when they came out. at that point I would say the CB750K0 or the Z1 would fall into the first japanese sportbike role.

the typical UJM? Perhaps a modern bike? ZRX1200? I like the arguement of the CB750 or Z1 as the UJM. thats what everyone pictures when you say UJM.... un-faired, upright seating position, bench seat, high bars, twin rear shocks.

24. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Hi Dale -

Super Rat ! ! We used to have several of them many years ago when racing motocross. I used to ride a 100 cc very heavily ported Hodaka while John rode the Super Rats. Sill have an old Yamaha 100 cc bike that has seen many enduros including a couple 24 hour ones; yellow tank Penton 250; first of the steel tank Penton 125's; plus a stable of our son's trials bikes -those are definitely different to ride - coolest is the Sherpa T. One of the oldies that was so neat ultimately was stolen from our son's apartment in Colorado Springs - it was a mini Indian - we got it for him when he was 4 years old - came with training wheels - I could actually ride it. True classic !

This thread is definitely a trip back in time to 1970 and subsequent years for me. Every weekend was spent either at a motocross, cross country or enduro if not riding/camping at the Flying P in Weatherford, TX.

Carol

Guess it's time to go watch "On Any Sunday" again . . .with Malcolm Smith, Steve McQueen . . .

25. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Suzuki Hayabusa. It brought main stream publicity and excitement to the superbike/superspeed era, when all the manufacturers were trying to create the ultimate speed machine. Famous for its looks and performance, the GSXR 1300 garnered worldwide attention for its efforts.

The Hayabusa being a big, long, land rocket limited to 193 mph ! Probably the pinnacle in the "extreme machine" category.