Don't people research maintainance costs? | FerrariChat

Don't people research maintainance costs?

Discussion in '360/430' started by mcp, Dec 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mcp

mcp Rookie

Feb 6, 2005
    I was in Las Vegas and sat next to a guy at the blackjack table. When I mentioned that I had seen the Ferrari dealer at the Wynn he said that he owned a F430 but was going to sell it. The reason was it cost too much to maintain.

Now, I've seen several posts on FerrariChat asking about maintainace costs. But still people are shocked when they get their first bill. Before buying a Ferrari I would at least ask someone about this. Was anyone on this board shocked at how much it cost to keep their F-car on the road?

2. azew

azew Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2006
    New York
    I have not been surprised - in fact, costs have been lower than I expected (I try to manage my expectations to avoid surprises generally).

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Methinks he was not telling the truth

It would still be under manufacturer warranty so other than basic servicing what costs should there be other than tires & gas ?

Unless he was a total dingbat who broke it in a non-warranty way.....

Or smashed it in a non-insurance way

4. Blocktrader

Blocktrader Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Mike R.
    I agree. The maintainance costs on a 430 are extremely low. I would have asked him which cost he is referring to.

Does get more pricey if you go to the track though.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Seems to me that he is pulling his dick!! :p
    Sitting at the blackjack table gambling and he is worried that his new Ferrari F430 costs too much to maintain. :rolleyes: Righteo clown! My bet is that he does not own an F430, let alone any Ferrari, but he has heard the typical 'Ferraris cost too much to maintain" crap. Thats why he wants out, because he does not even own a Ferrari. I bet he tells everyone that same story when they mention Ferrari around this guy. Just make himself sound rich. If you know what I mean? Anyone can tell you anything. Seeing is believing. :)

6. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    Ferrari maintenence- my experiences
    Owned a 1996 355 spider for two years (7000 miles) and only had to do oil changes.
    Own a 360 spider 1 3/4 (3800 miles) years and part of the time it was under warranty and no warranty issues and again only oil changes.
    In the 70's I owned a 308 GTS for seven years and 30,000 miles and I don't remember any big repair issues. In 1985 owned a Mondial spider for a couple of years and can't remember any repair issues.
    Maybe I am just lucky, but my Ferraris have been bullet proof.
    Does anybody want to guess what my 430 spider will be like to maintain?
    PRICELESS!!!

7. speedracer1610

speedracer1610 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2006
    nor cal
    Full Name:
    Craig D
    That guy who told you he owned a 430 was playing the wrong game. He should have been playing poker. So he could bluff his way to a win.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree that the guy doesn't own a ferrari. However, when people ask about maintenance costs they generally don't get a clear answer. They also get a lot of 'if you have to ask you can't afford it'.

The costs are much higher than a BMW or Porsche and they vary greatly from car to car. This may be why people don't/can't say. If a person is serious, asks, searches the forum, and works on it they can get an idea; they just have to want that info.

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    maybe he had his wife and car confused ?

10. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A 360 five thousand mile service can run $4,000. During this same period, a Porsche requires oil changes. Some, who buy Ferrari's, can barely afford them. A major service or unusual expense could be a threat to them.

A Ferrari is not a Toyota (good news) - Best

11. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Karting

Nov 4, 2006
    The guy was pulling your leg. I just had the 5000 mile service done at the dealer on my F430 Spider. The cost was $1500. Other [repair] costs are under warranty. What rational person would sell a Ferrari because of a $1500 maintenance charge?

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    To your original question. Yes they do. The typically ask the salesman and you can guess the response. I have delt with innumerable owners at the dealer that were shocked with the disparity between what they were told by the sales person and reality.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A 5K service is more commonly $1k to $1.5K at a dealer. The full on major is often $4k or so.

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have owned a 360 and now a F430. both cars to my surprise have been perfect. The required service charges are a little higher than other sports cars but not that bad for the price of the car.

The new Porsches have a 2 year or 20,000 mile oil change. No such luck with the Ferrari. Oil changes with the Porsche are $350 at dealer ($57 at quickie lube), Lotus & 4000 miles is $500, Ford gt @ 5000 miles is $109 (yep),
    427 1965 Shelby Cobra car about $27 and the ferrari 360 @ 5000mi is $450.

Lee

15. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had an Enzo for awhile. I sold it though because it was too expensive to maintain. I never told you guys?

16. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Enzo's are only expensive to maintain if you drive them. Most people just crash them. :)

17. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    That's it!! I'm selling my Enzo too!! :D

18. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Brian, thanks for adding your input to ensure we add value to the questions instead of wild guesses.

19. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Can you take a late model Porsche or anything similar to quickie/jiffy lube establishments? My friend has a 2000 Passat and they will not even accept that.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Some are not smart enough to know when to say no.

Thats OK. Makes me more money in the end and I don't have to be bothered to do all those oil changes. Just fix the carnage they cause.

21. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I take my Porsche to a Texico quiki lube. They have a mechanic there. it is $57 versus $300-350 at the dealership. Every two years I take it to the dealership so they can do a once over and look at it. My Porsche is a 1999 so it is a little old. my '65 Shelby Cobra goes to the same lube shop.

I would think about Sears also. I would be sure you know the proper oil so they will put that in.

On my Lotus Sport the dealer charges $500 for an oil change. I use a local restoration shop that does engine work. They charge about $110. The Lotus engine is a Toyota. The Toyota dealer did the same to me as your friend and would not touch it.

The Ferrari F430 I take to the dealer, the same for the Ford GT.

My three motorcycles I take to a local motorcycle repair shop. They are MMI graduates with one a past instructor and what they designate as a PhD. The oil changes are under $29 versus $287 at Harley.

I hope that helps!
    Lee

22. Rocman

Rocman Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark K

That is actually a great price on the FGT oil change. The oil itself is that much, unless you go with Mobil One or something.

23. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I paid 370.87 for 5K service at Ferrari of Denver. Ask them what they did to earn 1500. There is not a whole lot to the service.

Dave

24. yellowjacket

yellowjacket Karting

May 19, 2006
    nonya
    Full Name:
    nonya
    Im starting to get the feeling nobody on this great huge site has ever changed their own oil? I dont own an exotic right now but half the fun of getting one for me is going to be getting to work on it!

25. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for explaining it!