Finishing my headlamp change | FerrariChat

Finishing my headlamp change

Discussion in '308/328' started by jonesdds, Jan 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I was getting near completing the rewire and placement of my new headlamps in my 328 when I realized that the attachments provided in the Daniel Stern kit were male, not female like I need to attach to the headlamp bulbs. It is two vertical and one horizontal just like the stock one. I've upgraded to 10 guage wire so I can't just hook into the stock one, that would kind of defeat the purpose of the heavier guage wiring.

I've looked at every Pep boys, Kragens and the like locally with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions for an online company I could get these from. I've emailed D. Stern but haven't got any response so I'm looking elsewhere for the part. Any ideas appreciated.

Jeff

2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Jeff,

Remember I did this a looooooong time ago and my memory on this is very fuzzy... But I think I used one of the male harness connectors to fit in the original female stock connectors. Then, I had clean wires (thin, high-gauge) going to the relays. It's OK that these are light gauge because they're activation wires ONLY. In this way, you don't have to cut or modify any of the stock wiring, you actually reuse the old high/low beam wires (that used to carry all that current for so far, including through the fusebox) and now use them to carry relay activation current only (what, less than than 0.5 amps right). So you only use one of the stock female harness plugs, and put the male up to that. Wrap up and tuck the other one out of the way.

I could be mistaken but I believe I actually ran my own 10-gauge wire with heavy duty female spade connectors directly to the appropiate prongs on the headlight bulbs themselves.

--Mike

3. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would have done the same thing with the male attachment had I realized before cutting and splicing the high/low feeds from one sight. That would have been cleaner and not alter the stock wiring.

As far as connecting to the bulbs themselves, aren't you concerned with moisture with that type of unprotected connection? I can't even find the female attachements anywhere to fit 10 guage wire or that big of a connection.

Jeff

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

What is the primary concern w/r/t moisture?

The plastic three-blade plugs on the existing harnesses aren't exactly vacuum sealed. The female spade connectors I have in mind are fully shielded. You can get them at Radio Shack, the yellow ones are the ones that will accept 10-gauge wiring, you'll need a crimper and then some heat-shrink tubing to finish the job cleanly.

I just did some headlight work on my brother-in-law's volvo, they have an ideal setup where the back of the headlights and bulb access themselves are nicely sealed with twist off plastic covers about 4" in diameter. We don't get that on the 328, although the headlight backs are nicely protected in their little bucket-nook and I don't foresee water splashing around back there.

Can you think of a better alternative for getting power to the headlights? I'm all ears if you can. I would say this is a non-issue however.

5. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I guess your right. With the shrik tubing over the connection, just as well protected. I was just looking for a clean, factory like connection. I don't know why I didn't think of Radio shack in the first place. Thanks

Jeff

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 Mike328, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Correction - I mentioned above I made my own connectors to the actual headlamp.

In fact, my kit came with a nifty spring-loaded, three-female connection assembly that made the wiring very clean.

See attached picture.

Jeff, yours may be different because you're dealing with two bulbs per headlamp, not one. A single, dual-filament bulb has three connectors but not your bulbs so this black plastic connector/harness that I'm talking about no longer makes sense in that situation.

--Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Hey Mike and Jeff,

I just ordered my lights from Dan. Should have them in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the info you guys gave me.:)

Chris

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Which ones did you order Chris?

9. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm curious too, what you ordered Chris.

Mike, I found my connectors, finally, a few weeks after my last post on this thread. They were easy, my only concern is that the strain on the wire connectors on that attachment with the popping up and down will loosen a wire sometime. We'll see what happens.

I wired mine directly to the battery and attached the relays directly above the heater motor.

Jeff

10. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    This is what i got:

2 Headlamps Cibie 7" E-code (European ECE Spec)

4 Osram 85/80w ultra high efficacy bulbs ( 2 extra spares)

1 Relay installation kit

4 Brake light lamps 40% brighter

2 Reversing (backup) lamps 100% brighter

4 Directional rear lamps

4 Directional front lamps

The Cibies were on back order

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Nice choice with the Cibies, Chris. The relay kit will protect your wiring harness with the 85/80w H4s you ordered. Wait to you see the result!

12. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Have fun with the install, Chris!

Jeff

13. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Quite a few of us have done this now so post if you have any questions!

14. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Go to .......Wiring Products .com They've never failed me..ever..bottomless site..leads to more sites..incredibely inexpensive..knowledgeable..nice..fast..I've rewired much of my 1980 400i and have bought many things from them...aircraft quality..let me know how you all make out..these "Ferrari suppliers" drive me stupid when they shroud 12 volts in mystery and secrecey.....12v is 12v on any continent..thanks... Jacques....over.....

15. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Well boys,

I got the package today and everything is in there.

Now the fun part of trying to figure out what everything is. LOL!

Jeff, Mike is there splicing of stock wires? Am i actually putting in "new wire" from light switch to lights?
    The original wires to the headlights, am i using the same ones? Or do i cut the original, the headlight ones, and put other connectors to the new Cibies?

And i guess this is the manual i will be using?

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

16. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Read this thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133828

Some of my answers were in PMs, but basically you do not rewire anything from the headlight switch or fusebox. What WERE the original factory connections to the headlamps that supplied all the current are now simply ACTIVIATION wires for the relays (very low current draw).

One of the connectors (say, the passenger headlight connector) gets tied up. The other plugs in to a male three-pronged plug you should have in your relay kit (this is from memory). These wires go to the relay as activation wires - one for low beam, one for high beam. Each relay gets a ground wire as well as a power wire from battery. You run your own thick gauge wire from the relays to the "pig tail" harness that I took a photograph of in this thread. Each relay has two outputs - one relay for high beams, one for low beams. The ouputs are activated simultaneously. You run one high beam relay output wire to the left pigtail, the other high beam relay output wire to the other light's high beam pigtail connection, and the same for low beam. Somewhere in there you have inline fuses. You mount the relays on a black bar just underneath and to the back of the driver's side headlight bucket. You need to remove old headlights and have the front bonnet up so you have room to work. Fuses go on the power leads from the battery to each relay. You will be splicing the fuses into the wires (I think I may have ended up using my own blade fuse holders, get at Radio Shack). You'll need some wire crimpers (and strippers) for this - get some nice Craftsman Professional stripper and crimper tool from Sears.

Hope this helps get you started.

--Mike

17. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The relay kit had two 10 guage wire blade fuse holders with fuses(20 amps-yellow) I believe. I connected those to the battery then connected 10 guage from there to the relays(I put mine under the driver's side light). Mike is correct, the high and low beam wires on each side(stock ones) I cut and spliced wire from them to the relays(Ok with 14 guage there as they are activation wires-low draw). I grounded the relays directly at the negative battery terminal ground-clean it real good while your there. Then the outputs from the relays to the lamps, high and low beams. I think I got that right! You probably already know this, Chris, but the negative battery disconnect is on the driver's side, a red male/female plug to easily disconnect the battery. Daniel's write up is very good, has almost everything you need. Good luck!

JEff

18. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #18 Pizzaman Chris, Mar 8, 2007
    Thanks Mike.

I read this a few times while i was looking at the parts. Starting to understand some things.:)

Here is a picture of the items i got. Can you tell me what some of the things are?

19. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

Leftmost arrow: These are relay holders. You plug the relay into here. Then, you attach spade-like connectors to your various wires (small activation wires, 10-gauge power leads, ground leads) and bring those connectors up through the relay holders.

Middle arrow: These are "pigtail" connectors. See picture earlier in this thread. These attach to the back of your H4 bulbs once you have installed the bulbs in the lamp housings. Thick high beam power, lower beam power, and ground wires (10 gauge) get put into here. Strip the wires by 1/3 to 1/2in first, of course. Those connectors should be spring-loaded such that you push down the button, insert wire, release button and there is spring force holding the wires in.

Right arrow: Hard to say for sure, but appears to be heavy-duty inline blade-type fuse holders, complete with approx 10 gauge wiring ready for you to splice (use butt connectors + optional solder for best results + heat shrink tubing) into your power leads coming off the battery and to the relays.

Lots and lots of little bits!

Keep askin', more answers as needed.

20. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Mike, you rock!

The "heavy duty wire" i pop the cover and it had 2 female connectors.

Things are slowly coming together. Thanks:)

Hey, I'm only a Pizza guy, so this is "New Territory" for me.:D

21. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #21 Pizzaman Chris, Mar 10, 2007
  22. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Susquehanna MotorSports aka rallylights.com is a better source of connectors than Daniel Stern and Waytek aka waytekwire.com a better source of relays. Customer support from Daniel Stern is zip...I have yet to have an email answered and there is no phone or other contact method.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Connectors.asp shows $5 AMP quality sockets with DIY connectors which will take up to 10 ga wire. Standard source headlight connectors all have pigtails generally 14 ga wire.

You can reuse the original AMP headlight connectors, releasing the the connector by inserting a flat blade tool the size of the small slot on the front of the socket then pulling the connector out the back. You will need to un-crimp the wire from the connector and resolder your new wire...but for $10 (pair) I prefer to keep the 1 foot long harness in tack and start with a new connector.

23. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Only 2 to use, must have accidentally thrown in a third one.

Jeff

24. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #24 Pizzaman Chris, Mar 18, 2007
    Well boys, finished my head lamp upgrade. Took me all Sunday but it's done!

Thanks to Mike and Jeff for the help.:)

The relays, I ended up putting them where that "pull cord" is. You know, the one that's fixed to the body. It had 2 screw so it looked good to me.

Picture 1 relays
    Picture 2 the results :)

25. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In the words of Borat: "Great Success!"

Well done, Chris!

Looks great. Wait till you crank on the high beams as you come home into your neighborhood at night and see the sky light up in front of you!