J6 25K Service | FerrariChat

J6 25K Service

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Jan 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #1 Napolis, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Harmonyautosport

Harmonyautosport Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    Jim,

In the last pictures behind the pump there is a yellow and black pattern, do you know if that is carbon kevlar?

3. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

I beleive that is the first use of Carbon honeycomb kevlar in a race car. It was made by Brunswick Aero Space for Ford at the B1 Bomber plant.

4. Harmonyautosport

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    Thats really amazing, I was suprised to see that on an older race car. Shows that ferrari has allways been ahead of the game.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    J6 is a Ford MK-IV...

When the MK-IV raced the P4 the P4 finished 135 miles behind.

6. Harmonyautosport

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    oops... which do you prefer to drive?

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #7 Napolis, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They're really quite different. The Ford has massive torque. It's roomier and has better ventilation which makes it easier to drive for a long time. It's a high speed cruiser. 223 vs 199 (P4). The P 3/4 is lighter, handles better around curves but is way down on Torque. They're both wonderful cars. On the street the 412P is easier to drive that the P 3/4 as the Carbs vs mech FI are much more street friendly. The Ford is a truck. You could attach a chain to any bolt and lift it off the ground. The P cars are very fragile. Andretti hit the wall at Le Mans in a Mk-IV at 145 mph and walked away. You couldn't do that in a P4. The MK-IV remains the only car made in America to have won Le Mans.

Best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Have you had the chance to drive an original Mk I or II and compare to the Mk IV?

There is a lot of history in that last picture...

9. Harmonyautosport

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    Wow, thank you for sharing.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I drove a MK I a long time ago. Strangely I was reminded of it when I more recently drove a Muria SVJ. It's a more like my Lola T-70 a bit more nimble but less brute power.

11. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    "When the Mk-IV raced the P4 the P4 finished 135 miles behind."

Sorry, JG....there's that mistake again. At LeMans in 1967, the Mk-IV won by 34.4 miles, not by 135 miles.

"Andretti hit the wall at LeMans in a Mk-IV at 145mph and walked away."

OK, OK, OK, I'm being picky, but to quote Mario from an article in Supercar Classics 2/1991, "It was one of the hardest impacts I've ever felt, and I was in a lot of pain; it turned out that I'd broken ribs. McCluskey picked me up from where I was lying down and literally carried me back to the track hospital."

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

I looked at the original timing sheets. The 34.4 miles is correct, the source I was quoting was wrong.

As for Mario. "He scrambled out" (He did then lie down as reported) "the following weekend. There was a USAC stock-car race at Mosport Canada, on Saturday, and a Champ car race at Langhorn the next day,"
    where he finished third behind Ruby, and Al Unser.

"I wasn't hurt that badly, but I was seriously sore for a few weeks."

As an aside:

" Fords racing Bosses had told their drivers that in the event of an accident they should avoid any French doctors and wait for the team's American doctor to arrive. In a virtual 'Keystone Kops' routine, McCluskey threw the ambulance's keys into the woods and carried Mario away from the French medics until Ford's doctor was located."

Best

13. 3406-kris

3406-kris Rookie

Sep 7, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Kris Kincaid
    The J cars are pretty sweet, very advanced with the honeycomb aluminum chassis. Neat stuff. Thanks for sharing!

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

JG, do you know of the status of the j-replicas being produced or contempllated for production in denver, north carolina? is the story on these correct to the point that they will be very correct reproductions?

clearly they will have no impact on the valuations on the real thing but very nteresting nonetheless.

any insight would be great.

pcb

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I've been hearing about them for years and years but IMO I can't see that project making economic sense.

As for being correct I'll believe that when I see that...

Best

16. rosso_fanatic

rosso_fanatic Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    Long Beach
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Which SVJ did you drive recently? Miuras are some of my favorite cars, especially the SV and the SVJ sort. I cant wait to see pictures of Fabrice Auxietre's SVJ 5100 when it's done with it's 10 year resporation. Joe Sackey says that will be soon. Ooops.....I'm rambling. My apologies.

I'd also like to mention how much I enjoyed your description of what it's like to drive the J6. It was almost poetic. How do you register a full blown race car like that for street use?

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

I drove John's EX Shah of Iran car. As J6 is 1967 and has necessary road lights etc. she's fully street legal.

Best