348 engine rebuild ? | FerrariChat

348 engine rebuild ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by marco348, Jan 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marco348

marco348 Karting

Apr 24, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    Full Name:
    Marco M
    #1 marco348, Jan 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm at the end of complete tar down of a 348 engine rebuild and need some help on removing the front cover at the front of the engine block. It seems as the shaft for the timing belt pulley is holding it on. Any ideas

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    OK, I'm wearing asbestos, so flame me, but here goes. It's probably being held fast by the sealant and a couple of positioning pins. Place a wedge (a wood chisel works well) in the mating surface (maybe where the oil pan meets it) and hit it with a lead, brass, or for that matter, framing hammer. If it doesn't pop loose and I'm totally wrong here, little or no damage done. That's what I would do. G'luck.

3. marco348

marco348 Karting

Apr 24, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    Full Name:
    Marco M
    Tried that, Did not work. It is free at the bottom of the oil pan, But it seems to be holding where the timing pulley was. From the bottom you see the chin gears for the oil pump, does it all come out together ?

4. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Snap rings retain the driven gear bearing in the housing. The shaft has a key in it that should be removed so the bearing will slide off the shaft. Some pressure equally around the housing is likely needed after removal of the key. Try that. If that doesn't work a sawzall will. :)

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You being held up by all kinds of stuff 1) glue crap on stunds 2) two snap rings 3) bearing pressed on shaft. You need to take studs out which frees up more of the plate, 2) remove outter snap ring on timing shaft. 3) loosen plate with wack from hammer then you know you are just hung on bearing 4) now pry with equal force left right alternating top bottom on the plate to draw the bearing off the shaft or the bearing out of the plate case. One of these will give and often it is the case to bearing. You can pull the snap ring and heat the plate with a propane torch and that plate will just about jump off with no force as the plate expands faster than the outter bearing race. hope that helps.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi Marco...still stuck I see. Ok. where the crank pully bolts on, you see what looks like a seconday sleeve around the snout of the crank shaft. That is the oil pump chain drive gear. You have to have the oil pump sproket loose, as the chain and gear slide off together. Remove the key way from the crank snout so it can slide off eaiser, but its not really necessary because the gear is keyed aswell.

There are also positioning dowels in the engine block itself as stated above. The cover must be freed from these. You also have the pilot bearing in the block which the cam drive gears other side spins in, that has to be "popped" free from the bearing in order for the cover to come off. It must come off as square to the block as possiable to ease removal.

Use a deadblow hammer to to help break the seal and plastic wedges to free it from the dowel pins in the block.