!!!The Bugatti Veyron "LM GTP" re-imagined!!! | FerrariChat

!!!The Bugatti Veyron "LM GTP" re-imagined!!!

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by Bugattiart, Feb 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    #1 Bugattiart, Feb 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So how would you react to a Bugatti Veyron if it had a design that looked somewhat like this quick-sketched-one, and perhaps competed against the growing Diesel opposition at let's say Le Mans????

I have a strong feeling that many people just like myself would be happy to see Bugatti enter a car in the 24hours of Le Mans, and to repeat their glorious victories from 1937 and 1939!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. EVILZ33

EVILZ33 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    chicago
    i think it would be really cool if they entered but i highly doubt they would enter

3. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Me too, :) and no, it's not likely that they will go back to Le Mans.....only wishfull thinking :)

But, do you see the Bugatti inspiration in this quick sketch I did???

Best

Carsten

4. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i like the sketch. If you showed it to me and asked what car i thought that was, i would say bugatti hands down

5. EVILZ33

EVILZ33 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    chicago
    yea i do see the inspiration i didnt know you did it, wow you have really good skills

6. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Make the front part more rounded and set the cockpit back a tad. Et voila!

You're pretty talented!

7. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks, :)

Well, I could try to do a more detailed drawing in between my other works!!
    I am not too crazy about the design of the Veyron as I feel it totally lacks the Bugatti spirit/inspiration in the exterior design! But, as a huge Bugatti fanatic myself, perhaps I will have to show the folks at Bugatti what "Bugatti inspiration" means to me and to many other who loves the style and design of Bugattis of old ;)

8. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks a lot, :)

Well, I've decided to have another go when I get the time for it, and I had the same idea for a more rounded front
    Still, this was only a very quick sketch with a few ideas as to incorporate some Bugatti inspired styling elements in a more modern design, just to see if it would work!!!

Best

Carsten

9. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    It's a very good idea, it would have to be submitted to Thomas Bscher… I think that if the directory of Volkswagen let it make, it would not be against !!

10. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Christian,

Very cool sketch, but the car would not be legal at LeMans for about a zillion reasons. Still, it would be cool to see a legal Bugatti GTP car at LeMans, and a Jaguar, an Aston Martin, a Porsche, etc, etc. Such a waste that everyone is so fixed on F1.

Brian

11. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hi Christophe, :)
    I knew you would be thrilled about this idea! :)
    I don't think anyone at Bugatti would protest against a Le Mans car, but I'm not so sure that the direction at VW would approve and pay for an adventure like that.....but....wishfull thinking again!!!! ;)
    I will try and work a little further and develop this "design" of mine, but as everyone knows, I'm not at all a designer so please don't expect a car that is ready to be built!!
    For now it's just for the fun of it!
    Later....well let's wait and see ;)

Thanks my friend! :)
    .......oh and VIVE LA MARQUE!!!

Carsten

12. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks Brian, :)

Well, I'm sure that you of all people would know the rules and reasons why this car could not be approved for participating in the Le Mans 24 hours!
    As you probably know, I'm nowhere near to be a designer, and I only did this sketch for the fun, and to show that "Bugatti styling elements" could be incorporated into a modern car while still retaining at least some of the timeless "elegance" that was so obvious in Jean Bugatti's coachwork designs, and which I feel, is not part of the exterior design of the Bugatti Veyron!!! (....and by this I'm not trying to say that my design is any better.....only that it is certainly possible to incoporate Bugatti design influence into a modern car succesfully)
    I will be the first to admit that I do not have a clue about the rules or regulations for entering a car in the Le Mans 24 hours! :)
    To begin with this "design" of mine was not meant to be a racing car at all!
    I read a post by Jim Glickenhaus in another thread here at Fchat, where he proposed a bodywork design for the Veyron, that would be a mix between the Bugatti Elektron coupé/Atlantic and the Bentley Speed Eight!
    I found that there might be Bugattis enough arround with styling elements to make up a whole new Bugatti! However, in the end I choosed to make a new sketch for a LMP inspired Bugatti design!

I totally agree with your oppinion on the F1 contra LM races, as(IMHO)the ELMS and ALMS series races are much more entertaining and thrilling than any F1 race that I have seen in my whole life!
    Luckily Le Mans seems to become more and more popular again.....at least in my country, and I'm sure you know why!!! :)

Best to you

Carsten

13. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I have now "improved" a little on the design sketch from post#1, and a picture will be posted tomorrow.....too late and too dark for taking pictures here now!!

Untill later...

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice pic. :):)

15. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    That it is not! :) It's just and only a very quickly sketched out idea! It is very seldom that I show some of these quick sketches to anyone, since they do not at all reflect the qualities in my other works!
    If I was to be a car designer, my chances to survive and to get food, would be close to zero!! :D ;)
    Actually I'm a little embarrased to show this one here......believe me, I really am!!

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Either way, I still think its a nice pic. ;):)

17. RoWis

RoWis F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Thats is awesome, I would love to see Bugatti at Le Mans. Great sketch looks very good!

18. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    #18 Bugattiart, Feb 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks, :)

Well, here is the "improved" sketch from post#1....... just added a little more "Bugatti" to that one!

@everyone,

Please, do keep in mind that these quick sketches in NO WAY reflects the qualities of my usual drawings! These quick sketches are absolutely wothless in comparison, ......and luckily, I'm NOT a designer! :):)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Carsten,

Don't get me wrong! Your concept is very very cool and often times that is all I have to work with when a company comes to me and says that want a race car that looks like so.... and then I go thru the rules and wind tunnel and they then wonder what happened to their concept.

The BMW LMP cars went thru this. BMW sent in a "designer" to add a little "BMW" influence to the car. I knew it was a train wreck in progress when this "expert" proclaimed to me that we needed to remove the rear wing as it was not necessary for LeMans!

Well, we gave him a fiberglass body from our tunnel model to clay up. I really goy worried when the guy kept on asking for more clay to sploge on the car. When he was done he rolled the model out (under cover) and "launched" his vision. He had clayed up one half (left side) of the car to show his design relative to our (Williams) pathetic attempt to shape a race car. All I can say was my jaw dropped and I was "gob-smacked" but what I saw. As the clay work stopped on the car's longitudinal centerline I had a perfect view of the body centerline cross section. Our BMW boy had managed to style a perfect Clark Y airfoil shape, but in the wrong direction! All I could think of was "DC3" and "I am ruined!"

Well, we scanned the surface, created a new tunnel body and ran the wind up over it. At about 50-60 mph tunnel speed the whole front of the car tried to take off, we actually saw air under the front wheels! We had to terminate the test or risk damaging the tunnel strut and model.

Upon showing the data to the designer (The car showed positive lift and a positive CP in front of the car!) he simply shrugged and said that this was the design of the car, simple as that.

I physically had him removed from the premises and informed the security guards that he was never allowed back in-ever!

I then called BMW and said, in effect, your boy is insane and I will kill him if I ever see him again. Ah, the glamorous life of car design!

But your design is way better than that. In essence you have created a "vision" that captures the core design philosophy of a Bugatti in a pretty reasonable GTP car design. Trust me, this is a heck of a lot better than many of the "professional car designers" I have had to work with. In my opinion, you have what it takes to be a car designer, as a profession.Trust me on that!

20. Moca

Moca Formula 3

Feb 3, 2007
    Hungary, Szombathely
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Looks fantastic, keep up the good work.

21. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    @Brian, :)

WOOOOOW........THANKS! :)

I didn't get you wrong in the first place.....not at all!!! :)

I really have a hard time believing that you actually wrote that last chapter of your last post!!!!...... My jaw is still somewhere on the floor....Thanks again Brian, you have no clue how humble and happy I feel right now!!!
    I always had this dream of becoming a designer, but since that would mean many years of studying and going to schools, I discarded that dream some years back, and started to realise that I was not going to reach that goal!!!
    I have made soooo many of these "Visions" over the years, but always thrown them out as worthless "garbage"(which most of them probably was anyway!)
    If nothing else, this last post of your's will definately make me start dreaming again, and make more "Visions"

I am fully aware of the fact that many designers do not have the slightest clue as to make a design-vision that would work in real.....but stilll!!!!

Thanks Brian, I would be very proud and honoured to be able to work with you some day!!!

Best regards

Carsten

I have difficulties in finding words to describe my state of mind right now!!!

22. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great work Carsten... I really dig it. :)

I always had the 'auto designer' dream but didn't pursue it due to the reasons you mentioned.. I'm kind of glad I didn't because some of the stuff I see coming of the design schools is pretty poor; sometimes it's just apparent that they don't even like cars.

Besides all that, most get stuck with designing some boring stuff (door handles, windsheild wipers). I'm pretty sure if you really worked on it you could position yourself to do it without going through the schooling. It's always been in the back of my mind to do just that..

23. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks so much, :)

I never thought a poorly made 10-20 minutes sketch like this could get that much interest!
    I really can't wait to see what kind of reactions a more detailed and better made drawing could get!!!
    And, a better drawing will be made, since you guys really encouraged me to proove that I can do a lot better than this first and IMO lousy performed "design-vision"
    Thanks a lot to all of you.....this is somewhat like getting a blood transfusion with alot of good ideas in it!!! :)

Well, I don't know if there is any shortcuts on the road to becoming a designer, but I really wish there was!!!! So how do we find out???......should we just start our own "car-Idea-bureau" , just like that :) ;) That way we would not end up designing stuff we don't really care to work with!!! ;)
    Just kidding of course, but I really am burning to find out if there is any possibilities to become a Car-idea-maker, or car-"designer" without all the schooling and all the other boring stuff that we don't want!
    Remember that the great master Ettore Bugatti himself, started out as an artist with no engineering background......that makes me wonder!!!!

Best regards

Carsten

24. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    To me the design looks about 5 years too old to be actually competitive today. BTW, maybe some don't remember that a Bugatti EB110 DID run at LeMans about 15 years ago and finished something like 13th OA...

25. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks Stuart,

Well, I know it's not totally up-to-date, and probably because I do not know all the regulations and rules for the LM cars of today! It was just meant as an LMGTP inspired design!! :)

I for one, have not forgotten the EB 110 at Le Mans in 1994, and neither can I forget that at some points in the race it was actually the fastest car on the track, and further, it was at some points placed sixth overall!!!
    Actually the car was withdrawn/DNF due to problems with the turbos!!! :)