75 308GT4 on Ebay (#10929) - pics show nice, steep price | FerrariChat

75 308GT4 on Ebay (#10929) - pics show nice, steep price

Discussion in '308/328' started by James in Denver, Mar 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    See:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-Ferrari-Dino-308-GT4-Berlinetta-Boxer_W0QQitemZ300088790335QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://tinyurl.com/3b5ynd

I'm not afflilliated with the seller, just figured I'd post for others to see.

The pictures look NICE (except 1 on the deck lid, not latched or bent?).

Red/Boxer over Black/Red interior.

Appears to be a pretty legit car, except the Fram oil filter.

Strange how the ad says "Berlinetta Boxer", wtf????

I forgot where the serial#s stop for the series 1, is this a series 1?

James in Denver

2. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This is the part that cracks me up:

A 5 year/100,000 mile warranty can be added to the Ferrari for
    just $999.00
    The warranty covers the engine, transmission, and water pump. It can be serviced at the ASE certified shop of your choice.
    Call for more details:

I find this very hard to believe! It would be interesting to see the language in the contract for this.

JEff

3. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Berlinetta Boxer he wishes... The boxer paint is too high on the body and is done in glossy which is all wrong and looks dumb.... The bertone emblem is on the door for some strange reason and also looks retarded....

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    10929 is not the serial number for this car. No such thing as a GT4 with a serial number ending in the number "9"
    Badge on the right side is in the wrong place. Should NOT be a badge on the left side.
    Wrong shift knob.
    Seatbelts are wrong.
    Visors are wrong
    Sparkplug wires are wrong
    Oil filler car is wrong
    Coils are not OE
    Hose clamps are wrong (but that means the fuel & emission lines have been replaced)
    Someone check me on this....doesn't the boxer trim look like the wrong shade?
    Ferrari badge on nose
    Series 1 wheels missing (I have a set for sale)
    Did you notice that in the picture with the headlights on that the right parking light is out?
    Where is the black cover that covers the workings under the hood?
    Left headlight dropped too far, right one is too high
    Something is wrong with the paint line between the red and the boxer trim. Gloss paint line?
    "fogged" face on the clock. Why do all GT4's have this problem?
    Dash lights under the switches are in the wrong order.
    Wire ties instead of factory clamps on air hoses.
    Oil cooler lines are aftermarket rubber, not braided stainless. Big no-no, easy fix.
    Not 100% positive, REPEAT, not 100 sure....but I don't think that is an original factory correct interior.

Nice red paint
    Excellent "chrome"
    Bumpers show no signs of cracks, etc.
    Body lines are straight as an arrow
    Door panels look new, nice
    Really nice look engine. Clean as can be.

Overall a pretty nice car. Nothing I noticed that would make me shy away from it. the things that are wrong can be easly fixed.

Sure would like to know the real serial number.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    SHEESH!!!!!!!!
    Could I miss spell anymore words in the above?

Rob, we want spell check!

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ....and by the way...

I don't think the price is steep.

The days of buying a nice series 1 Dino on the cheap are over boys. I know of 2 that have sold for over $30k in just the last 30 days. Get them while they are still only $30 to $32k.

Mark my words, if I'm wrong you're all welcome to come to the winery for free wine. Nice ones are up over 20% in just the past 18 months. You'll wish you'd bought one at $30k in less than 3 years.

7. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    I paid 32500 euro for mine, which at current exchange rate equals $ 42500!!

Granted, cars in general ARE much more expensive here and mine has had an extensive group-up refurbishment (all-new paint, interior, suspension, engine overhaul).

$30K here in Europe buys you a very questionnable GT4....

Hans

8. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I yield to the GT4 "gods"..............

Hey, it looks good in the pictures, and since I don't own one, looked nice to me. But alas, DStacy points out all the stuff I'd never know about :).

Having driven a series 1 (as a potential buy), they are an awesome car, just didn't figure that price was reasonable. ---shrug--- They ARE getting rarer.

James in Denver
    PS I did see the hokey gear stift lever, but I figured that would be an easy undo.

9. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    If this dealer is any relation to "Daniel Schmitt & Company" on Lindberg in St Louis, Missouri, I would be cautious with my purchase. They have a 'sister' dealership there in St Louis.

I bought my 85 308GTS there and had a few issues, I have a friend who bought a classic mustang there and had many issues.

10. ajayM

ajayM Rookie

Mar 20, 2006
    S. Flori-duh
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hard to say for this particular example, although it's still a premium price for a car that is not remotely close to being "correct", how many thousands will it take to bring the car back fairly close to original?

11. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    Wow, if thats a 30k car mine must be 50K:)

12. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Not remotely close to being correct? It has a few incorrect issues, but certainly nothing that would stop me from driving it and showing it off. The interior looks like it is in great shape, the paint looks excellent, the metalwork all looks staraight. Sure, I prefer leather, the shift knob would go, the boxer paint is a little high, but this looks like a great car. Is the extra six inches of black paint around the beltline such an emergency that this car needs an immediate respray? It's not like it has the Confederate flag painted on the roof and "01" on the doors. Very few people need a "correct" GT4. Many more people need a well-maintained, nice looking GT4.

It is at the high end of the price range, but if you buy a GT4 like mine, a driver for $20k and put on a nice paint job and re-do the interior, you'd be right there at $30k. Tough call, you couldn't do it for less, but a nice example doesn't bring the all the money.

13. ajayM

ajayM Rookie

Mar 20, 2006
    S. Flori-duh
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You're paying nearly show-car money for a car that won't win any shows. But even ignoring that aspect of it, a few things light off my "danger" signals as well, such as the plug wires, wire ties, oil lines, etc, if somebody cheaps out on those, what other corners have been cut while doing work on the car?

Just because the paint is shiny and somebody slaps a big price on it doesn't make the car worth a certain amount of money. I agree that for many people that the price may very well be worth it, especially for a car that has been kept to the highest possible quality, but I don't see it in this one, at least by the E-bay ad (of course a closer inspection may change that completely).

14. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Dave, of all people, I'm very surprised you don't know the answer to this one! I think I asked this question of the forum about my car shortly after purchase last year. Apparently, of all the faces, the clock is the only piece that is plastic - not glass - because of the hole that had to be drilled through. What many of us are experiencing is not fog, but apparently "yellowing" of the plastic.

I considered having mine redone by Palo Alto Speedo, since they're just right up the road, but after reading a thread or two on the horrors of R&Ring the aluminum dash (the short version: it's nowhere NEAR as easy as it looks), I decided that I can live with the "foggy" clock for now.

:D

Have a great weekend, Dave. TTYL.

Aaron

15. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    True, perhaps, but I think we're beginning to lose perspective on the reality of a show winner. The fact is, not so many GT4s are shown, and I'd say that even fewer win. As Dave says, the REALLY good ones are getting hard to find.

To quote the current issue of Forza, from the "250 GT Market Report,"

That's a $400,000 spread for a model of which only 350 were made, and surely fewer exist, especially on U.S. soil! There's one up the road in Emeryville, CA at Fantasy Junction for $465,000. It is painted a non-original Blu Sera over Tan. The paintjob is most likely flawless, and it comes from a highly reputable shop in the Bay Area. It is not "factory correct," however.

That said, whomever is fortunate enough to buy that car will own something that 999 out of 1,000 people won't know from factory original because it's in such outstanding condition. Will it win Pebble? Doubtful. At $465k, it's near the top of the market, but under the current conditions, I believe it's fairly valued.

The same applies to the well maintained GT4s that can reasonably be returned to "original" condition. You will pay near the top of the market for a car that's 90-97% there. Those last 3%, I believe, will tack on some serious bucks.

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well Aaron, to be honest I have to admit I didn't know that!
    I'll be.

I'm still working on that other deal but it is looking pretty good now. I'll let you know the result of the PPI.

Oh now I wouldn't quite say that about this car. Except for the paint, and yep that'll cost more than a few bucks, it wouldn't take much to get this car up to factory correct standards.

Well said my friend.
    Finding a GT4 that is 90% there is TOUGH at best.

17. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Except for the Series II front end (which I happen to prefer lookswise) mine is, or (soon) will be pretty close to original.

But even so, that may be short lived as I'm still considering some serious mechanical mods like electronic ignition and maybe even fuel-injection later-on down the road.

I only have a few things that aren't correct; Wrong carpet material. Cooling fans replaced with an internal unit (although I still have the originals). 328 oil filter and Ferrari prancing horse horn-button insteand of the Dino-button. And lastly, the missing the muffler shield.

Also, mine is one of the few (I've seen) that has the original and (BTW) very ugly picnic table rear bumper, that God only, knows how it can be restored! Probably better to simply replace it, with the newer and smaller non-orginal (although factory upgraded) one.

So it's not a matter of being a "perfect" car. At least not to me. Some options or modification look better (IMHO) on these cars than how they were originally sold. Like he bumper, for instance. Or what most people do first, the wheels. I have the little 14" Dino wheels. And I'd rather "buy" a nice set of 16" GTO replica knockoffs than trade mine for them. But several times, I've been sorely tempted. I sure wish I'd bough Robert Garvin's when I had the chance!

Electronic ignition (by all accounts) will make the car more drivable and therefore more enjoyable. FI will also increase the drivability, but at the expense of the sound of the carbs. But FI can go with forced induction of some kind for increased HP. So, the question is:

What do you want? A plaque?

I'm fortunate that my car got one of those too, way back in the mid-80's. But I doubt it will ever see another one. Although I'm sure it could if I really wanted it to. But I don't. I don't care.

I'd rather enjoy driving the car.

18. ajayM

ajayM Rookie

Mar 20, 2006
    S. Flori-duh
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wheels, paint, some misc engine items ;) $5-7k for paint, $1-2k for wheels, figure another $1-2k in the engine compartment, maybe another $1k for other misc items.

Of course if you just want a driver, then none of that needs to be done.

I'm not talking about a national show, do they even let GT4's into those? But at a local level...

Regardless, as I said in my other post, it doesn't even look like a "good" car with the engine items mentioned. But I admit that may just be getting picky and proper ispection may reveal only minor problems.

But when I see a premium price I don't want to see those kinds of shortcuts (pep boys shift knob!?!), it makes me suspicious.

19. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    I especially like the ford part # fram oil filter, someone who puts a 3$ oil filter wrapped in toilet paper might show some insightto the rest of the cars maint. I wonder if they have ever seen what 80 psi of cold 50wght does to a cheap filter like that??

20. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    HOLY CRAP

I KNOW THIS CAR!

This car was right down the street from my house. I looked at it last May at the Keels & Wheels concours when I was showing my 400i.

Oh jeesh! I can't believe I missed it. I feel so stupid.

I drove it. It smoked really bad.
    They ran a compression check for me and it came up bad on 2 cylinders.
    Pulled hard to one side under braking.

22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    the correct serial # for this car is 10928.

23. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Actually, the original oil cooler lines were covered with braided cloth, and looked like the original cloth fuel lines, only much larger diameter. Braided stainless and rubber are actually equally incorrect...and I am in shock that some ********* cut holes in the otherwise very nice door panels for speakers.

Oh - and the seat cloth is stunningly incorrect - Ferrari never used anything even remotely like this!

Alex

24. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Those are relatively easy fixes usually, but the one there is going to be pretty darn expensive. No mention of recent work. Hmmmmm.

Did the car have California plates on it in May or did it go on a little vacation and then come back to TX?

25. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Holy...Who bid $29,500 for this car? If this is market mine must be worth near 50K. I suspect a suspect bid here.