16467 Michelotti Daytona | FerrariChat

16467 Michelotti Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Olczyk, Mar 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    #1 Olczyk, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello, my friend just bought this car and will be glad to see any old photos from show, previous owners, complet history etc..
    I will offer free books for great photos or complet history
    Thank You in advance
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Itis my understanding that Chinetti had an arrangement with lenders and financial institutuions that he would buy back any cars that were badly damaged in an accident or caught in a fire. He would then send many of them back to Italy to be refurbished and/or rebodied.
    Some of the Michelotti cars were the result of this exercise. I recall that a Boston area car dealer named Herb Chambers had a car just like the one pictured. There was also a Greenwich, CT based BMW dealer named Frank Wienberg that had one although I do not know the serial numbers.
    Gerlad Roush wrote a book on Daytonas and should know more.

David

3. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    you are right, David,

this are supposed to be the remains of the Daytona Spider #68/121 from 72 in Rosso chiaro/Rosso & Black LHD US that was wrecked in "A Star is Born" and rebuilt by Michelotto as Michelotto NART Spider Azzurro/Tan then Rosso Corsa/Tan removable rollbar

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i grew up in greenwich just around the corner from sr. i remember seeing coco driving a black one and also saw a red and yellow in jr's garage over on holly way dr. in cos cob.

i may have pictures of the yellow and black cars parked next to each other in coco's garage...they will not be of high quality as they were taken w/ a kodack instamatic.

5. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    I'm sure your friend had seen this info as it was listed in the rm auction site. Personally, I didn't care for the interior. I thought it didn't match what was an interesting exterior.

I hope he enjoys the car to his fullest. It looks like it went for much under the anticipated price.

LOT: 237
    ESTIMATE: $500,000 - $700,000
    CHASSIS NO: 16467
    AUCTION RESULTS: Lot was Sold at a price of $385,000

Specifications:
    352hp, 4,380cc twin overhead cam all-alloy V12 with six Weber twin choke carburetors, five-speed manual gearbox, four-wheel independent suspension and four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 94.5"

By the late sixties, Lamborghini and others were offering double overhead cam engines with multi-carb setups. Although Ferrari’s 275 GTB/4 was more than a match in performance, the public wanted more sophistication. The result was the car many consider Ferrari’s ultimate road car, the 365 GTB/4 Daytona.

Introduced in 1968 with production beginning in 1969, the 365 GTB/4 was Ferrari’s response to an evolving market and, even more important, changing regulations in its most important market, the United States, where increasingly stringent emissions standards and rigid safety-related regulations had made the previous generation of Ferraris a difficult sell. The 365 GTB/4 was bigger, both in bulk and in the power to propel it, more luxuriously equipped and was wrapped in a Pininfarina-designed, Scaglietti-built body that was equally a departure from earlier Ferraris.

Not only did the Daytona offer the features, it delivered the goods. It was the fastest production car of its time, with a top speed just over 174 miles per hour. And yet – with power brakes, air conditioning, and leather interior – it was also a high speed “gentleman’s express.” One of the last hand built Ferraris, the Daytona is one of the most desirable Ferraris of all time.

The 365 GTB/4 was given the name “Daytona” after Ferrari’s victory in the Daytona 24 Hours and took off to sales success. Road & Track magazine summed up the Daytona’s attributes succinctly, sub-heading their October 1970 Road Test, “The fastest – and best – GT is not necessarily the most exotic.” It was still a front-engined, rear wheel drive berlinetta but what a sublime, powerful and highly developed berlinetta it was. The V12 engine was barely recognizable as derived from Gioacchino Colombo’s 20 year old design, lengthened to accommodate the 81mm bore needed to give it 4,390cc of displacement, fitted with twin cam cylinder heads for high rpm and better breathing through a sextet of Weber 40 DCN 20 carburetors. Its increased displacement was needed to deliver sufficient power to cope with the air injection system required to meet U.S. emissions regulations and also to propel the Daytona’s not inconsiderable bulk. Early in its development Ferrari quoted a target weight of 2,640 pounds. In production it weighed in at well over 3,000 pounds.

The Daytona’s engine, however, was up to the challenge. Its top speed was three miles per hour faster than the Miura’s and it out accelerated its mid-engined competitor by half a second in 400 meters. It was a mighty automobile that handled as well as it went thanks to 7 1/2 inch wide, 15 inch wheels, 215/70 Michelin tires and Ferrari’s four-wheel independent suspension with coil springs and tube shocks that had proven itself in nearly a decade of successful Ferrari sports racing cars.

The example presented here is an original Daytona Spyder, the 71st car built of a total 121. It is an original left hand drive model built for the United States market. Inspection of the build records reveals the original paint color was light red with black leather seats and a full black interior, air conditioning and instruments for the U.S. market. Upon completion by Ferrari, 16467 was sent to Modern Classic Motors, Reno, Nevada. It was then promptly sold to a Mr. Greer.

In 1975, while being used in the filming of the movie “A Star is Born” (Warner Bros, Kris Kristofferson, Barbara Streisand), it was badly damaged. Upon needing substantial repair, 16467 was sold to Luigi Chinetti who repaired the car at an internal cost of $6,000. Instead of repairing the bodywork in its original style, Luigi Chinetti commissioned Giovanni Michelotti to design and execute a special one-off body for the car. The approach to the design and construction of the car is in that typical “carrozzeria tradition” the customer, not the maker, has gone to Michelotti, to ask him to design and build a limited number of cars. Although the Ferrari Daytona, is out of production at Maranello, Luigi Chinetti gave Michelotti the task to come up with a contemporary, exclusive spyder with the confidence he could get the right car. And as everybody can see, he was not wrong. Although neither probably knew it at the time, this was the last car the great Giovanni Michelotti ever designed.

Due to the large 12-cylinder engine in the front, Michelotti found designing the front a challenge, but with a thin bumper, pop up lights and straight but clean lines, Michelotti masterfully solved the problem. The interior was also redesigned with simple but contemporary lines, while maintaining a rather classic layout for the original, factory mounted instruments. The upholstering of seats is in leather, and inserted in the fascia and door panels is a warm dark brown cloth. The beige soft top is a conventional convertible design, as the car is expected to be driven in warm and sunny climates.

The newly redesigned Michelotti NART Spyder was proudly displayed on the Michelotti stand at the Torino Motor Show in 1980. From that point on, 16467 has been in the tight clutches of just a few collectors in the United States and today remains in very presentable overall condition, ready to be driven and enjoyed at all speeds.

6. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    With the prices that factory Daytona spiders are getting, why not do a correct rebody and put the current body on a 365GTC/4?

Ferrari Market Letter noted this about it:

S/N 16467, a Daytona Spyder, was the first of two Daytona Spyders used in the filming of the movie Gumball Rally. After the car was crashed, it was rebuilt and used in another, A Star Is Born, with Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristofferson. After it was used in the Streisand movie, 16467 was then converted by Michellotti.

See: http://www.ferrarimarketletter.com/factoftheday.cfm

Some more pics from RM at:

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/7281/index.html?no_cache=1&cHash=6c71781d8c

Also see this website for a reference to it:
    http://www.qv500.com/ferraridaytonap2.php

7. racingracing

racingracing Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    your friend made a gret deal as daytona spyder are in the $ 700 range and his car is a one off. if we look other one off ferrari, they all bring more money than the standard one.

prototype daytona one off is for sale by gtc for 2 000 000 $

8. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    Looking for period ads for this car please. I will pay of course

9. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    no offense intended, but God that thing is hideous !

10. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #11 GTSguy, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This isn't my favoriite Ferrari but I think your judgement misses the point. Many Italian stylists were working with wedge forms in the late 60s and early 70s. The best were coupes, not spyders, in my opinion. The Maserati Boomerang (Giugiaro), the Lancia Stratos (Bertone), the Pantera (Tjaarda), the Mangusta Mongoose (Giugiaro @ Ghia). Bertone designed the GT 4 with this inspiration. Many of the wedges were quite beautiful. They explored all kinds of design concepts. Some focused on planar shapes, others more rounded. Michelotti's (one of very few independent designers at the time) Daytona is a part of this history. I'm glad it is in the hands of someone who appreciates it.

Jon