NOISE front engine bay! I found out! 550 Maranello | FerrariChat

NOISE front engine bay! I found out! 550 Maranello

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ajimbo, Mar 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ajimbo

ajimbo Karting

Feb 27, 2007
    Kelowna BC Canada
    Full Name:
    A Jimbo
    My car started making strange noise(big big irritating noise) when I start the car(only when it's cold for some reason..), and I had no idea what it was...

And then I noticed there are some rubber shreds on the ground of my garage! So I freaked out and it maybe that timing belt or acc. belt is breaking!

So I opened up the area, and what did I find?!

Broken Crank pulley!!!

The damper rubber have come off, and outer pulley was just spinning.. and it was rubbing onto the timing pullies!

damn...

Have you ever seen that? I have worked on probably over 100 cars(as I do car things for my job..), but I have never never seen that.. Including oooold American cars. how could they make that so poorly. anyway.

Good thing I found out now.

Since I got this far, I am changing all bearings and belts incl. timing belt.

It's actually quite simplete in there.. surprised..

I also found the A/C Alternator idler pulley bearing is also completely shot, so it was good thing to open up.

If you hear a irritating metal noise from the front, make sure it's not your crank pulley.

Best regards

Jimbo

2. ajimbo

ajimbo Karting

Feb 27, 2007
    Kelowna BC Canada
    Full Name:
    A Jimbo
    I am sorry.. I have written in hurry, and it made no sense... When I wrote "So I freaked out and it maybe that timing belt or acc. belt is breaking! " , I meant "So I freaked out and "thouhgt" it ....."

:)

3. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    post how many miles, and last check on this engine

also

how do you drive...good warm ups?
    hard?
    long drives?

would help me in understanding the possibilities.
    thanks

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Rubber in vibration dampers does go bad and there are companies that specialize in rebuilding them. I get them done from time to time. I have never seen one that new go bad and it really makes me wonder why. You said the alternator pulley is bad too? What happened to it?

5. ajimbo

ajimbo Karting

Feb 27, 2007
    Kelowna BC Canada
    Full Name:
    A Jimbo
    Hi.

The car has about 29000miles. and the service was done properly each time, the car is mostly well done. Really clean in and out, is it something to do with salty air around here? I live right by the ocean.. but I honestly doubt that.

I have no idea. I contacted the dealer if that was common, and it apparently is absolultely unheard of on Maranello.

I don't drive it that hard, and I really have no idea...

Well, sometimes, sure... some hard acceleration, but I do far crazier thing in my Skyline. like 6000rpm 4wd launch.

I would be less surprised if some suspension components went wrong before anything.

mmm. just a very unlucky pulley?

Yeah, it's the idler pulley for the A/C and the alternator. Bearing was bad. I guess that's not so crazy. I have seen that go.

oh well. It's time to change things over. =)

I got all tools needed to do it, so might as well do it while it's open I guess.

I have already ordered the pulley yesterday. It's not too bad of price. about 500dollars shipped. (surprised how low it was for a Ferrari part.)

Jimbo

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bearings go bad in the tensioner pulleys. That is common. I keep those in stock. As for the vibe damper I guess you just got a bad one, stuff happens.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sorry it happened.
    Got any photos?
    Thanks

8. ajimbo

ajimbo Karting

Feb 27, 2007
    Kelowna BC Canada
    Full Name:
    A Jimbo
  9. SWFLMike

SWFLMike Rookie

Mar 11, 2004
    Ft. Myers
    OK, not a Ferrari owner, but maybe this will be of interest.

I was doing a service call at a house last week and the estate manager and I got talking about the 550 in the driveway. He told me that they had a problem with it not too long ago. It had been making a funny sound, and it sounded to him like a dying power steering pump. So they looked into it, and sure enough it was exactly what you just mentioned - the rubber on the harmonic balancer had seperated from the hub/pulley. It cost them $700 to get the part replaced. The car is a 2000, and had 7300 miles on it at the time.

10. ajimbo

ajimbo Karting

Feb 27, 2007
    Kelowna BC Canada
    Full Name:
    A Jimbo
    oh it sounds like it's a bad batch of broken ones.. Maybe I should make Aluminum pulley...(since there is no secondary harmonic vibration?(correct me if I am wrong)

I have put aluminum crank pulley on many race engines over the years, and I really have never had issues it causing any problems on bearings and such that they say it does. =)

ah... or just live with it. I guess... Leave the ferrari alone~~right?

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I lost a crank pulley on a '75 Chev 454 and on a '77 Mercedes 300D within 6 months of each other. Both cars had over 100 grand on them. On these cars it was the pulley (not the harmonic balancer) that broke. Amazing to me that it was such a similar failure on such different vehicles.