348 battery | FerrariChat

348 battery

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fabbsy, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fabbsy

fabbsy Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Asia
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Hi all, the battery on my 91 348TB keeps going flat.
    Can someone please give me the specs on what batt is best to use on my F-car. Batt in in the LHS eng compartment.
    Thanks
    Marc

2. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    #2 bigbaddad, Nov 17, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I'm not sure which is the 'best', but I put in the Optima Red Top. Hold on, maybe it is the best, right on the battery is says "The ultimate power source"!

I picked it up at Costco for $100 or so. It fits with no problems. Here I am putting it in (actually, I'm taking out the old one)!

-John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. fabbsy

fabbsy Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Asia
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks for the info and looks like you have to take out the rear guard ??

4. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    You may be able to pull it up through the engine bay, but it looks tight. By taking off the rear wheel and rear guard, it slides right in.

BTW - I checked out your profile. There probably aren't any Costco's in Asia?!?

5. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    My 348tb also had this problem if I did not drive it for a couple of weeks or so. I now have a "Battery Tender" that is connected when the car is in the garage. I have not had a problem since. You can find a "Battery Tender" or similar battery maintainer on the internet or in the US at a Harley dealer.

6. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    i took mine out through the engine bay..... Man, THAT was hard! BTW bigbad, there are not too many people who have a brithday on 26 December. besides myself, that is. wher is that picture taken? Scottsdale? over by the Botanical Gardens?

7. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
  8. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    When I was a kid, there were a couple of years where my birthday got lost in the chaos of Christmas.

The pic was taken in Scottsdale, but not near the botanical gardens/zoo. There are some cool rock formations there though. Sounds like you have been out here before?

9. FAD2BLK

FAD2BLK Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was having similar issues with the battery on my '94 Spider. With numerous recommendations from friends I went with an Optima Red top($95.00 on sale from a local auto parts store) which has the Spiracell design. I left nothing to chance and installed a battery manager from Griots Garage (griotsgarage.com) for $59.95.
    I attached the connector with the fuse and have only the small plug protruding a bit from the battery compartment for easy access. I leave it charging continually when I'm not driving it. I have not had a single battery issue since!

10. fabbsy

fabbsy Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Asia
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks for all the info and I'll check out Griots Garage

11. fabbsy

fabbsy Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Asia
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Just checked out the Battery tender but unfortunately where the car lives is in a high rise apartment carpark so no chance of a wall plug.
    Might just try the disconnect metheod when I'm not able to drive it.
    is it pretty straight forward removing the rear guard ??

Thanks
    Marc

12. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I once saw a solar powered battery charger/tender. It pluged into the lighter socket. Don't know if it works or how much sun if any your car sees. Just thought I'd mention it.

13. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    #13 bigbaddad, Nov 19, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is VERY easy. Just jack up the car, remove some screws, then take out the wheel-well liner. Now you can see the battery. Undo the bolt for the battery clamp, disconnect the battery and slide it out.

When you install your new batttery, you need to start the car and let in run for 10-15 mintues without touching the gas pedal. The resets the ECU's somehow.

-John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Standig

Standig Karting

May 13, 2002
    Spring Hill, Fl
    Full Name:
    Stan DiGuiseppi
    Its tight but can come out from the engine bay.
    Also, Griot's has a battery tender, it works great.
    I have one for each car I park including my boat.
    Highly recommend.

15. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    I can also attest that the battery will come out from the engine bay as I did this last night. I replaced mine with an Optima Red Top reverse terminal. Made a huge difference in the car. My A/C fan motor stopped making noise when operational.

Shan

16. fabbsy

fabbsy Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Asia
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Hey thanks for all the tips and pics !!