308 to 288 GTO body conversion on Ebay | FerrariChat

308 to 288 GTO body conversion on Ebay

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jati, May 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jati

Jati Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    Florida & NC
    Full Name:
    Joe G.
    Hi All,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-GTO-84-Ferrari-308-with-288-GTO-Body-Conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6212QQihZ010QQitemZ200106000832QQrdZ1

I was just wondering if anyone here knew the car or the dealer?

I tried to call the dealer (Tom Papadopoulos) several times yesterday & he seemed to be avoiding me like the plague. I then sent an email (which I checked the status on..he did read it). Judging by his Ebay feedback, he may be problematic.????
    I realize that the car may have already been sold, but the auction is still on-going. A call back would have been appropriate.

Most views on conversions here are negative, I just thought the car looked pretty well sorted-out & would make a cheap project to mess with and knock around in. My F40 isn't going to see much use and I'm still trying to find an Enzo at a good price.

Joe

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    there are a few rebodies on Ferrariads. one was from an owner in Charleston SC, not a far drive from you. wish i could help more.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Try emailing Tom. He has responded promptly to mine in the past.

There was another thread on the that conversion recently, and consensus was that someone ruined a nice 308. If it was my money, I'd go find a needy 308 that can be brought back to what is was.

I'm actually surprised he's selling that - most of his cars are extremely high-end.

4. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    The one that was at Fantasy Jucnction (w/Ore or Wash plates) last year was pretty nice too.

I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to this though;

I recall reading that it was built on a GT4 and not a GTB/S. Does anyone know if that's true? Or was that just a typo.

If it can be done though; Putting that body kit on a GT4 is an interesting idea. The longer wheelbase makes an inherently better handeling car. And with a turbo...(?) Heck, there maybe be enough room in the back of a GT4 to transversly re-mount the engine. Although that would probably be a very expensive project.

There are a few basket cases here and there that pop-up. And I'm thinking of the T-Top eBay car that got pulled in the last few seconds of bidding.

Just wondering if it can be done on a GT4..

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I heard of someone putting a 348 engine/trans in the back of a GT4 longitudinal. That would be ideal for a rebody, although I don't think I would ever do it.

6. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #6 DavidDriver, May 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not even with this car?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I think it would be fairly difficult to use a GT4 for the conversion being that the roof line and doors don't match the 288 as does the 308. The only benefit I can see is the wheel base as you said before. The 288 and GT4 are similar in that dimension the 308 being shorter in its wheel base. Regards, Vern

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    No...okay....maybe... :D

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    That 288GTO (308) looks bad ass!!!! I would love to have one of those with a Vortech Supercharger!!! I think I would like it more than a 348/360 :D :D !!!!

10. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    This car apprears to be a 308QV with a 328 motor !? If that is the case, popping on a 328motorsports Supercharger kit would make this car almost a real GTO (hp wise, 385+ easy) hmmmmm.......I already have the supercharger.....

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    :eek: :cool: :D

I wonder if it is still available???

12. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Its sold! I heard it had alot of little issues though :(.