sodium valves | FerrariChat

sodium valves

Discussion in '308/328' started by blainewest, May 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    I was wondering when did Ferrari stop (or did they?) using sodium filled valves in the 308s? Did the QVs have sodium filled valves?

2. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    2 valve cars had them
    4 valve didn't

To the best of my knowledge

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Is the consensus that sodium valves should be replaced with SS?

Say for instance, on my 1977 GTB?

:)

Greg

4. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I have a 79, and I'm not worrying about it.

5. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Hi Greg,
    Go to the 206/246 section and scroll down to the discussions on the sodium filled valves (you could also just search for "sodium" or "sodium valves"). The testimonials are amazing and the pictures will give you pause. Granted, there are some owners of cars with original engines who have not experienced the madding sound created by the departure of a valve head from its stem! they are most fortunate.
    I don't know when the factory discontinued use of the hollow-stem exhaust valves; I understand that they were installed in all 206/246 Dinos and 'early' 308s. Though I'm more familiar with the the plight of V-6 Dino owners, I have read of catastrophic exhaust valve failure on early V-8s, too.
    It's certainly worth checking into as you could be rolling the dice every time you start your engine.
    Good luck & keep us posted.
    Coop

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    will do, thanks...

7. louthancomp

louthancomp Karting

Feb 9, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Louthan
    I think it really depends on how hard you run your car. If you drive it pretty easy it may not be an issue. I have some pics on my site of one that came apart trying to catch a Viper... it's ugly. Check out www.FerrariPerformance.com

8. dan the man

dan the man Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I had one let go at around 8000rpms shifting from 2nd to 3rd. My 79 was a daily driver, and it destroyed the cylinder, head, and rod. Plus it beat the crap out of the cylinder seal land, and the crank. It also distroyed the cylinder across from the one that blew. I do not think a grenade itself could have done more damage.

I replaced the engine with a used one which came out of a burned 308. when I pulled the heads to have them reworked FIVE (5) exhaust valves had popped off as a result of the fire!!!! (I did not rebuild the bottom end as it was unharmed).

I say that if all is well, you do not drive it hard (anything above 6000 rpms) AND you do not have ANY overheating problems you will be fairly safe. But, when does that happen?

It is not cheap to change them, and the heads are a bear to get off. they will however come off in the car. But, it is not cheap if one breaks either.

I now have SS valves.

Dan