F308GTB, noise on oil filter | FerrariChat

F308GTB, noise on oil filter

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308gtb.ferrari, Jul 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308gtb.ferrari

Dec 11, 2006
    #1 308gtb.ferrari, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello.

I'm a new owner of a Ferrari 308GTB 1977 (Polyester/Vetroresina/Fiberglass) EURO specs. I have included a photo.

I have a problem, there is a lot of noise on the oil filter.
    I repace the oil filter but it's the same problem.
    The sound comes out from the oil filter, if i touch it, i feel vibrations from this oil filter.
    This model has a dry sump.

The problem occur when i start the engine, after about 10 kilometers, it disappear.

I have include a video with sound where you can ear the noise when i push the throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xovahIvR76w

Is there a valve inside the oil filter ?
    The last oil filter i have changed was a "ferrari" model and it there was the same problem, so i don't think my car need a special filter.
    What do you think ?

Best reguards
    Mickael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome, glad you joined us!

There are features of the filter for upside down application, IIRC there's a standpipe and backflow preventer valve..

Can you find a Baldwin B253???

I'm not sure of the impact of the dry sump system on this, maybe others will chime in!

3. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The oil pump makes a lot of noise and vibration, especially when cold. The filter cannot cause any noise by itself, it is picking up vibration from somewhere and amplifying it. I'm guessing the oil pump. Check your oil cooler, it may be vibrating as well.

Dave

4. 308gtb.ferrari

Dec 11, 2006
    #4 308gtb.ferrari, Jul 3, 2007
    Thanks.

The vibrations really seems to come from the oil filter, but i don't understant why.

My car has 3 oil pump. If i look the oil lubrification schema, i can see that the 2 oil pumps who sucks the oil from the sump are in the bottom of motor and the principal oil pump is at the opposite of the motor. The oil pumps are not near the oil filter.

Hardtop, when you say "The oil pump makes a lot of noise and vibration, especially when cold." do you think this noize is normal ?

BigTex, why this filter "Baldwin B253" ? It does not have a valve ?

thanks

Mickael

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I owned a QV some time ago and had occasion to change the bushings on the oil cooler. The car emitted a tremendous whine that increased with rpm and was worse when cold. What happened was the oil cooler was making contact with the frame rail next to it thus transmitting and amplifying vibration from the pump. It's hard to believe how loud it was. A tech told me once that the characteristic whine that 308's and 328's have when cold is from the oil pump. I have never heard of an oil filter doing this, but it's all I can think of.

Dave

6. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

Michael, dont concern yourself with the pump in the sump, it is only to scavenge oil from the sump and return it to the reservoir. It is the feed pump in the front cover that would generally cause noise or pulsing issues you could hear or feel in the filter. There is a pressure relief valve on the front cover, accessed from the large brass screw cap near the pump area. Its possible the relief valve is bouncing for some reason, perhaps some grit in it somewhere, a weakened spring, or a oil cooler hose may have an embelism and is expanding/contracting.

What weight oil are you running?

7. 308gtb.ferrari

Dec 11, 2006
    #7 308gtb.ferrari, Jul 8, 2007
    Hello,

When you say:
    "It is the feed pump in the front cover"
    What front cover ? I can't see it.

The pressure relief valve may be the part 15 in the schematic ?

I can't understand this sentence:
    "oil cooler hose may have an embelism and is expanding/contracting"

What is an "embelism" ?
    Sorry i'm french

For the oil, i don't know, i bought this car recently and the oil was new and clean.

Thanks
    Best Reguards
    Mickael