R.I.P. s/n 5409 | FerrariChat

R.I.P. s/n 5409

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jsa330, Jul 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For several weeks after the May 11th accident in my 1964 330 2+2, I was confident that it would be repairable within the bounds of the insurance coverage, since the structural chassis, engine and drive train, and other major mechanical components were not damaged.

However, this was not to be. The front-diagonal collision caused extensive direct impact damage as well as torsional stress damage to the entire front body area, and this stress was transmitted to the door jamb areas, causing serious deformation there as well.

Estimated costs for the work required were astronomical. Hagerty, after an extended effort to effect a repair solution, declared the car a total loss on June 6th, and I received the agreed-value settlement check last week.

My wife, though she loved the 330, was always fearful of my driving in heavy Dallas traffic in a 40+ year old car with no up-to-date safety features. The accident was indeed serious, and I could have been killed or badly injured within the difference of a second or two. We’re not getting any younger, and she wants to keep me around as long as possible…I can’t argue with that.

I’ve agreed to her terms: A very late-model sports/GT car, Ferrari included, is OK by her. No More Old Cars, period. Any sports/GT car we buy has to have an automatic transmission or something that functions as such, so she can drive.

I’ve always said that #5409 would be my first and last Ferrari, and now, after a little research into the asking prices, depreciation downside, and maintenance costs for late-model automatic and F1-equipped Ferraris, I see that this prediction is going to prove true. A new Porsche Cayman or BMW 3-Series would be the more practical all round way to go...when it comes to Ferraris, I'm a Vintage guy all the way, and a near-new Ferrari just isn't worth the ownership costs to me.

So, it’s been a good Ferrari ride. I’m thankful to have been able to own one of these great automobiles for nearly five years…it was an old dream which was fulfilled, but now it’s time to move on.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sorry to hear. I hate to see a vintage car head to the scrap pile. But, the great news is you didn't go with it!

How about a compromise? Pick up a BMW M3 with the SMG tranny (You can stick it in auto mode when you need to, or slap the paddles if you want to) and a nice used Boxster S for the weekend run about.

My wife wanted a fun drop top for weekend jaunts to go with the Dino, so I'm spending all of $20K to get into a nice '01 Boxster S.

I understand the old car fear. I blink twice and say a little prayer every time I pass a truck in the Dino. My windows come to mid wheel on them.

Keep us up to date on the choice, and again, remember, cars can be replaced, you can not. (And your wife, like mine, cares enough to ask you not to drive a 60's suicide car again.)

DM

3. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Certainly glad to hear you're ok, most importantly!

How about a Maser Gran Sport? Even a Ferrari 456 can be had "relatively inexpensively" and I hear they're great cars. The 456 would certainly be a solid replacement for the 330, V-12 grand touring layout and all.

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi
    '83 400iA

4. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Sad passing! but alas you will bless the day you bought a Cayman.

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Aaron nailed it! Xlnt choices.....

james

6. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I was looking for a late model car to drive daily and had some of the same conditions your wife imposed (safe, air bags, modern safety structures, reliable, etc.) I came to the conclusion that for the price of a BMW 5 series or so, I could own (with careful shopping and patience) a Ferrari 456 or a Maserati Coupe. I recently bought a 456. I don't think I could have gone wrong with either car.

I for one encourage you to explore this avenue, don't give up the dream.

All the best.
    Alberto

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Damn shame whenever a vintage V12 goes out. Driving mine in city traffic is so nerve-rattling I just don't do it any more........air conditioners on, watching the GPS or (holy crap!) DVD player, on the cell phone, texting, reading, applying makeup, can't read English road signs, whacking the kid in the back seat, driving with the dog in the lap,....hell, every car on the road seems to be a weapon cocked and pointed right at me.

Repalcement under the parameters you mentioned? Well, I don't know how much Haggerty gave you, but I really like the new Aston Martins.

Good luck!

Jack

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Sorry for your loss.

I hate to see the car end up at one of the well known "chop shops". It probably could have been bought back pretty cheap. A complicated restoration no doubt but always possible.

9. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Perhaps you should consider buying the wreck back from the insurance and storing it for the future rather than dismantling it. Who knows, quite possibly by 2020 or 2025 its value will be so high that the restoration costs will start to make sense again.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1, and agree with 2NA.

I must say that the chassis and construction of these older Ferraris are tank like so myself I cannot think of a much safer car to be in ...

... but can understand not wanting to drive in modern day traffic.
    Pete
    ps: Glad you are okay :).

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Scott,

My condolences.

Regards,

Art S.

12. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    JSA330 Sad news, you should let Kerry Chesbro know so he can update the Registry. Good hunting, M

13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks to all of you for the replies.

330 Registry has been updated.

There will be an eventual replacement for the 330, but first we've got a major housebuilding project and a then big "downsizing" house sale and move to make...if we're finished with it all by this time next year I'll feel lucky.

Current automotive plans: our Merc Gran Marquis, inherited from my wife's dad, is going sooner or later in a "giveaway" deal to a worthy and needy friend, and we'll rely on the 4Runner for a driver/light hauler during our construction and moving.

The car suggestions are great. The insurance settlement would more than cover a new Porsche or BMW, and puts me comfortably in the range for a really nice 456. A Maser or Aston would be cool, but a tough sell for my wife and I like the more familiar options better anyway.

All possibilities for keeping the 330 were explored before accepting the settlement. I could have indeed bought it back reasonably and stored it, and James Patterson of Norwood Performance here in Dallas was ready and willing to help me out by taking it on as a longterm restoration project. But, the accident was a big emotional shock for Mrs. jsa330, and in respect for her feelings I have foresworn old....pre-2000's...cars.

Of course, the within-means option that appeals most to my Ferrari-loving soul is the 456 with automatic. Given that at minimum it's going to be close to a year before we buy a replacement for the 330, I'd like to do some extended and detailed research on this model...any correspondence with current owners, former owners, or anyone else knowledgeable would be most appreciated.

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Scott,

If you are staying with Ferraris, get a 400 2+2 it's a little earlier than the 2000 cut off but a great car with an auto box and the best ones are in the $30K range. If you are moving on, a relatively new Maserati would be a great choice. I suspect that these choices will go over better with Mrs. jsa330 than an all out sportscar would.

Regards,

Art S.

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Art,

At this point, mrs. jsa330 would rather me buy a $100K car with airbags, etc, than a $30K car without. She also doesn't like the look of the 400/412 Series cars and regards them as guaranteed mechanical nightmares...the direct result of owning a BMW 635 for 5 years.

She assimilated a lot of Ferrari culture while I had the 330 and is a lover of the mystique and legend...a late yet relatively affordable model such as a 456 automatic in super-good condition is my best bet on another Ferrari, and it's a long shot at best.

I'd rather go with a tried-and-true Porsche than something like a Maser or Aston...they don't appeal to me and are a little much on the pretentious side. Quizzically, a Ferrari isn't!

Keep in touch...scott

16. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Let's just cut to the chase:

Who will end up with the car? How much do they want for the engine, transmission, and frame? When will it be for sale?

17. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Very sorry for your loss, Scott; glad you're ok. Do you have a picture of her in her prime?

18. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    in a manner of speaking, [before I give Hagerty a general question call], what does Hagerty do with these. Is there a clearing house?

19. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I knew of a Corvette rebuilder who was under contract with an insurance company to buy ALL of their Corvette salvage cars, regardless of condition. No doubt somebody has a similar inside connection with Hagerty regarding Ferraris.

I think there is an unwritten law that such cars absolutely MUST pass through several wheeler dealers who add on additional layers of profit making before any actual enthusiast gets a chance to own the rebuildable project hulk.

20. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    that's what I was afraid of, that this is actually a more 'doable' fixer upper, and that now, it will be layered on, and parted out etc.

shame, but understand the original owners problem.

21. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I have no problem with the original owner. One has to look at the best option. What gets my goat regarding salvage cars is the closed system,...or
    "good ole boy" network that these cars go through. The owner settles with the insurance company who then send the car to a salvage auction. That is where the roadblock begins. The salvage auctions around here will NOT let anybody bid on the cars except licensed car dealers. Most won't even let you through the gate without a dealer's license. It all smells of price fixing that always benefits the good old boy system. Dealer #1 buys the car and sells it to dealer #2 who grows weary of his "get rich quick" pipe dream and then runs it back through the salvage auction where dealer #3 buys the car. And so it goes down the line.

I once offered a dealer $3200 for a theft recovered 75 Corvette convertible that was missing engine and transmission. He started stuttering and stammering about how he couldn't take the offer. I then "reminded" him that he had only paid $1700 for the car at the salvage auction because a friend of mine with a dealer's license watched it cross the auction block. The jig was up. He knew that I knew that he was just trying to get rich quick off one junky car. I said "thanks for the look" and drove off.

22. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Appreciate the good thoughts, Bryan. A pic will be in my profile shortly.

Closely guarded secret.

23. Nemo4

Nemo4 Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

How about this for a suggestion? A new (not used) sports car with superb design and performance. Wonderful history and racing tradition. Four hundred horsepower; four hundred pound feet of torque. Zero to sixty in 4.3 seconds. One hundred and eighty-six MPH top end. Six-speed sequential automatic. Removable top. Room for two golf bags. Bullet-proof and serviced nationwide at non-stratospheric rates. Low fifties MSRP. Yes, of course, it's a Corvette.

My Dino 246GT has given me smiles for over 31 years. The Corvette is the perfect companion: astounding bang for the buck. And, unlike, the Porsches and BMWs, which are a pfennig-a-dozen here in L.A., it's a much less common sight (and genuinely appreciated by those who truly understand what a superb auomobile can do).

Try it; you'll like it.

And, congratulations on being alive.

24. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nemo 4...a '65 or '66 Vette has always been high on my vintage car wishlist, and I briefly thought about looking for one as a replacement for the Ferrari, before "swearing off" old cars.

I owned a '63 split-window coupe many years ago and a '69 big block roadster from '95 to '99...I know what you mean about reasonable maintenance costs.

The new Corvette body style is really good looking, and its other qualities speak for themselves. I was recently with a friend in his late model Vette, I think Z4? equipped, and performance was nothing short of beastly.

You've rung a bell with me. Some comparative Corvette tire kicking along with same for Porsches and BMWs is an excellent idea.

Yes, its good to be alive...thanks.