I'm not really a "music" person.... | FerrariChat

I'm not really a "music" person....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ricambi America, Aug 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#1 Ricambi America, Aug 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With a 5 hour road trip coming this weekend in the 348 (headed to the beach with the FCA), Mrs. JRR wanted some tunes in the car. I agree -- even XOST and Hyperflow would get tiring for 5 hours.

The car has a 2003(?) Alpine 7892 headunit which is about as basic as they come. It does however, have an AiNet output which I never knew how to use. Well, a quick call to the experts at Crutchfield on Sunday night was very very worthwhile!! For about $100, I bought an Alpine KCA420i iPod adapter, and installed it in about 20 minutes. Guess what? Fantastic sound with full headunit control of Mrs. JRR's iPod! Works like a champ, and is completely discreet. The iPod sits in the glovebox and all control is on the faceplate of the stereo with scrolling text. In the below pictures, I pulled it out just to take a snap -- there is enough cable for the passenger to easily answer an incoming telephone call if necessary. Heck, with the iPhone, the passenger can surf the web too -- while we listen to the tunes. :)

In a 348, it is so damn easy to reach the stereo connections -- I didn't even remove a single console plate. Just stick your head into the passenger footwell, and everything is accessible.

Now, the best part?? Despite what everyone said....Mrs. JRR's iPhone works in this adapter too. Scrolling text, etc. The iPhone does appear to be fully compatible with the Alpine 7892 and KCA420i. Very cool.

Just thought I'd post this so it gets sucked into the archives for future searches.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

(Edit: car is dusty... I was playing with the evaporator flap, and got it close for the first time in about 20 years. The cumulative dust of Tutankhamen's tomb blew everywhere because of the increased air volume)

3. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    what is the evaporator flap? Do I have one ?

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You need one. Daniel has them.

5. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

The "recirculation" button on your A/C controller activates a flapper door that allows (or disallows) fresh air. Open the front trunk. Look inside the airbox directly in front of the windscreen. There should be a flapper door on the passenger side that is connected to a little actuator. When you press the recirc-button, that door moves up and down.

6. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Actually I don't. They don't exist as a spare. It's a steel plate with foam on both sides.

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks for sharing Daniel. :):)

8. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    yeah, will have to see if this works when I get my car back....

9. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Sounds like something someone would ask in a sex ed class.

10. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    hahahaha... nice installation

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms