Save the dolphins | FerrariChat

Save the dolphins

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by kvisser, Aug 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #1 kvisser, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today a fellow fchatter brought out his latest aquisition, a very special Lamborghini se30. It has a very special paint job. The original owner was some kind of marine artist and used this car as a prop in his showroom.

For some reason, the new owner wants to remove the dolphins. I feel we should save the dolphins.

I'll put it out there to the community.

discuss

respectfully,

Ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    I'm sure the owner's wife also has a stencil for paisley

3. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Fishy. Very fishy.

4. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    I would keep the dolphins. this car is famous because of its paint job and its unique. SAVE THE DOLPHINS!

5. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Let the owner do as he pleases. For me, I would strip to bare metal and start all over.

-dsd

6. newmembersteve

newmembersteve Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    If I'm not mistaken, the artist is Christian Lassen, we've got a couple of his (non-car) pieces. One of his galleries is in Vegas and had a Lamborghini (not this one) painted up. According to the salesman, they were asking somewhere in the ballpark of $400,000 for the car. It wasn't something I would do to a Lambo, but, again according to the salesman, Lassen does a couple of these a year and has no trouble selling them.

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

you said that on porpoise.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ken.

That thing is GOD AWFUL UGLY.

From purple nose to tail. At least with the dolphins, it's uniquely ugly. Take away the cute little swimmers painted on it and you have a regular butt ugly purple car.

I say leave 'em on, go for the whole nine yards of awful.

DM

9. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    that is the artist and if im not mistaken this was his personal car, he had a black diablo in Caesars with a cheetah on it, then a few years later a fully painted 348 spider was there

10. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T
    The standard lamborghini will depreciate in value. As a piece of art by a famous artist, the car will probably appreciate! The new owner obviously can live with it being purple with dolphins or he shouldn't have bought it. There are plenty of lambos on the market in many colors!

leave the dolphins!

11. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Most artists haven't been recognized for their work until after they've kicked the bucket. Perhaps an "accident" is in order? They maybe you would see an appreciation in this car's value as art? :)

12. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Come to your senses man...Its a Lambo. It needs to be outrageous to come out of the shadow of Ferrari into the light of its own. Why else would the standard cars be so outrageous. SAVE THE DOLPHINS MAN. Jon in Delaware

13. JohnnyDents

JohnnyDents Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    philadelphia
    if the lambo was blue i'd say SAVE THE DOLPHINS but because it's painted purple...it should sleep with the fish's!

14. DetailGuy

DetailGuy Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    LOL - I have to agree. A nice Ocean Blue base on the car would have made the dolphin scheme much better!

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Christian might buy it back from you one day............ I'd keep it

16. Go Mifune

Go Mifune Karting

Dec 12, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve

Oh Jeez....... this debate will rage on forever. We bought the car IN SPITE of the stupid dolphins, because it is the extemely rare SE30. We dumped our money into making it mechanically perfect... .we'll get around to the paint next. The purple is the factory 30th anniversary color, which we'll keep, thanks..... (DM n Stuff :the question was about the dolphins - I think your car is butt ugly too and I haven't even seen it or know what it is thank you very much). The purple might not be everyone's thing -fine, have your boring red.

Lassen can't sell his "art" cars to save his aquatic a**. I have nothing against his work, but the market has resoundingly proven that it is worth the negative value of scraping it off when it comes to having applied to exotic cars. The salesman was full of fish poop. All the Lassen art cars have failed to sell unless they were discounted to the normal value less the cost of a repaint.

Having to put up with all the crap about the dolphins is just the price we must pay to enjoy the raw thrill of a well set-up SE30 Diablo on a good road. I'll live with the dolphins for a while for that....... but as soon as the repaint fund is ready.........

17. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    This one should be saved for prosperity.

In Pictures.

Off with their heads !!!

18. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
  19. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    Hey Steve,

I put the poll up in jest. I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers. I love purple and this car will look phenomenal when you get it back to the factory spec'ed limited edition color.

Let's not forget that this is a 570 hp special limted edition Lamborghini. It must absolutely rock down the road!

Enjoy your new car in good health!

cheers

ken

20. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    don't park it in the dupont circle area.

21. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    can you see them from inside? no. just drive the car. anyone who doesn't like it will be way behind you.

22. dododge

dododge Karting

Sep 24, 2006
    #22 dododge, Aug 20, 2007
    As soon as I saw the thread title I knew it had to be about this car :)

I didn't get a close-up of it, but someone looking closely noticed that the three dolphins on the passenger side are supposed to represent a family, and momma dolphin has her eyes painted to suggest little eyelashes.

23. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    i woulda removed the dolphins before bringing that thing out in public. Who cares if it's someone famous that painted it...its awful. But i do love the color.

24. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Can a vinyl graphics company make vinyl images of the exact dolphin paintings so that you can have the best of both worlds?

I think vinyl companies can do any kind of custom advertising wraps on cars these days.

That is, 99% of the time it is a standard purple-colored Lambo and, on special occassions, the car appears as the original Lassen art version. Even though the "original work of painted art" will be lost forever, a single version of the "print of the art" would still exist (number 1 of 1 for the print).

This would retain some of the potential resale value just in case Lassen-painted cars become worth a fortune in the future.

25. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #25 wax, Aug 20, 2007