Headlight removal...need instruction. | FerrariChat

Headlight removal...need instruction.

Discussion in '360/430' started by brokenarrow, Aug 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Tonight while out driving, as I pulled into the driveway a snake slithered by. I jumped out and caught him so the kids could check him out. As I released the garden snake and headed back to my car, I noticed the spots and hazing on the inside lens of my car. It is incredibly noticeable.

I can't live with it. So, I need to get them out of the car before I start messing with the housing. I went through the manual and the forum and was unable to find anything with regard to removal. Does anyone know how to remove them?

I will share anything I am able to accomplish, which may be nothing.

Thanks~

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Good posts, but nothing on the removal. I can't even attempt an opening unless I get them out. Also, if I mess-it-up, where can I get new ones,..cheap. First I'm going to attempt the schwab, then removal, then...replacement. I've seen them for 1500 ea, but can't remember where.

I must say, I'm rather surprised no one has attempted themselves and posted pics. You guys are usually on the fringe of R&R, and there may be a good reason why. It's to bad that someone has to do it, and pathetic that it has to be me. There are better equiped men out there for such a mission, and yet I am going in...

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Found the directions:

Pages 561-564 of the 360 Ferrari Workshop Manual Volume II. I pray I can get them clean enough using homemade devices, of sorts so I don't I have to pull them. I'll take pics...

Bummer they don't have a similar headlight installation/removal process as the Porsche models, where you install a hexagonal tool, turn, and the light pops out. I swear I can do it in 30 seconds. Oh well...

4. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Good luck Bill. This is one of those items I tried to warn you about when you were looking for a 360. Most likely I did not make it "clear" enough. The headlight problem on the 360s ranks up there with the melting parts on a 355 ....

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #6 brokenarrow, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I hear you Tony. I checked these lights out pretty well, I thought. At night, with the lights on is when it becomes readily apparent. Here are pics of my left and right light.

The process of removing the wheel, headlight window, fan cover, inside wheel well covers and access to the rear of the lights.

I fashioned a cleaning device out of a center part of a hanger (the cardboard piece) and some window cleaning towels taped with blue tape to keep it on. I'd be really bummed if the cloth came off in the light. Can you imagine driving your car around to the dealer with a towel in there. Man, I'd just bust the light before I let them get a laugh on me.

Okay, now that I'm in and cleaning I am surprised at the access you have to the actual lens using this device, but it's just not enough. You can clean perhaps 35% of the lens through the big hole an 10% through the small one. If I could remove the halogen device it would give me complete access but the bolts are recessed within the housing. If you had the light out, maybe a little more access.

Next step; remove the lights and bake them. But first, I need a contingency plan if this doesn't workout. I need to know where I can get a set fast if this is not satisfactory.

B~
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Hey Bill you are a man on a mission! Thanks for the great pics, can't wait to see the results.

Now if I could convice Ray to do this for me I would would be very happy :)

7. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #8 brokenarrow, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ray's hanging back to see how he can improve on my process. I'm seeking replacements now so I can get them fast after I blow mine up.

I'm reveiwing the diagrams to see exactly what you get...

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    haha.. well, I do owe you some favors! :) If it wasn't for all the help back in the 90's on Unix/Linux and our servers, I don't know what I'd be doing right now! :)

Ray

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Note the HOSE hanging down. That's for gathering dust and moisture...

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Did you see that one post a while back, where someone was saying that the cause of the dirty headlights is because that hose is put on backwards (or something along those lines) in some cases?

Ray

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yeah, I saw that. I looked at it closely and it appears to be a means of allowing the pressure to remain in equallibrium otherwise when the lights come on and heat-up, it could blow-up. There has to be some means for medium expansion to be acommodated. I would have thought they would have made them in a vacuum to allow for this. Instead, they have some hose hanging down. Ferrari knows damn well they screwed up on this design. Not the subsequent designs. In fact, note the replacment cost of the head lights on later models, in some cases, they are $200, which beats the hell out of $1500+.

Once I get mine on the bench I'll figure out the damn things. I'm pretty sure it will cost me some headlights. I'm okay with that as I can't live with what I have so they are a foregone conslusion now.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    head lights come up on ebay once in a while. Might be worth buying a single odd ball one off ebay to test with - before working on yours.

Ray

13. THE BEAST 360

THE BEAST 360 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    Thanks for trying to figure out how to fix this problem! I thought about replacing mine but what is the point...they will just look bad again in a matter of time. I put $30.00 worth of tint on mine and I think it looks better. That’s how I'm fixing the problem for now (see a picture under view public profile). If you or anybody else decides to buy tint don’t buy it from the guy on eBay he is an SOB and his film doesn’t cover the lenses completely. I ultimately went to a local tint shop and they did a great job.

14. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Nathan, your car looks absolutely sinister with the tinted head-lamps. Love the yellow tow-hook in the front.
    Nice job,
    Frank

cpd1501 likes this.
  15. William Tell

William Tell Karting

Sep 2, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Villi
    I know this is an old thread and I am sorry to re-activate it, but I have spent the last hour reading through threads, and not really found an answer to my problem.

My left headlamp "fogs up" on the inside when the weather is cold or humid. I leave it for a few days, and it will clear up. It is a minor problem, but it bothers me no end when I park the car after a drive, and take a last look before leaving the garage, and the car is no longer perfect - the headlights have condensation on the inside, it drives me mad.

Should I try to clean out that hose? Turn the hose around? Remove the bulb and wipe the inside (as shown above)? Buy new headlights for USD 1´500.00? Drive real fast to get the wind in there and clear up the "fog"? Get over it?