[Lancaster] Warbirds On Parade & Car Show - Saturday 9/8/07 | FerrariChat

[Lancaster] Warbirds On Parade & Car Show - Saturday 9/8/07

Discussion in 'Texas' started by rob lay, Sep 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Greg, Ron, and I are going to give this Warbird and Car show a try. Which planes make it depend on the weather, but last year there were a few dozen including a B-17 and P-51. First year they've added a car show, but organizer said there will be a 80's and 90's class. For $10 to charity you can get a pic of your car with a P-51.

Warbirds arrive early, but plane show is officially 10-4 and car show 9-2:30. I might be there early as 7:30am to watch the planes arrive.

Car show info...

Warbirds On Parade - When: Saturday September 8th Where: Lancaster Airport Lancaster, Texas ( 650 Ferris Rd. between I-35 and I-45 on Beltline Rd) We are having our annual Open Cockpit Day this years theme is Warbirds On Parade. I am having a car show (The First Annual Warbirds On Parade Car Show) during this event. Registration will be from 0900-1030 (9:00am - 10:30am) judging from 1100-1300 (11:00am-1:00pm) with awards at 1430 (2:30pm) Entry fee will be $15.00 and there will be an opportunity for participants to take a picture of their car next to a P-51 Mustang for a $10 donation. For more information please e-mail me at [email protected]

http://www.dfwwing.com/

DFW Wing Annual Open Cockpit Day, Lancaster, TX.,
    September 8, 2007, 10.00am - 4.00pm.
    "Warbirds on Parade"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are indebted to our Sponsors for the event, past and present.
    Please come and join us for an enjoyable day of exhibits and events.

Rides on our R4D-6S, BT-15 and L-5 will be available for sale after 4.00pm.

Click here for driving directions to our facilities at Lancaster Airport

Aircraft will start arriving at 7.30am, and will depart after 4.00 pm.

Note: Open Cockpit Day is principally a static display, not an airshow.

Aircraft scheduled to be on display (operational schedules and weather permitting):
    Note: some aircraft still awaiting confirmation. ** subject to change without notice **

Douglas R4D-6S, Vultee BT-15 and Stinson L-5.
    North American P-51D Mustang.
    Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress.
    North American SNJ-5 and T-6 Texans (several).
    Douglas A-26B Invader: (yet to be confirmed).
    Goodyear FG-1D Corsair: (yet to be confirmed).
    Fairchild PT-19 Cornell.
    A6M2 Zero replica.
    1947 Beech JRB (U.S. Navy version of the C-45 Expeditor).
    Stearmans: U.S. Navy N2S-4 and Army PT-17.
    Bell H-13 (military Bell 47 helicopter).
    Mi-14 Hind and Mi-2 Soviet military helicopters.
    Antonov AN-2.
    L-19 Birddog.
    Aeronca L-3 and Piper L-4.
    Various vintage military jets including Aero L-29 Delfin and L-39 Albatross. Possibly some MIG examples.
    Other exhibits and attractions: ** subject to change without notice **

CAF Dallas/Fort Worth Wing PX (Gift Shop) on site.
    CAF Dallas/Fort Worth Wing Museum.
    Classic and vintage cars.
    WWII military vehicles and displays.
    Re-enactment/living history groups and displays (communications equipment, radios, field phones, telegraphs, paratrooper gear etc.).
    Military memorabilia.
    Refreshments will be available for sale.

2. Greg Scott

Greg Scott Karting

Mar 18, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg Scott
    No word yet about dancers being present.

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    A good cause to support to keep the old birds flying - we used to be involved with the DFW wing many moons ago (when it used to be the CAF and the big show was in Harlingen) and have a few sponsorships on the R4D. The A-26 group out of Waco are a great bunch of folks.

Carol

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I will proudly be wearing my new Tuskegee Airmen shirt to this Confederate Air Force event. :)

P-51 Mustang is doubtful, but a Corsair is confirmed, one of only 38 in the world flying.

5. The Godmother

The Godmother Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Marci H.
    A Corsair? Shades of Baa Baa Black Sheep! Loved that show. :)

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, first two years of show are out on DVD, I need to get that ordered.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Uh,....mmmmm,......wouldn't that be the Commerative Air Force these days??? The politically correct revisionist historians made the CAF pretend that the Confederacy never existed and should be stricken from the historical record. And in a whimpy move, they caved in to the political correctness. However, I still have my 1969 vintage CONFEDERATE Air Force poster with a B-24 on the front and don't plan to revise the name.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes you are right, but you see what I called it. :)

9. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    For the CAF fans don't forget that headquarters is in Midland. In a weekend trip you can visit Jim Hall's Chaparral Museum as well as the "heavies" at the CAF headquarters. Fifi was in the hanger getting new wiring harnesses and new wing skins when I saw her last. First time I saw that B-29 was nearly 30 years ago.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    High on my list to get out there. Might wait until next summer when I'm allowed to rent the Skylane and take some other people. Not as fun of trip in a Skyhawk and just one other person.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  12. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Excellent photos Tillman, here's some more info I found on that B-17G. You also visit it just north of downtown Ft. Worth at south end of Meacham International Airport.

www.vintageflyingmuseum.org

When 44-8543 left the Lockheed/Vega plant it was modified into a pathfinder equipped with BTO radar instead of a ball turret. It started its military career when it was delivered to the USAAF on January 1944. Although military records are not available, Vega built -70 block B-17s were consistently sent to combat with the 8th and 15th Air Forces in Europe and there are repairs on the belly of Chuckie that could possibly be evidence of repaired combat damage.

When military records became available it shows Chuckie assigned as a TB-17G to base units at Patterson Field, Ohio with the Air Technical Services Command. It was given duties with the All Weather Flying Center, to develop equipment and procedures for all weather flying. On 09 November 1952, it was modified into a ETB-17G and used by the Federal Telecommunications Corporation based at Westchester Airport, New York as a flying electronic test bed modified with large wing-tip antennas and other electronic test equipment.. It was based at Westchester until 1957 when it was moved to Teterboro Airport, New Jersey until it finished its military service in 1959.

It served with the USAF until 1959 when it was finally sold as surplus to American Compressed Steel Corporation for $5,026.00. American Compressed Steel registered 44-8543 as N3701G and prepared it for sale on the civil market by installing cargo doors on the right waist. On 06 February 1961 it was purchased by a Fort Lauderdale company, Albany Building Company and used for hauling vegetables from Andros Island off the coast of Florida to Fort Lauderdale. On 15 May 1962 it was sold to John Gregory of Fort Lauderdale, but its use by this owner is unknown. On 07 March 1963 it was bought by Dothan Aviation of Dothan Alabama. Under contract by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Dothan Aviation added tanks and spray bars for low level attacks against fire ants in Florida and Georgia. In 1976 when the spraying was discontinued it sat abandoned until 1979.

On 04 October 1979, after twenty years of civilian duty it was rescued by Dr. William. D. Hospers. Hospers had long wanted to acquire a B-17 when he found the abandoned fire ant sprayer in reasonable condition at Dothan. Hospers decivilianized Chuckie and painted it in the markings of the 486th Bomb Group, the colors it may have actually worn during combat years before. It is named after his wife Chuckie Hospers who was instrumental in forming the B-17 CoOp, an organization that brings together owners of B-17s and pools their resources. Chuckie is now a featured attraction at air shows today.

13. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Nice pics Tillman. Thanks for posting them.

I'm a Airforce brat and I always loved going to the air shows when I was a kid. I can't believe I missed this one. CAF is always neat to see. They look like they're moving so slow when they fly.... :)

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #17 rob lay, Sep 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry missed you Phil, I didn't get there until 9:30. I was running behind and thought I would miss everything flying in, but turned out many of the planes flew in late too. Tillman's pics cover most of everything. The B-17 and B-25 were the highlights for me, also cool was the Sea Fury coming and going, formation Texans, and formation L-39's. The P-26 Invader did a flyby after taking off. Car show was somewhat light and mostly Mustangs, but first year they've done this. It really was a fun day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
  16. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #19 Horsefly, Sep 10, 2007
    For the electronic buffs among us, a little more info. Curious as to which aircraft the radio photo was taken inside of? LM-13 frequency meters were navy equipment. The ART-13 was a later auto-tune transmitter not usually installed in a B-17 which normally used the
    BC-375 if memory serves me correctly. The BC-348 is standard WWII fare, installed in many aircraft like the B-17.
    NEVER lose the spiral bound frequency booklet for an LM-13. They were individually calibrated and each book goes with its own frequency meter. Loose the book and its pretty much worthless. The frequency booklet for the ART-13 was non "unit specific".
    (just going by memory). My BC-348 and LM-13 are in storage. Doesn't everybody have one???!!!

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The R4D

18. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #21 AnotherDunneDeal, Sep 10, 2007
    Great photos Tillman.

They also have a great airshow out in Midland. The Commemorative Air Force (previously Confederate Air Force) does their annual re-enactment of the whole air theater of WWII, including pyrotechnics. The previous president of the CAF is Joe Mabee and has owned a good number of Ferraris and is a cool guy.

If you guys get a chance to go out there, it is worth the trip. You can stop by the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum and view the Chaparrals of Jim Hall also. Worth a roadtrip to do..........

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Very special, a B-24. I like the metal finish on the SNJ.

20. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Something about the old "Warbirds" just does something to a person who has any aviation blood in them at all. The re-enactment they do in Midland is something to behold, Zeros, Messerschmidts, P-38, P-51, Spitfires, B-17, B-24, B-29 and a whole lot more.

I wish I had had last weekend off to go to Lancaster, dang it...........

21. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #24 AnotherDunneDeal, Sep 11, 2007