BBI/Pioneer KE-4300 Radio Repair-101 | FerrariChat

BBI/Pioneer KE-4300 Radio Repair-101

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Dave Bendl, Sep 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #1 Dave Bendl, Sep 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    During the return drive to Chicago from FCA's Annual Meet held in Corning, NY I noticed something was malfunctioning with the master power switch in my BBI's (ser 40565) Belgium made Pioneer KE-4300 radio. This switch also controls power to the matching equalizer. The switch was working intermittently having to depress the switch several times to turn on or off the radio and equalizer.

Had this happened during the field competition only a couple of days earlier, it would have killed my Boxer during the extremely stringent Coppa Bella Macchina (follow-up to the 95+ point Platino) award competition.

Yesterday I decided to remove the radio for bench inpection and testing. Using an OHM meter I found the master power switch (black switch) located at the tail end of the control had intermittent continuity. After teardown down of the radio to component level, I found one of the copper contacts had broken away from the white plastic retainer disc. After scuffing and cleaning both components with light sandpaper and electronics grade cleaner, a small dab of J-B Weld was applied allowing the epoxy to form new drive pins as the intact one has. I attribute the failure to lack of use of the radio.

The switch works via cam drive changing linear motion (press on-off) to rotating motion allowing contacts inside the switch housing to rotate. My bench mounted illuminated magnifier came in handy for this project since these are very small components.

While apart, I will etch both the car's serial number and the units serial number in several areas inside and outside of the unit using an electric pencil. I'll do the same to the equalizer since working units are rare and expensive these days.

After a full cure of the epoxy I'll test the bond then begin the reassembly process.

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Dave , I have a few of these radios i have purchased in Europe ( some chatters have expressed interest!) and was thinking about cleaning and possible replace the belts if necessary.
    I think you are the only one who has repaired yourself. Anyway i might need your input when i start doing this. If you have anymore pictures or information this would be helpful . When i finish the radios i will make a thread and explain what i did.The condition range from really nice to super dirty and dusty inside.

Dave

By the way , Your radio is a KE 4300B exclusive for the BBi. The KE 4300 radios were slightly different without Ero Band 20mc.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    do they have a belt for the tuner or is it all electronic? My tuner needle doesnt work.

4. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David

Actually do not know! figured all radios have some type of belts.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The "needle" is actually not a needle at all, but a series of lights that illuminate the particular station tuned to... how do I know you may ask...because I had my radio rebuilt a few years back because my faux needle was not working...

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Frank but I want first hand info. Im sure you're correct but I would like to hear this from Dave who has actually looked inside one. That way I KNOW rather than just think.

7. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #7 Dave Bendl, Sep 24, 2007
    I disassembled the unit from the chassis further than I needed for the switch repair so I could etch the serial numbers in a number of places.
    I am posting some additional photos of the internals including some of the tuner. The only belt in this unit is for the cassette drive module. The tuner panel is competely electronic, and is connected to the main circuit board via soldered ribbon cable. As Frank pointed out, the needle is a series of lights within the tuner panel.
    The cassette unit is a removable internal module that has (2) pin connectors. I checked the belt for any degregation, but it looks good.
    Let me know if you need photos of anything specific while I have it apart.
    Dave

8. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Dave,

You're GOOD!!

9. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
  10. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Oh man... I'm looking at that last photo and thinking "belt failure, bearing failure, broken gear teeth at 6000 rpm" LoL!

11. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Maybe from listening to Hagar's "Can't drive 55"?

12. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks Dave , This helps alot.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes thanks dave, now I wont bother taking mine out to look inside. Ill send it out to get the tuner issue sorted out.

P.

14. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    No problem guys. Glad to help.

The JB Weld didn't bond well with the plastic disc, so I removed all traces of the epoxy and used a low heat soldering iron on the contact strip. It was just enough heat to slightly melt the plastic and bond the copper contact strip in place. Seems as though it is as strong as the intact strip.

Looks like my radio will live.
    Dave

15. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Dave, One more request. Can you post a close up shot of the tuner window with the lettering 'FRI EUR 20 MC LX'.

Thanks,
    Dave

16. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #16 Dave Bendl, Sep 26, 2007
    Tuner window below...If this isn't close enough let me know.
    Dave

17. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Dave, If you can give me a close up on the window only with all the lettering. I need to duplicate the lower band line.

Thanks again ,
    Dave

18. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #18 Dave Bendl, Sep 27, 2007
    Here's a better shot.
    Dave

19. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks again Dave.

20. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hi fellow KE-4300 owners
    My unit suffers from the same on/off switch sympthoms as Dave's unit did.
    Any known source for replacement switches by any chance?
    Thanks for information.
    Urs

21. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #21 Dave Bendl, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    I haven't heard or found anyone with replacement parts for these radios. One of the problems is finding a Sams Photofax on the unit (a manual package for service Techs) which included a listing of component part numbers. If you found one, with the part number you might be able to search the internet for a replacement switch. Otherwise, I would try repairing the switch and be done with it. Mine is still working fine after the repair.

Dave

22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #22 afterburner, Nov 7, 2009
    Dave

Thanks for your advice and posting the internal pictures of your radio inlcuding the switch fix. I need a stronger soldering iron to be able to undo the ground wires on the case so I can slide out the "internals".
    Also, I am in contact with the company that may be able to supply the Capstan belt (I guess that is the long one driving the tape?) and is checking for the on/off switch availability.
    My unit's belt is dry and totally loose. To my understanding, the unit only has 1 belt. Pioneer list 2 references though. Any idea what the other belt may be?
    By the way, the prices on the website are from 2007.

Veronika Höna
    Dönberg Electronics LTD
    Schoolmaster's House
    Ranafast - Co. Donegal
    Ireland

Registered in Ireland, No. 123828
    VAT No. IE-4689289J
    Directors: Gerd Höna, Veronika Höna

Web : http://www.donberg.ie/
    Email: [email protected]
    PGP : 1A08950E
    Tel: +353(0)74-95 482 75
    Fax: +353(0)74-95 710 31

Regards
    Urs

23. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #23 afterburner, Nov 29, 2009
  24. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #24 afterburner, Nov 29, 2009
    The faulty "on/off - volume - tone - balance" combination switch is not available anymore from Pioneer nor anyone else I contacted. With Dave's instructions (thank you again), I took the faulty "on/off" section of the switch apart and found, not surprisingly, both sliding contacts loose. Unfortunately the corresponding fixed contacts were worn beyond proper functioning too as I found out later. I superglued the contacts in place and put it all back together. Not much improvement, still not working properly... but I managed to switch the radio on, with lights and antenna trigger. I put switch into the 12V power supply line so I can leave the unit "on" but still switch it off when not in use. The switch is hidden in the front ash tray.

25. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #25 afterburner, Nov 29, 2009